Oklahoma City and Tulsa

Search

Oklahoma City and Tulsa

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2007, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oklahoma City and Tulsa

I will be traveling to Oklahoma in August (after that visit, I will have two "remaining" states to visit, Nebraska and Vermont), and I am looking for interesting, historic hotels (non-chain) in Oklahoma City and Tulsa.

I am timing my trip to attend the PGA at Southern Hills (Tulsa), so I won't have much time to sightsee in Tulsa, but I would welcome sightseeing ideas in Oklahoma City (I plan to dine at Cattlemen's and also visit the National Memorial).

Thanks, Michael
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 09:34 AM

in OKC, i found both the Cowboy Museum and the 45th Infantry Museum to be very inresing and well worth a visit.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 09:50 AM

I also like the Cowboy Museum. Make sure you walk around outside and see the epitaphs on the tombstones of some of the famous broncs and bulls buried there, they're pretty funny. I think the yearly June National juried western art show exhibit is still on display thru August at the museum and have enjoyed that also.

I usually stop at the Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial. Everything was designed to actually have significance. One large & one small chair to represent each of the people who died, gates of time, statue of Christ accross the street with his head bowed weeping. A reflecting pool that flows in order to "soothe the souls" of the families who lost loved ones. Anyway, I feel it's one of the most moving memorials in the world. They have pamplets explaining everything and there also is a museum.

You could visit the Brickyard area for shopping and dining. The local museum is interesting and I think still free. It's in one of the state offices and I had an interesting coversation with several of the sheriffs that were working the day of the bombing . Also, you can get a free tour of the Capital Building, only one in the US with an oil well in the front lawn.

If you feel like driving, there are interesting places a couple of hours south. Let me know if you need more info. And people think there's nothing to see in Oklahoma.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 10:39 AM

I haven't been there yet, but I read that the Museum in OK City has the largest permanent display of Dale Chihuley glass anywhere. My step daughter lives in Watonga..about 60 miles from OK City, so on our next visit there I'm for sure hitting the museum.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 01:45 PM

thit_cho, I don't know how you feel about zoos, but having read your Africa posts, you might be interested in the OK City zoo which has okapi and wild dogs (also a great tiger exhibit).

Weren't you the one who posted a question about wildlife on the Oregon coast? Did you make that trip?
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information.

321go, yes, I did make it to Idaho and Oregon in February, but I had a terrible cold, so the trip was not that pleasant. I did drive from Portland to Haystacks Rocks, but I was there during hightide and not able to see the tidal pools.

If I have time, I will try to get to the Oklahoma City Zoo -- I did visit the zoo in Portland, as well as the predator center outside Boise.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:19 AM

Thit_cho, stay at the historic Skirvin Hilton downtown. It is about historic and palatial as a hotel gets in OKC. Another option is the Colcord Hotel.

You've received good recommendations as far as activities. Tell us what cuisine you like and we'll recommend a restaurant.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:54 AM

Michael, the hotels recommended are great: Skirvin and Colcord -- both historic properties recently renovated and walking distance to the museum and memorial.

www.colcordhotel.com
www.skirvinhilton.com

I would visit:
OKC Museum of Art -- Chihuly's glass is beautiful! Not sure what will be on exhibit in August yet. Eat at the Museum Cafe - great food and service. And if you're there on a Thursday, the museum has Cocktails on the Skyline with jazz or an old b&w movie projected.

www.okcmoa.com

OKC Memorial
www.oklahomacitynationalmemorial.org

OKC Zoo -- in the top 3 zoos in the US. Its phenomenal. They just opened Oklahoma Trails which is a naturalistic habitat featuring 100 different species native to OK.

www.okczoo.com

National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum

www.nationalcowboymuseum.org/

Cattlemens's is ok. Seems everyone from out of town wants to go there but no one I know here goes there. Its in the old historic stockyard area of the city -- no working stockyards now. Just an historic area of the city.

If you want other restaurant rec's just ask.

Sheila
Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I made a reservation at Colcord, and I'll probably eat at Cattlemen's -- I'd prefer a historic restaurant, even if touristy.

I'll be in Tulsa during the PGA, so I'll probably just pick up an airport hotel since I have a very early Monday flight.

Thanks for the information.