weather in Alberta

Search

weather in Alberta

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 12:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weather in Alberta

I know this is probably an impossible question to answer but with my holiday in the Rockies fast approaching (I arrive on 19th) I have been watching the weather forecasts with some dismay. It has appeared to be almost solid rain, with the same forecast for the next week or so. Is this normal for this time of year and has it realy been that bad over there? I know mountain weather is notoriously difficult to predict but what is usual weather for the last 2 weeks in June?

Many thanks, Maria
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 06:21 AM
ltt

i'd be positive. it has rained a lot in this province these past two weeks. so, i figure it has got to stop soon...you'll probably have great weather. (hopefully!!!)
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, that's what I'm hoping. If it gets all the rain out of it's system this week, it will be beautiful next week
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 07:12 AM

I would not trust the weatherforecast to much. The park rangers say, that the mountains make their own local weather and not one is able to conisder all parameters for an accurate forecast.

Be prepared for quick weather changes.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 09:08 AM

In general, June weather in Alberta is sunny & warm with occasional rainshowers or thundershowers.
Over the first few years this century (2000 to 2003 especially) we've had extremely dry weather. This year so far has been wetter than was expected, or even predicted - I believe that the Environment Canada seasonal predictions have Alberta getting less than average precipitation, and warmer than average temperatures. So far it has been the opposite!!
Anyway - long range forecasts for this part of Canada tend not to be very accurate. For example, here in Edmonton where I live, the beginning of last week was predicted to be rainy and the end of the week sunny. Instead, we had cloudy and windy days at the beginning of the week, and very warm humid and rainy weather at the end of the week. I got caught in some of that "sun" they had predicted for Friday !!!
So - keep your fingers crossed - the predictions could be wrong - but be prepared for all sorts of different weather conditions.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 02:07 PM

Oh Maria, I can't help but think we will be traveling together. We arrive in Calgary 6/19 for a tour that starts 6/20. I have also been 'white knuckled' as I continue to read the daily weather forecast. Sigh!
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 02:00 AM

It sounds like you'll be on an organized tour, so you may not have much leeway, but if it's raining and you need to warm up consider visiting Radium Hot Springs. It's tucked into a canyon with steep cliffs on either side, with both a hot and cold pool.

Not a bad place to hang out when the weather's less than perfect. It's a three-hour drive from Calgary, with some incredible mountain scenery along the way.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

No we're not on an organised tour, we have a fly-drive from Calgary and have pre-booked accommodation staying at Canmore, Lake Louise, Jasper, Icefields and Banff. Will consider the hot springs for a visit.

This forecast is starting to look a bit better, though I'm sure a 14 day forecast is a bit ambitous. If the forecasts are anything like the UK, they are lucky to get it right for the day ahead!

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/wea...s/CAAB0016.htm

Polly, if you see a couple of Brits, with umbrellas, cagouls, bear bells and bear spray walking cautiously but noisily along, say hello!
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 08:15 AM

Hi Mariah:
Sounds like you'll be heading in the opposite direction from Radium, but there is a wonderful hot springs right in Banff.

If your a bit worried about bears, check my post "Bear Encounters". I've included a link from Parks Canada that you might find helpful.

Have a great trip.

GS
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 11:15 AM

Oh Maria...LOL @ bearspray! And just when I thought I had made my last shopping trip to pick up essentials for the trip! Thinking...do I go to a sporting goods store to pick that up or can I get it at my local pharmacy?
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Polly, I haven't a clue where you pick up bear spray, I just read about it as a "last resort" if attacked, with a warning about using it if the wind is in the wrong direction and blows it back into your own face! I think it's some sort of mace or pepper spray and I assume it is available locally, if I asked at my local pharmacy, I'd probably end up with hair spray instead - at least the bear wouldn't look so ruffled
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 08:21 PM

Are you back home Maria? How was your trip?
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Hi Polly, I posted a brief update "Just back from the Rockies" which I think has slipped to about the 3rd page now. Had a great time, weather a bit mixed, glorious first couple of days, then a mixture of sunshine and showers. It didn't stop us seeing any of the things we had planned to. I was very impressed and we'll definately go back sometime. Will post a link to some pictures soon.

Didn't get any bear spray or bells - though we saw plenty of people with bells on their packs. Only saw bears from a safe distance, either from the car or from the Lake Louise Gondola.

How was your trip?
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 09:07 AM

Maria,

It has taken me quite some time to respond because as soon as we returned home I had to take a 4 week 'working' trip to my mother's home in another part of the country.

Anyway, we had a fantastic trip. A little 'less then optimal' weather when we were in Jasper, but overall, just superb! Lake Louise was incredible. We saw mountain goats, longhorned sheep, bears, elk and black bear. Plus all the spectacular mountain views. Once I get my pictures formatted, I will try to post a few choice ones.

I'm ready to go back next year!
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 11:18 AM

Have hiked in Bear country. My children both went to summer camp there. They joke that "bear bells" just announce "Dinner time!" to the bears.

The bells just are not loud enough to announce a hiker's presence. Thus the wearer can be almost on top of the bear before it is aware of the hiker. Bears make a lot of noise if they are rooting for grubs etc. Plus wind or running water or even a stand of trees can prevent the bells' sound from alerting the bear to a human presence. And that is the point. You want to make sure all bears know that you are coming. The best advice is singing loudly, or yelling "Yo Bear!" etc. Vary the sound. Do not let the bear get used to it. Vary the tone, and frequency. Yodel. You want the bear to have time to get away from you.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 10:02 AM

Maria, I finally have a few of my pics posted...if you are interested.

http://home.mindspring.com/~pollyveee/rockies/
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 11:18 PM
Original Poster

Some lovely photos there Polly, brings back great memories. Here's mine in case you missed my other post:

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/191965/index.html