We Need a Vacation! AZ -Sedona, GC & Page

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please help me plan a short vacation (6 nights) to Arizona! I am on my own with this one and way out of my element - if I don't get help soon, we are not going

This is what I am thinking and it is absolutely a bare bones outline. Please tell me if it makes sense. I also have no idea the driving distances between places.

Fly into Phoenix drive to Sedona for 3 nights. Really want to find "resort" accomodations. BTW, what is the drive time from Phoenix to Sedona?

Drive from Sedona to GC South Rim for 2 nights. How long of a trip is this?

From GC South Rim, go to Page to do the Float trip (drive/distance time?)- should we stay a night here or drive back to Phoenix and spend the night in the city before flying out the next day?

Another question...how are the roads heading to the GC? Will I fear for my life, is what I am asking. I didn't enjoy the ride along Hwy 1 in California, just for a frame of reference

Anyway, I hope you Fodorites can help - my family is counting on you

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 02:27 PM

Hi Seetheworld,
Before Utahtea comes to your rescue – don’t worry, she always does – here’s the only thing I can help you with (from my own planning): from GC to Page is about 136 mi (Mapquest puts it to 3 hrs 15 min).
From what I know, the drive is pretty scenic, so you will probably tempted to stop several times.
Good luck planning and enjoy your vacation!!
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 02:26 PM

Drive time from Phoenix to Sedona - 2 hours - easy drive. Make sure you stop at Montezuma's Castle on the way up.

Enchantment Resort in Boynton Canyon is one of the best. (Even if you don't stay at Enchantment, the Boynton Canyon hiking trail is one to consider.)

Drive time from Sedona up to the GC South Rim - a little more than 2.5 hours.

Haven't been to Page, so cannot comment on it.
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 02:55 PM

page to phoenix is a bit long only because going down into phoenix 17 can be quite a drive fast downhill and curves. (oh yeah and big trucks right next to you) so you want to be fresh for that drive. you'll have a great time.
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 03:19 PM

I haven't spent that much time in Sedona. We have driven there several times. Hwy 89A north of Sedona can be pretty windy so you might want to take I-17 up to Flagstaff and then take I-40 towards Williams and drive up to the Grand Canyon on Hwy 64.

Phoenix to Sedona is just about 2 hours (115 miles). Mostly interstate driving. I agree with exiledprincess, you should consider stopping at Montezuma's Castle National Monument just north of Camp Verde for an hour to see the ruins.

Sedona to Grand Canyon is another 117 miles and will take about 2 1/2 hours. Hwy 64 is a nice drive.

Grand Canyon to Page will take almost 3 hours, but give yourself more time because as you exit the park driving east on Hwy 64 there are many scenic overlooks of the Grand Canyon from the Village to Desert View. There are two short sections of switchbacks. One as you exit the park and on just before you reach Page but both are short and fast and very scenic!

From Page back to Phoenix is 5 hours. The half day float trip will take about 6 hours of your time. Three hours there, 6 hours for the float and 5 hours back to Phoenix is WAY to much for one day. I would plan on spending at least one night in Page to do this trip.

If you haven't made any resevations yet, you might consider doing this trip in reverse. Day 1 drive to Page (stopping at Montezuma's Castle, Sunset Crater & Wupakti National Monument & spend night in Page. Day 2 do float trip and drive to Grand Canyon for 2 nights, then drive to Sedona for your 3 nights. Then the day you flight out, you will only have a 2 hour drive back to Phoenix.

Utahtea
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 07:44 PM

I have no idea what it costs these days, but on our honeymoon in 92 mrlou and I stayed one night at one of the top balcony rooms at El Tovar. This was after checking out of the most "historic" room with no view and a high tariff. Mrlou knew right then, when I stormed to the front desk to move us from our splurge night, that from that moment on, I was in charge of all things travel!!! Room service, room service. As soon as we saw the HUGE balcony, we knew dinner and bfast were in order....magical, breathtaking, and worth every penny .......wow were we lucky to have this wonderful memory! Sedona was wonderful too, a jaunt to Jerome should still be in order, unless things have changed,,, and as I write this I look at an amazing picture I took during our rafting trip from Glen Canyon Damn, although I don't recall it being 6 hours? Page is heaven too! Fun!
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the information.

I have just been informed by my DH (and I think in this case I might mean *dreadful* husband) that we only have 4 nights to do this trip because of his work schedule. Therefore, we have decided to wait until we can give the trip the time it deserves to do it right. I'll be back.....
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 04:34 PM

Sorry about the change in plans!

Hold out for 10 days next time!!!! \/

We'll be here when ya need us! ;-)

Utahtea
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Utahtea! Matter-of-fact, I think I might just hold out for 10 days...the DH owes me big time
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 06:06 PM

Well hey, maybe your plans are on hold to get that room at El Tovar!!! Your cup is half full!
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Hey, gippielou, I checked out the El Tovar online - what history! The DH won't know what hit him when I plan our 10 day adventure, heehee!