What to do with valuables in Maui?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone! I'm still trying to plan our Maui vacation, and I have yet another question. I know not to leave valuables in the car unattended, but what do we do with valuables? We will want pictures along the Hana Highway, so what do we do with our digital camera while we are swimming and playing in some of the waterfall pools? Thanks in advance for all your help!
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 08:03 PM

The pools and waterfalls are small on Maui and you can probably keep an eye on a backpack etc. while you swim, there will probably be others there in your position. I have heard that if you make contact with others about your situation they are more likely to watch out for your stuff then if you don't say anything.

At boat stores or dive shops or sports authority, they have plastic waterproof cases (speedo-$3) that you could put a wallet or car keys in and swim with it floating around your neck with strap, but not sure if your camera is small enough to fit inside one.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 03:36 AM

Please see previous post "all our junk in Maui", will top it for you
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for topping that post. I'm just worried that those waterproof bags might not truly be waterproof enough. I would hate to see my digital camera (with all my pictures) destroyed.

What do you think about just tucking it into a cheapo backpack, along with beach towels and suntan lotion? Maybe asking someone nearby to help keep an eye on it for me?

Thanks again for all your help!
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 06:30 AM

We use the backpack method and keep an eye on it, if we don't feel safe then one person swims while the other tends the valuables and I always have had my camcorder with us which also takes digital stills, and so far no problems.

I have read some resorts offer waterproof digitalcamera rentals, which would be great if it came with a zoom feature. For basic photography, you could just bring an inexpensive waterproof or underwater disposable camera available at Walmart/Kmart and leave the valuables at your hotel. Walmart and Kmart can process and digitize the photos from these disposable cameras to CDs etc from within an hour to overnight.

For valuables in a waterproof case, I would double proof it by enclosing items first either in a ziplock bag or other leakproof container, before enclosing in the outer floating plastic case. Be sure to wipe off sand/dirt from the gasket with use.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 11:48 AM

I went to REI before our trip and bought one of the Sealine brand waterproof plastic bags. Although we didn't put our digital camera in it, we did put in our cell phone. It worked great. You can get small to fairly large ones. I think mine cost about $7-$9. They are guaranteed to protect your valuables for at least 30 minutes of continual submersion in somewhere like 30 meters of water. More than enough for playing and snorkeling. I would still be worried with the digital camera though I think.

We used the waterproof disposable cameras that you can get anywhere for those long day trips. They have always produced a good quality photo for us. They have a wrist strap that attach to your arm and float so you can get some really great "right under" the waterfall shots!

Hope this helps a little bit.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your suggestions!
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 05:51 PM

Protecting your valuables in Maui is no different than protecting your valuables when at home (assuming that you sometimes leave your residence). Common sense !!