Search

Moraine Lake Lodge

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moraine Lake Lodge

Hi there

I am looking for somewhere to stay on a "splurge" night in my Rockies holiday. I have been recommended by some friends to stay at the Moraine Lake Lodge or the Emerald Lake Lodge. I will be spending most of a week in the Rockies with 2 days in Banff and 2 days in Jasper, I was thinking of staying at Moraine Lake between tht two. Most of my accomodation is going to very basic, so this one night I would like to stay somewhere special
Looking at pics, the Moraine Lake Lodge looks fantastic, although I believe the road to it only opens up on 1 June? I will likely be staying there between 2-5 June. Also is the lake still completely frozen in early June, or partially frozen? (I guess no kayaking in early June then).

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Jenz
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 12:56 PM

Hello Jenz,

I can't tell you about Emerald Lake Lodge, so will leave someone else to fill you in on that.

Moraine Lake is my favourite lake, but I do love to see it when it's thawed and one can get the full benefit of the turquoise coloured water. I've been there at various stages of the summer. When I was there during the first week of June, it was about one third thawed. That's the disadvantage of going there so early in the season.

There is an advantage of going then, on the other hand, and that is that the full onslaught of tour buses has not yet arrived. In that sense it's a particularly nice time of the year to visit Moraine Lake.

Years ago the cabins at Moraine Lake Lodge used to be much more rustic than they are now. My family has not stayed in them since the place has been upgraded. I gather they are quite luxurious now. (But note, as the website points out, that the Lodge has made a deliberate decision not to include hot tubs, television sets or telephones in the cabins, so as to preserve the tranquil atmosphere.)

Moraine Lake is the starting point of several delightful hikes. If you are not up to hiking, even the walk along the shore of the lake is very pleasant. I notice from the website that the Lodge rate includes the services of a hiking guide / naturalist. If I was staying there, I sure would take advantage of that service. In my experience, background information on the ecology and history of an area adds a lot to the enjoyment of it.

The website claims the dining room's cuisine is superb. I've had lunch there several times, but not dinner. I would describe the lunches as pleasant. To call them superb would be stretching it, in my opinion.

If you want to be sure of having superb dinners in the Lake Louise area, you could be sure of getting them at the Post Hotel in Lake Louise village and at Deer Lodge, next to Chateau Lake Louise and near the shores of the lake of Lake Louise. (Lake Louise is only a 14 km drive from Moraine Lake, and it stays light till very late in the summer.)

Any place that's in the vicinity of Lake Louise positions you quite well to take advantage of Yoho National Park's offerings as well (Takakkaw Falls, a day visit to Emerald Lake, etc.).

If you suffer from sticker shock when you see Moraine Lake Lodge's and Emerald Lake Lodge's rates, you could always try the more moderately priced but comfortable, clean and friendly Lake Louise Inn.

Be sure to bring light weight hiking boots or at least sturdy running shoes (what do you call them in the UK? trainers or something like that?). Expect to see some snow lying around on the ground in the vicinity of Moraine Lake. On a clear, sunny day, you'll be able to strip down to a T-shirt. But it will be much cooler at night or if some rainy weather moves in. Bring layers, including a sweater (jumper) and a hooded, water-resistant jacket so that you can respond to changing weather conditions.

In planning your itinerary, keep in mind that the drive from Lake Louise to Jasper, while it nominally takes 3 hours or something like that, occupies the better part of a day if you stop to see and do things along the way. I recommend Peyto Lake Lookout (as I recall, Peyto Lake thaws sooner than Moraine Lake), a Snocoach ride on the Athabasca Glacier, Sunwapta Falls and Athabasca Falls.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply! That was all very interesting and informative.

I honestly feel quite happy to have colder and icy lakes in exchange for a lack of tour buses. I live in Edinburgh myself and find overly crowded tourist areas a real turn off.

Thanks for that
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 06:08 PM

Just have to give a vote for Emerald Lake. In my opinion it is the most beautiful lake in the Rockies. Also even when its high tourist season, you are not overcome with tourist buses - vehicles are not allowed over into the property so while the hikes might have a few people on them, the lodge area is quite quiet. Like Moraine Lake Lodge, there is not a lot to offer - only one small hot tub, and no television in the rooms - my idea of heaven!!
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 09:03 AM

Before you get too splurgeful, take a look at the prices. Also, I do not know if 1 night stands are in season.
(Never strongly considered going there, so I just don't know.)

Emeral Lake Lodge is in a very quiet area. But I had a difficult time trying to figure out just how much a room costs. One was listed for $150.
Hard to believe when a $440 pricewas right under it.

A twin cabin at Moraine Lake runs from 350 to 520 depending upon when you want to be there. The season starts June `1.

You will already be splurging at Jsper and Banff!
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 12:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies peeps, I appreciate it.

Not sure what you meant by 1 night stand brookwood...Im going there for my wedding anniversary, and yes with my husband lol.

Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 08:02 AM

A one night stand is to stay for one night. Some places out there do not accept one night reservations. I know Twin Falls Chalet and lake O'Hara lodge do not accept one nighters.
Two night minimums.
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Oh thats what you meant by a one night stand, in Scotland it means something a wee bit different

Well I think I will email Moraine Lake and see if there is a minimum 2 night stay.

Thanks.