Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

camera case Panny FZ50!!aLSO HAS ANYBODY FOUND A SOLUTION

Old May 28th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody know of a camera case to fit the Panasonic FZ50 I just don't know what to house it in and am worried about the dust. We have one camera designed carryon but my husband is using that for the camcorder, should we buy another? Help! I have only 2 weeks to go.Also has anybody found a solution to the fact the camera lens cover is not attached to the camera once you have removed it.
Old May 28th, 2007, 02:38 PM

Lowepro's website allows you to look up cases by type, and then gives dimensions. When you find the case you like you can click on retailers and the Lowepro site tells you who stocks their products. You could then call and see what those retailers have in stock. That way you could take the camera with you and make sure you like the fit.
Old May 28th, 2007, 03:09 PM

Hello,

Back when I had an FZ-20 I used a Crumpler 'Ben's Pizza' bag (I believe my pizza was a large).

If the FZ-50 is a similar size or a bit bigger, a 3 or 4 Million Dollar Home should fit the bill. Crumpler bags are great at keeping out dust.

If you go to a camera store they can sell you a little plastic wire with sticky stuff on both ends -- attach one end to the lens cap and the other to the camera.

Cheers,
Julian
Old May 28th, 2007, 04:35 PM

I love naneupro's bags (www.naneupro.com). They don't scream "expensive camera bag," and they are a lot cheaper than most.
Old May 29th, 2007, 03:42 AM

Keah05 ---- I also have a Panasonic FZ50 (for only a few months but love it so far) and I just picked up a bag at WalMart ($19) that was made for a camcorder. I also have an older Panasonic (also with 12x zoom but less mega pixels) that I am taking as a backup and they both fit into this case which has a divider in it. I saw the same case at Target but $6 more! I think it will work fine and has pockets for other items, memory cards, or personal items, etc. I also didn't like the fact that the lens cap does not have an attached cord - have thought about drilling small hole and attach myself. We leave in about 4 weeks - so I need to decide I suppose ! Have a great trip.
Old May 29th, 2007, 06:01 AM

No need to drill a hole, just buy one of the straps with the sticky ends that attach to the camera.
Old May 29th, 2007, 07:59 AM

hills27 ---- I looked at one of those - or at least I think it is what you are talking about - and we figured it wouldn't work or at least would get in the way because of the way the camera is made --- I can't remember the reason now - so maybe I need to look again. I also thought it may not stick and if it did - it would leave a residue? My first Panasonic had a very nice cord and a place to attach it. They should have done the same with this model.
Thanks
Old May 29th, 2007, 03:59 PM

this may sound tacky to some people and I'm not sure of the size of your Panasonic, but I have a well padded sort of makeup bag(not floral) that has a few pockets in it that I use..
Old May 31st, 2007, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replys I am now working thro all your suggestions - only 9 days to go!!!
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 04:25 AM

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1033

Do a search for "FZ50 case" and you will have many, many suggestions. Or post your question and within minutes you will get an answer.
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 06:25 AM

You will LOVE the camera by the way! I am SO impressed with my new FZ50 that I have had since Feb, but only used last week on safari (no time before). It was INCREDIBLE!

I bought an 'idiot mitt' (it's a piece of elastic which fits around the lens, with a little double sided tape 'dot' on the end that attaches to the lens cap) for my lens cap, it worked well until the double sided tape it holds on with let go about half way through. But that was probably just a freak thing - Jim has fixed it and it now works again.

I carried my FZ50 in my purse - before I left, I bought a 'Daymakers of Santa Barbara' bag which was solid enough, and big enough to carry my FZ50 safely (I created it's own little 'space' in the bag with some of the dividers from my Lowepro bag so as my camera would not get scratched), along with my money, passports, bush loo stuff, kleenex and a few basic things needed on a game drive. It even had a pocket on the outside that carried my small coffee thermal mug to go.... It worked great!
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

LyndaS
Why am I not supprised that you managed to find an answer, So when do we get to see your piccys? I shall look foreward to seeing your results.
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 01:08 PM

I guess now that I have gone digital I have no excuse for not putting them on Kodak, do I?

Jim is transferring them onto my computer today for me (I am Epsom challenged) while I'm at work. I haven't even seen them yet - except for the few that I viewed in the camera once or twice!

I will try to look at and put some up on Kodak over the next bit - I have a BIG work project on the weekends to do, but evey once in awhile I will take a break and review the pictures!