What is fun to do in Pittsburgh?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2003, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mother is feeling nostalgic, so she is taking me and my sister up to PA to see her hometown and where she went to college. Admittedly, it has been at least 20 years since she was there last, so she's not sure of what there is to do in PIttsburgh. We'll be flying in late on a Thursday, and flying back on Sunday afternoon. Any recommendations on where to stay (we want to be close to the airport on Thursday night), where to eat, and what to do?
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 07:57 AM

If you sit a city street, you can watch (and sometimes even hear) the city rust.

There's a very good public art museum in Pittsburg
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 08:35 AM

Now BigRed, that's being a bit harsh on Pittsburgh! My first flip response in my head was, "Well, it sure was fun moving away after college!!" (I grew up there). But in all fairness, there's a lot to do there. It's not Paradise, nor is it Hell of Earth. It's a mid-level city with lots of history and a decent amount of culture. It's been a few years since I've spent a lot of time there, but....

The museum you're thinking of is the Carnegie, in the Oakland area. Excellent art collection, outstanding natural history museum as well. There's now the Andy Warhol Museum, which would be very worthwhile (hometown boy becomes King of Pop Art). Pittsburgh has a pretty great theatre scene, including one fantastic regional group, City Theatre Company. If anything's playing there, it's worth the trip.

Your best restaurant bets would be Mt. Washington (for the views) and Shadyside (for variety), I would think. And Shadyside is a nice little neighborhood to walk around in.

I have usually stayed with family in the Pittsburgh area, so I can't really recommend lodging.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 08:40 AM

Christie:

When you are in the Oakland area of Pittsburgh around the Carnegie Library/Museum area stop in at Star of India for a luncheon buffet. The place between Forbes and Fifth on South Craig Street. Oh how I love spicy Indian food! If that is not your style, Union Grill or Ali Baba are pretty good too.

Old Aug 26th, 2003, 10:50 AM

Some interesting things I did in Pittsburgh this summer: toured the ethnic rooms at University of Pittsburgh-each room costs 500,000 to put together and is fashioned by artisans from the native country-great tour-even my high school kids loved it. Rode the Incline, took a Gateway boat cruise, had lunch at Original Hot Dogs(a landmark in Oakland near Univ of Pittsburgh) and went to the Andy Warhol Museum. Had a good time. Bet you will too.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Eileen! Those are the sort of things I was hoping someone would suggest! Museums and the Incline sound really neat. We'll be making a day trip to Loretto to see where she went to college and where she and my Dad met, too.

Mom won't be into spicy Indian food (she is from PA and thinks ketchup is spicy), and we have a lot of that here in Texas anyway. But the pizza I've been reading about in other threads sounds GREAT!
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 05:58 PM

Loretto? So, you mean St. Francis University? Loretto would be about a 2 hour drive from Pittsburgh. Add a half hour from the airport.

I suppose that you've got your airfare, but I'll mention that I've seen some good air+hotel packages for Pittsburgh at travelocity.com. You will probably get a good rate out at the airport, but do just as well downtown. The William Penn. Find some information about the Strip District in the burgh and see if you would like that. I believe that there are a few hotels in walking distance to there.

I have to mention that the Pirates will be at home this weekend hosting the Atlanta Braves. Ask your mom when was the last time she was at Kennywood Park.

That would be Heinz ketchup in your fridge.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 01:01 AM

If you like flowers and plants, Phipps Conservatory in the Oakland neighborhood is worth a visit.

http://www.phipps.conservatory.org

Old Aug 27th, 2003, 03:55 AM

There is also the Greater Pittsburgh Renaissance Festival off the New Stanton Exit. www.pgh-renfest.com for details.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 04:19 AM

According to mapquest, going to Loretto via New Stanton (for the Ren Fest that KimV mentioned) would add only 15 minutes to the trip.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 04:30 AM

I second the suggestion about visiting the ballpark. Our family visited Pittsburgh over 4th of July weekend and the Pirates game was the highlight (we also saw the Warhol Museum, had lunch in the Strip District and took the incline up to walk along and take in the view of the city). Anyway. The Roberto Clemente bridge is closed to auto traffic for a couple of hours before the game and the fans walk across to the game. It's a wonderful atmosphere whether or not you're into baseball.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Yep, Mom's a St. Francis College alumnus! Good eye, mrwunrfl! Yep, that would be Heinz ketchup in the fridge, too. Mom adores Kennywood Park. We've heard so many stories about it that we'd like to add it to the itinerary. I'll have to see on the net if it is still open in October. She'd like that!

The baseball game might be tempting. None of us are big baseball fans (we have the crappy Texas Rangers here), but it would be fun. The Phipps Conservatory does sound like a great idea. Mom would love it! We'll pass on the Ren Fair since there are several good ones here at home, and we're not particulary into that kind of thing.

Airfare was bought on AA's Summer Sale, so we got a good deal on it. We still need to find hotels, though. We know we want to stay by the airport on Thursday since our flight arrives near midnight, but we're open on the other nights.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 09:46 AM

Christie, Not sure what type of hotel you are looking for. There is a Wyndham Pittsburgh Airport which was formerly a Marriott and is quite nice with lots of amenities for about $129. If you are just looking for a place to sleep, there is a Sleep Inn Pittsburgh Airport which is only about 3 years old and is very nice for half the price. I've stayed at both. There are quite a few hotels in the airport area. There is also an Embassy Suites, but it's more than $159 and not any nicer than the Wyndham, in my opinion. I wouldn't hesitate to spend the night at the Sleep Inn again.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 03:04 PM

I would check out the Renaissance if you'd like to stay in town for a few nights
http://www.marriott.com/dpp/Property...rshaCode=PITBR.
You will have a view of the stadiums, and it's located right across from the Roberto Clemente Bridge which takes you to the North Shore and walking distance the stadiums.