What do you do with your wallet on the beach?

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you do with your wallet on the beach?

Hi -

We're off on a cruise to San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Martin, and Nassau in a couple of weeks.

On the last three we'll be engaged in some form of water sports either as part of a tour arranged through the line or on our own.

I don't want to sound paranoid, but I've read about the prevalence of petty (and not so petty) crime in the Caribbean. I know that tourists are a target anywhere you go.

I'm looking for advice from others on what do you do with wallets and stuff when you're on the beach? Do you post a guard from among your party or just carry the minimum in a waterproof pouch.

We're doing at least one of the underwater sightseeing things where if we brought a camcorder, it would need to be left on the boat. Has anyone had problems in this regard?

Thanks for your responses. I've found this a great site for research and advice.

Patrick
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 04:38 PM

Go to your local dive shop and get a dive wallet. You can strap it around your waist. It's a hard plastic, waterproof container that you can put your money and stuff in. They should have several sizes and colors to choose from. Enjoy!
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 06:27 AM

We usually just bring cash and I hide it in my beach bag, either in a book or in the bottom. Many men's bathing suits have zippered pockets or a secured inside pocket on the inside waisteband which closes with velcro. I have never had a problem with personal property, but I don't like having my cam corder out in the heat or sunlight. I would suggest a disposable underwater camera, the pictures are great both in and out of the water. If you do wish to use them, I suggest you buy some at home....we paid double the price!
If you must take your cam corder, keep it in your beach bag under some clothing in the shade. It should not be a problem. I have done this with my cameras and never had a problem
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 06:48 AM

Hi....

Well I have several thoughts and suggestions. On a private beach (hotel property and enclosed) I tend to be a little less cautious, but on public beaches to leave a wallet or camera under/in/with your bag is an invitation to problems.

I carry a small waterproof pouch with my room key, some cash etc., and generally leave the camera and photos for later. I do also however carry a small pocket camera (Nikon L35AWAF) that is totally waterproof to 10-15 feet under water and there are lots of times I simply take it into the ocean with me. Just rinse the camera off with fresh water when you come out to get the salt off and make sure it is totally dry before opening to change film.

One other thing I do. All my cameras have a split ring (key ring type) attached to one of the camera strap eyelets. Don't attach to the strap alone, it must be attached to the camera. Then I have a small Notebook Computer ALARM that attaches to this ring when necessary. It is a 120 decibel motion sensitive alarm and very loud. If I am forced to leave my camera, bag unattended, I just arm the alarm and keep within earshot of it. If anybody picks up the bag or camera, the alarm wails away and so far, no problems. By the way, I leave the alarm which is attached by a small thin steel cable, in full sight on the top of my bag so that any thief will clearly see the alarm. Cutting the cable would also trigger the alarm as it forms a trigger circuit.

These small alarms are available at most computer shops and cost about $50. USD. Cheap insurance.

Steve
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 07:15 AM

Holy Technology Batman!

I didn't even know about that stuff
thanks for the info!