Paradise Lodge/Lake Louise

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2003, 12:29 AM
R
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paradise Lodge/Lake Louise

Hi everyone, again!
We've pretty much settled on Baker Creek, which I understand is not too far from Lake Louise. However, was just wondering if any of you had ever stayed at Paradise Lodge, too?? It also looks very nice...and is definitely close to Lake Louise.
I believe their rates drop a lot this time of year...whereas Baker Creek's stay in a summer rate plan until mid-October. Just curious if there are any recent reviews of Paradise Lodge to be had...
and if anyone may have stayed both at Paradise & Baker Creek? Just giving this a try... Many thanks!
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 05:54 AM
Andree

I just spent a week there last week and LOVED it. I actually preferred it to Baker Creek. The cabins are very pretty, rustique, well organized, gorgeous bathrooms, the location is fantastic and I would (will) go back again. I found the setting and the cabins nicer than Baker Creek. I would suggest a "Cooper Cabin" (with a deck). They are located at the back of the property with a view of the mountains. Go for it, you won`t regret it! Let me know if you need more info.

Old Sep 15th, 2003, 12:15 PM
R
Original Poster

Thank you for the review!
Have you stayed at Baker Creek recently, too? What did you like more about Paradise vs. Baker Creek? The location...proximity to Lake Louise?
The units themselves, etc?
From what I gather, there are quite a few types of units at each place. Makes the comparing more difficult. Guess it wouldn't make sense to stay 1 night at one...and two nights at another, would it? (they are close enough together)
Are other thought was 1 night at Deer Lodge & 2 at Baker Creek. (if we want to be really close to LL one night...& then, sort of 'between' Lake Louise & Banff. I welcome any add'l info! Many thanks...
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 12:46 PM
R
Original Poster

Oops!
Meant to say "our other thought was..."

Tempted by shifting between places, but know that that can waste a lot of time, unnecessarily. So we're trying to consolidate our stays a bit more, than is our usual trend.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 07:07 PM

Hmmm - I thought that Paradise Lodge closes for the winter!! Perhaps they have changed their policy, or updated their acomodation so that it is "winterized".
Paradise Lodge is indeed much closer to Lake Louise, and I mean the lake itself. You could actually walk from Paradise Lodge to the lake, no problem. And it is in a very pretty spot, just as Andree wrote.
Unfortunately we have never stayed there. We tend to travel only in the off season, and it always seems to be closed whenever we are interested in staying there!! Talk about bad timing!!
Baker Creek Chalets are open all year round. They are not in Lake Louise, but off the Bow Valley Parkway (the old Trans Canada highway), in the woods by a creek (hence the name). It takes 8 minutes to drive from Baker Creek to Lake Louise Village (this is accurate - I have timed it!!!).
Lake Louise Village is in the valley below Lake Louise. The lake itself, and Chateau Lake Louise are at the end of an uphill drive of about 5 minutes or so (haven't timed that one !!) from Lake Louise Village.
Too bad that I can't draw a little map to show you the locations, but perhaps you could find one online ?
I'll bet that you won't be disappointed whichever place you eventually choose.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 05:26 AM
Andree

R, when are you going? Paradise Lodge indeed closes during winter. They will close at the beginning of October and re-open around the May long-weekend. It`s too bad because I would have booked again this winter for skiing! I liked it better because of the "feel" of it, the units themselves and location. I found the cabins and setting at Baker Creek not as "warm", and little things bothered me, i.e. cracked fireplace window pane, burnt spots on carpet, very small main bedroom, small and ordinary bathroom. I must say that, to me, the pictures are more appealling and I was a bit disappointed by the real thing after having read all the positive reviews. It is relatively close to LL, but you are literally in the middle of nowhere! Not much views since it`s right on Hwy 1A and the trees block the view most of the time. Since the speed limit is only 60k/h, it took me a little more than 8 minutes to get to LL...! Nothing wrong with the place I guess, but personnally, I expected more. First impression of Paradise was the setting; the little cabins are scattered on the property, lots of big trees and slate pathways. Then wow! The cabins. It looks like something out of "little red riding hood" ! It`s not huge, but we were 3 in there and didn`t have problems! After all, you`re gone all days long. The inside is immaculate; everything looks brand new, including carpet. All inside walls and cathedral are wood (the ceiling follows the roof line), with nice big wrought iron ligth fixture. I loved the big bathroom with clawfoot tub (huge, enough room for 2!) Nice pine queen-size bed with lots of pillow and comfy duvet, hide-a-bed sofa, pine tables and chairs. The Feuz and Cooper cabins are the same, only the Coopers have decks and are situated at the back of the property, with a view of the mountains. I walked around the property and my favourite is cabin no. 25. They`re all the same, but I liked that spot! This was my 6th trip to this area and this is my all time favourite place. I`ve stay in many big hotels in Banff and LL, but I would return to Paradise anytime. You can walk to LL if you are in reasonnable shape (uphill all the way!) and within view of Moraine Lake turn off. I wouldn`t bother with Deer Lodge, but that`s me. Wow...I`m rambling...! All in all, all 3 of us voted hands down for Paradise rather than Baker.

P.S. the pictures you see on their website in the gallery are of one of the Cooper cabins. This will give you an idea. Let me know if I can be of further help. Happy choosing...! Cheers!

Old Sep 16th, 2003, 02:51 PM
R
Original Poster

Thank you, Andree, for this very well-detailed analysis!! Very kind of you. I'll give them a call today. Looks like they are open 'til Oct 4. We may be in the area Oct 1 or so. But, I can't be sure w/out checking.

But, a new question has arisen...
thinking of posting a new thread on it, if no one notices it here.
Typically, I'd say we're more of a casual form of lodging couple...not too casual, but love old lodges & the charm of these...and places like Baker Creek & Paradise.
We'd normally opt for "lodge-like" places over high elegance. (eg. Buffalo Mtn vs. Rimrock...just our tastes) Last time we went, we stayed 1 night in an interior basic room at Banff Springs, just to experience that place a teeny. And, I got an okay price to boot in Sept that time.

Found out last night, that due to when we're going...I may be able to get what are *very* good rates at Chateau Lake Louise & the Banff Springs. The rates are right there comparable to the rates at our more usual lodging choices...and, the other places, aren't discounting much yet.

So, I wonder if I should save Baker Creek, Paradise, Deer Lodge & the likes for another trip which may be in "prime season"...since their rates would be about the same then, as they are now. (all these places drop their rates post-Thanksgiving, Oct. 14) What would you do, if any of you would share?

I know the Fairmonts...which I still think of as the Canadian Pacific's...can be *very* hectic. However, I'm guessing they will be a bit quieter now, than usual. So, maybe to 'experience' the Chateau one time...and the Banff Springs one more time (only stayed one night before)...we *should* consider staying with them?

In both cases, this would be for their more basic rooms, but with views...which was surprising! So, it would be lakeside for the Chateau & Bow Valley view side for the Banff Springs. I was wonderin' if maybe some of the Fall colors I'm craving to see, might be visible from a place like the Banff Springs, if we're facing the river area? That would be nice! (if there's any sun to be had, by the time we get there) With the Banff Springs..we'd probably be there a few days than at Lake Louise.

Also, as far as Lake Louise goes...it sure would be convenient, esp. if the weather *is* going to be iffy, if one could just peek out their room window to see if there's any "dawn over the glacier there"...to get up for. ;-)
But, I know the rooms will be very basic & small compared to what we could get for the same money at these other places being considered. Sigh..
nice to have choices! In summer, it can be nuts to find anything. But, choices can also be confusing...
All my best, Rosemary
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 02:55 PM
R
Original Poster

Meant to type...
Banff would be *later* in the week than LL. Both would be for 1-2 nights...probably two.
Thanks again!
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 03:24 PM
R
Original Poster

Correction to my last note:
Paradise Lodge closes Oct. 5. Cabins close by Oct 1. So... we wouldn't have a choice of a cabin here. Ever stayed in the lodge part? A Fairview room? They are $170Cdn...normally 270Cdn, it seems. The Chateau would have a view room for $210. Granted, a small room, but lakeside. The convenience of being *right* there...*may* be worth it..I just don't know. (definitely NOT at the summer rates the Chateau does)

I still have to call Baker Creek....
ooo....just did! Their one-bedroom creekside ones are $170/wknights & $220/wknds.
No more small cabins...seems they will be removing the little ones in early Oct. Perhaps that would create a bit of noise & be sort of a downer to see? Choices..choices. ;-) Thanks for your patience, while I mull things over here. Enjoy the snow, all you Albertans! Heard it's a decent amount?
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 07:08 PM

Hey - if you can get accommodation at the Chateau LL and Banff Springs for reduced rates go for it!!
And while you are in Banff Nat'l Park, you can always visit the other places that you were considering and check them out for future stays (my hubby and I do that all the time; most places have friendly staff and will give you a peek at their accomodation because they really really want you as a "guest&quot.

As for the weather in Alberta, by the time you get here, it might be warm and summer-like again :-? .
"Up" where I live, we had no snow but the temps are freezing and with the wind chill it feels more like November than September (except that it's still very green with only occasional splashes of fall colour just beginning to show).

When you return home Rosemary - you'll just have to post a trip report. I am very curious to see what your impressions of our mountain parks will be !!
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 06:55 AM
Andree

Hi Rosemary, you could certainly keep Paradise waiting for another day! If you can get good rates for the Chateau, Banff and LL for room WITH views, treat yourself! As Borealis said, you can check out the other places for your next trip. A room facing the river at the Banff Springs would give you a view of Buffalo (Tunnel) Mountain. However, you won`t get much Fall colours...The forests are mostly coniferous with a few aspens here and there that are turning yellow now. There are basically no other trees like maple that would turn orange or red. You`d have to go to Ontario or Quebec for the best show! Banff Springs was very busy last week with a major convention, but it was quiet at Chateau Lake Louise. Whatever you choose, you can`t go wrong. Afterall, who`s going to the Rockies to admire the inside of a hotel room..? P.S. I never stayed in the lodge part of Paradise and didn`t think about asking to see it...probably because I know I`ll prefer the cabins anyway! Have fun on your trip and hope that the weather improves...Looks beautiful today in Canmore..! Let us know what you have decided!

Old Sep 17th, 2003, 07:11 AM

As neither the Banff Springs or Chateau Lake Louise are known for giving "cheap rates" I say go for it!! You can always stay at the cabins another time, and if the weather is not great one day you can sit in front on the big fireplace in the lounge!
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 06:19 PM
R
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone! I'll see if I can get those rates tonight & will report back, our final choices.
Later, will post updates for those planning weddings & such. Might be able to help them, if I keep an eye open more than usual, with that in mind. (I got married at a similar 'style' location...Yosemite Nat'l Park...& had reception at the Ahwahnee, which is sort of like the Banff Springs & Chateau in 'feel' but, is much smaller!)