Reload this Page >

Weather September to November

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 03:06 AM
Christine

My husband and I want to make a round trip through Florida for 3-4 weeks.
What will be the best time to this this? I know that in fall is the hurrican season but everybody told me a different end. Some says the hurrican season ends with Sept, oder told me with end on Nov. What is the truth?
I also want to know how much rain falls in this time.
What will be the best time to go to Florida???
Many thanks for your help
Best regards Christine

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 03:10 AM
gail

The official hurricane season is long - starting in July and ending in November, with most hurricanes in the Sept-Nov. range. While your chances of getting hit by a full-force hurricane are small, the problem with them is that even if it is hundreds of miles away, you get a lot of rain. Also, Florida is a big state, so if you are mobile, just go someplace else based on weather reports. Try weather.com for climate history of specific cities.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 03:48 AM
randa

Above post is correct about hurricane season. We get most of our hurricanes during Sept-Oct. Also the Nat'l Weather Service has predicted a busy hurricane season this year - forecasting 7 hurricanes!

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 04:28 AM
Flanative

Both posts above are wrong. Hurricane season is June 1st through the end of Nov. Sept and Oct are the months with the largest risk of one making landfall in the States. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
That is the national hurricane site.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 05:23 AM
x

weather undergound is a great site for checking weather history.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 11:45 AM
sharon

As someone that lives on the north east coast of FL, here is my take:
1. Hurricanes most likely end of August-
beginning of Oct.,but a minor
hurricane/tropical storm can affect
one part of the state and not the
rest and there is plenty of advance
notice so you could move away.
2. September can still be hot and sticky with pm showers. Oct-Nov things
are a bit drier and sometimes brief cold snaps
start as early as mid October.

3.Things tend to be less crowded between Labor Day and Thanksgiving since kids have gone back to school, I think making it an ideal time to visit.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 11:55 AM
Stephanie P.

Christine:

Technically hurricane season is through November, but I went to the Ft. Lauderdale, FL, in 1st week of November 2000, and it was sunny and beautiful the whole time with absolutely no rain. I find hurricanes interesting and watch The Weather Channel often in that season. I have observed that most of the hurricanes that occur, will usually occur by mid-October. The weather in Florida in November, at least when I went, was in the low to mid 80s with substantially less humidity than the summer/fall months.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 05:57 AM
x

They are only predicting seven with a 75% that one will hit the U.S. coastland.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 06:05 AM
Bob

Getting back to your question. You'll have a blast in Florida. I would recommend October as it is usually great weather,b ut still warm so you can have lots of beach time. The only month I would 100% avoid is August, rains daily & always really hot. Never plan a vacation around hurricane season. They so rarely make landfall - worst case when on vacation one comes and you'll have to move inland. Have a blast.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 06:21 AM
x

Yes, have a great time but do keep in mind it is Hurricane season. Check what the refund policy will be for your airfare, room, etc. With the Hurricane Center forecasting them 2 days earlier to clear the coast lines, you will want to make sure in a worst case scenario you get some of your money back. Many never hit land but warnings and watches are very common.