Weather outlook May 20-27

May 14th, 2005, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Weather outlook May 20-27

Thunderstorms? Tell me this isn't an all day thing! Dopler radar didn't look promising, but can anyone please let me know what the actual weather has been like and looks like for this time period?

Many thanks,
Nathan
May 14th, 2005, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

St. Martin if not obvious from the location I posted.
May 14th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Sunnyboy

Don't mean to sound curt but no one, not even the professional meteorologists can accurately predict the weather more than a few days in advance let alone two weeks out. Forget what you see or read on the weather web-sites - they alway show rain. What you'll probably get when you are on-island is mostly sunny skies with occassional very brief and very localized showers (typical tropical weather). Often it rains on one side of the island and it is completely dry on the other. In short - don't fret about the weather, the odds are in your favor.

May 14th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Hi Sunnyboy,

Thank you. I should know better being in my 30s and traveling to the Caribbean 4-5 times, but the weather has been odd this year. Thanks again for aleviating my silly concerns.

Nathan
May 14th, 2005, 02:26 PM

Nathan,
My experiences with traveling to the carribean...don't pay too much attention to the thunderstorm/rain predictions. I think they put either one on everyday because it is likely that they MAY happen, but probaby don't most of the time or it is for such a short time that it does not put much of a damper on your vacation.

Just my experience...
May 16th, 2005, 04:48 AM

I live near SXM and although we've had some overcast and cloudy days lately, it's not rained all day long in the past week. We've just some showers here and there.

I agree with the above posts that you can't hinge everything on the weather forecasts for this area. I've seen forecasts for thunderstorms all week long and we had nothing but sunshine during that time. Typically rain showers only lasts for a short time in this area and it's very unusual for us to have constant rain rain all day.
May 16th, 2005, 07:26 AM

Nathan - dont worry! I am in Nevis right now and it says thunderstorms here too. They are very uncommon in the Caribbean anyway. I lived down here for years and saw a couple maybe. It is overcast here today, as in SXM but it is supposed to clear up by the end of today. It did rain last night, but it was about 130am. It is nice and warm though! Supposed to be about 90 on Wed.
May 16th, 2005, 07:28 AM

Also, as a rule when it rains down here its for a few minutes. Unless there is a major weather front which really is not expected anytime soon. Dont worry it will be nice! It was beautiful yesterday afternoon very sunny. It changes quickly so its never cloudy for too long! Enjoy!
May 16th, 2005, 09:24 AM

Thanks for the Nevis weather update MIM04. I'll be arriving there on Saturday Can't wait...