weather in Moab in early May?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it's impossible to predict for sure, but hoping to get some idea of what temps are like at that time of year. Also whether it's a high precipitation time.

Thanks!
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 04:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I was there last year in the 3rd week of May.

Weather was dry, sunny and in the high 80s
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 05:38 PM

I was there the 3rd week of May last year also. My recollection is that the week started off warm, dry and sunny but then an arctic storm moved in and temperatures dropped 20 - 30 degrees.

It rained quite a bit in Moab and it snowed at higher elevations such as Boulder. That storm stuck around a week. We ended up staying in motels rather than campgrounds for much of that time.

A few years before that, we also spent the week of Memorial Day in Utah - up around Vernal. Again, half the week was sunny and dry and then a cold, wet storm moved in for several days.

In short, the weather is variable at that time of year.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for replies. I asked a similar question on another post as well because I'm hoping to find somewhere not real far from Boulder (where we'll be in early May) where there'd be a good chance of quite warm and dry weather. We're pushing 80 and enjoy hiking/walking, but don't much enjoy chilly weather anymore. (We live in Florida.)
Can someone suggest somewhere lovely to spend 3-4 days (driving distance from Boulder) where we'd stand a better chance of having pleasant weather?
Thank you.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 05:07 PM

Elevation is the key to temperature. Boulder is at 6675 feet. So, in early May it is just coming out of winter. Moab is at around 4000 feet and should be much warmer. However, many of the places nearby in the National Parks will be at higher elevations. For example, the Devil's Garden Campground in Arches is 5200 feet.

You will most likely find very nice weather at Moab in early May but there is always the possibility of a cold front pushing through.

Probably the warmest place in that area of southern Utah would be Zion National Park. Early May should be delightful. When we were there in late May, the temperatures were close to 100 degrees.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 06:28 PM

poss,

May is my favorite time to head down to Moab. The odds are in your favor for good weather. As long as you know there's no "predicting" and anything CAN happen.

Better get your reservations ASAP.