Search

Montreal

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Montreal

HI
WONDERING...WE ARE GOING TO BE STAYING AT THE AUBERGE DE LA FONTAINE B&B. CAN ANYONE LET ME KNOW IF THIS IS A NICE CLEAN B&B. iT IS LOCATED ON EAST RACHEL ST. WE KNOW NOTHING ABOUT MONTREAL AND NEED ALL THE ADVICE YOU CAN GIVE.
THANK YOU JONA
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 11:54 AM

I don't know about the b&b itself, but it's a nice location near the park. You will be close to a lot of interesting cafes, byob retaurants on Duluth, and small shops on Mt Royal & St. Denis. There's lots of nice French-victorian archetecture in the area. This is considered a very 'hip' part of the city, with a strong French flavor, and not as touristy as the downtown. Rue Rachael also is close to a Spanish & Portuguese area. The one drawback is that you are about a 40 minute walk to the downtown, but I believe there is a Metro close by that will get you downtown in 10 minutes.
I would have no problem staying in this area.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 01:32 AM

joan, I looked at the website and it seems very nice; the area it is in is very diversified
and nothing like the downtown core. Don't expect to see only the victorian brownstones you saw on the website. You will be nicely located close to St Laurent and St Denis streets; metro Mt Royal will take you downtown easily within 15 minutes.
A cab would be approx. 8$ canadian.
Tons of restaurants and cafes to discover.
Are you going this summer ?

Old Apr 21st, 2004, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Hi
We are actually going on APril 30th through May 3rd. So you do not think we are too far from downtown?

Can you recommend a restaurant or two? Also read about taking cruises on the river. Do you think they wull be open. It says May but I am not sure we area bit too early.

Thanks so much. Any suggestions at all would be so appreciated as we know nothing of the area for food attractions on much of anything. So any favorites of yours you would like to share it would be appreaciated.
Joan
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Hi
Is downtown considered old montreal? Is that an area where we should plan to spend a considerable amount of time?
Any suggestions reccomendations would be appreciated as I said we have never been and really don't have any plans of what to so and see,

Thanks in advance.
Joan
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 05:10 AM

Joan, downtown Montreal and old Montreal are two different areas. Downtown is very cosmopolitan, somewhat like Manhattan, the old city is quite 18th century European. They are close enough to walk from one to the other - about 20 minutes. There are lots and lots of posts on this site about places to eat. Some of my favorites are quite close to where you are staying. Here are a few casual, fun places: Casa Tapas on Rachael, Le Jardan de Panos (byob) on Duluth, L'Express on St. Denis, Cafe Cherrier on Cherrier. Duluth street is lined with interesting, casual byob restaurants. Just buy a bottle of wine and pick a place that suits you.
As for cruises, it may be too early, but the waterfront area is interesting to visit anyway, there is always something going on.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 05:47 AM

I'll be going in that area on friday: I'll try to pinpoint a few more restaurants. Jardin de Panos is a good average place and zootsi's other suggestions are very good...
Bring layers for warmth; our weather is changing up and down lately; nights and mornings are quite cool.  
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Hi
I hate to be so not knowledgeable about Montreal but is the recommendation to see old Montreal as well as the downtown area if we only have 3 days?

thanks Joan
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 08:12 AM

Sure you can see old Montreal within a 3 day visit. Old Montreal is not very big, and can be covered on foot in one afternoon. From downtown, you can walk to Chinatown, the old city and the waterfront all in one day if you enjoy walking.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

hi
We love to walk so that is terrific. I am going to buy the Fodors travel book and look through it as to what to see. I pulled some info from their web site which says what to see on a 3 day visit so that will be a place to start. Cant wait to go!

If you have any other suggestions they would be appreciated.
Thanks Joan
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 10:30 AM

Old Montreal is a "must" to get a feel for the city. I have heard very good things about a restaurant in Old Montreal which is supposed to be great for lunch named "Olive et Gourmando" (sp?). Enjoy!
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 10:34 PM

Hi Joan, I live in montreal & can recommend a few things. What kind of food? You can also e-mail me if you'd like. This website will be available as of May-- www.tourism-montreal.org(1-800-665-1528)
I will no longer recommend Jardin de Panos. I was there recently with friends & all agreed we will not be going back.
Go to Notre-Dame West to browse & see a large concentration of antiques(40 establishments) from Atwater eastward.
Ste-Catherine is a main downtown commercial street. Sherbrooke West with lots of boutiques,art galleries. There's a self-guided walking tour of this street produced by Heritage Montreal called: Steps in Time: La Rue Sherbrooke(sherbrooke street)
Other areas to explore: Duluth St-restaurants; Laurier St-boutiques, restaurants, cafes etc: Greene Ave(westmount)-also popular; Bernard Ave in Outremont;Old Montreal-Place Jacques-Cartier,Chateau Ramezay,City Hall,Bonsecours Market, Notre-Dame Basilica,Old Port(de la Commune St) etc;Crescent Street--restaurants,bars,art galleries, people; St. Laurent & St. Denis-restaurants,boutiques,bars-everything.
Chinatown-begins on de la Gauchetiere at Saint-Laurent-head west-you can go to Kam Shing for brunch(Dim sum) on the weekend
Go to the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts www.mbam.qc.ca
Shopping(shopping centres) Les Cours Mont-Royal,1455 Peel,Westmount Square(nice food court too) on Greene Avenue(Wood & Ste-Catherine), Place MOntreal Trust 1500 McGill College: Promenades Cathedrale,625 Sainte-Catherine W;go to Ogilvy's on Mountain as well as Holt Renfrew;have lunch at Ogilvy's(downstairs)
Crusing along the St. Lawrence go to: www.ctma.ca or call 1-888-986-3278
We have 2 wonderful markets that are both very popular: go to
www.marchespublics-mtl.com One is the Atwater Market,the other-Jean-Talon Market in the heart of Little Italy(restaurants -many of them)
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 11:15 PM

Oops,I meant Maison Kam Fung on 1111 St. Urbain(878-2888),
Bice on Sherbrooke St(upscale) at 1504 Sherbrooke(937-6009)or you can call Bice & go to their other restaurant a few blocks away, Cafe Cherrier(good brunch) is 3635 St. Denis(272-0667), Les Beaux Jeudis 1449 Crescent (288-5656), One of my favourites is Patisserie De Gascogne at 237,Laurier(490-0235)& their other one(although much smaller) is at 4825 Sherbrooke West-good for a cafe or lunch; Another really fantastic place for lunch is Boulangerie Premiere Moisson at 1490 Sherbrooke West(931-6540)another location is at 860 Mont Royal;a favourite is Snowdon Delicatessen(all the locals) at 5265 Decarie 488-9129-their "smoked meat"sandwich is my all time favourite; Primo & Secondo(excellent & in Little Italy)908-0838
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 01:40 PM

Another excellent chinese restaurant also recommended by Mitchdesi is Mr. Ma at Place Ville Marie(downtown)-I was just there last week & previously & it is truly good. Hope you get these messages!
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Hi Patty
Thank you so much for your info. We are coming to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. Can you give me an opinion on where we are staying theabuerge de la fontaine?
I just usually am so on top of where we head to but due to some craziness at hme feel we are going with out a plan.

Anything and everything you can do to help with having a memorable trip will be appreciated
thank you,
Joan
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 03:20 PM

Hi Joan,
I will take a look at their website & it would be my pleasure to call you when you're there to offer suggestions if you'd like. What is your email address?
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 04:09 PM

Bring something warm to wear. An umbrella or raincoat. Mitch's post re location is well described. Again, if you can,please post your email address.
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

hi
my eamail is [email protected]!
Thanks so much for all yur help.
Joan
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 03:51 AM

I tried out a wonderful new (to me) restaurant on friday, called Savahnna's,
on St. Laurent street, a few doors south of Mont Royal avenue; the food was wonderful and the room is beautiful, very friendly service. They have jazz nights apparently from time to time...
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Hi
i have a question. Any recommendation to take a boat trip to PEI through ctma. I seeing that boat trip and also a car trip to Munction. Any thoughts on either?

Thanks again
Joan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -