Weather

Old Sep 16th, 2003, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weather

If you go to www.weathernetwork.com , you can see the weather for Lake Louise, Banff, Yoho etc. It shows 7 days in advance. I did not see any 22, just low teens right now and the on the weekend 5 and 6 degrees and rain coming in Sunday. I sure hope the rain goes away , at least not a few days of it. Not good for hiking, will take snow anytime. So, hopefully, the weather will improve some. We are going anyhow.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 08:58 AM

For more accurate weather forecasts, go to Environment Canada at:

http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/canada_e.html

The weather forecasts are less reliable the further in the future they are attempting to predict. Seven days is a stretch, especially for locations where there aren't that many weather stations.

Right now (in Alberta) it is very cold and in places it is snowing.

Keep warm!!
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 09:52 AM

The 7 day forecasts are never right in Alberta! Right now there is a heavy snowfall warning and it is cold.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 12:57 PM

Heck - the seven minute forecasts are usually wrong!!! As I look out my office window in Calgary - its still snowing so I would expect the mountains will be getting some too.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 01:20 PM

I'll second that the weather forecasts are seldom correct. Where are you CruiserYYC? I'm in Banker's Hall and it seems to be lightening up a bit.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 03:40 PM
R

Thanks for the weather updates & links. Kinda worrisome for us, too...altho' as I've mentioned, I do love snow. But, am not so keen on rain, while trying to hike & such. (and snow would surely shut down the canoe operators at Moraine Lake, Emerald Lake & Lake Louise, etc. & tea houses at Lake Louise)

Many on this Board, have mentioned how changeable the area is w/its weather. However, wouldn't that be more the case in Calgary, then, "up in the mountains" themselves? Just wondering. Seems like weather systems would get caught up on the tops of the mountains....bringing changeable weather perhaps for Calgary? But, for the mountains themselves...wouldn't you be likely to get in 'ruts' with precipitation or not?
We'll keep our fingers crossed that you *may* still have a bit of Indian summer left in the deck of cards to be dealt out in the mountains. For a few days, maybe? I don't need the high temps...love it cooler! But, the sun...I wouldn't mind. Not one bit. ;-)
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 08:21 PM

Winter Wonderland in Banff today! We just flew in from Hawaii, I could not believe my eyes when I woke up to snow in Calgary this AM! Icefields Parkway was an easy drive, moderate snowfall in the Banff area today. Japser is "warmer" at about 38F; Columbia Icefield was freezing, literally LOL.

Old Sep 16th, 2003, 08:25 PM

How did you like the Icefield Parkway vivi? Were you able to see the tops of the peaks or were they shrouded in cloud?

They have forecast warmer temps and some sun by Friday of this week.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 06:36 AM

I dont know if we saw the tops of the peaks or not! Some peaks were peeking out over the clouds. But even with the clouds, fog, snow the peaks were mind boggling. This scenery is right up there with the Alps, maybe even more spectacular. We will drive from Jasper to Banff on Thursday and I am hoping for blue skies.

Columbia Icefield was worth the stop. Light snow while we were on the tour.

I am waiting for it to get light outside right now, it looks like there may be partially clear skies in JAsper.

Old Sep 17th, 2003, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. The weather looks like it is clearing and getting higher temperatures for the weekend and it might hold . You never know. No matter when you go you chance the weather. I would think you would get some really nice days also. If it is rainy in one spot, you could drive to another and could be just cloudy.
I don't mind cold either, just not rainy for hiking. But, we might be lucky, if you don't go, you might regret it if it turns out great weather. Have fun. We leave this Saturday morning from Toronto and drive to Lake Louise.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 09:46 AM

Wow Joanada! You are driving all the way from Toronto to Lake Louise!! That's a long trip, especially across the prairies. Northwest Ontario is really scenic though.

Bon voyage!!

A.B.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Hello:

No, we are flying into Calgary from Toronto and renting a car, then driving to Lake Louise.