Phoenix to Grand Canyon in a day?

Old Oct 1st, 2004, 05:53 AM
smccrary4

Phoenix to Grand Canyon in a day?

We will be in Phoenix in Oct. on business and have one free day. Is it feasible to try to see the Grand Canyon? We would like to explore it by foot, not by helicopter. Are there any tours that fly you to GC and let you explore by yourself for the day? Or any other options you would recommend?

Old Oct 1st, 2004, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure from your post whether you plan to drive up to the GC and back in the same day. If so, you're in for a l-o-o-o-o-o-n-g day. In other words, don't try it.

If you're planning on going early in the a.m. and staying overnight, you could do it, although it's still a lot of driving over the course of 24 hours. Of course, maybe you're not planning to drive at all. I couldn't tell.

Sorry, haven't heard of tours that fly to GC from Phoenix, but maybe others can help you with that.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 09:00 AM
OO

It's a 4 hour drive from Phoenix. If you left at 6 you'd be there by 10. You can hike a bit of Bright Angel, get a good feel for the Canyon, leave at 6 and be back by 10. A lot of driving, k999 9 is right, but when will you get back again.

If that is too much, why not go to Sedona instead. Sedona is absolutely spectacular as well and only 2 hours from Phoenix.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 09:04 AM

I don't know about airlines from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon. I couldn't find any.

If you plan on driving up and back in one day, then you will be covering close to 500 miles. The days in October are shorter and so you will either be driving in the dark or not get much site seeing at the canyon. Plan on it taking about 7 hours of just driving time (round trip)

If you could possibly leave the night before, drive up and spend one night in Flagstaff, Williams or Tusayan then it would help.

Utahtea
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 09:08 AM

A very ambitious day, but can be done. Why not treat yourself to a stay over in Sedona. . .just beautiful!
Stayed at best western in Sedona. . .moderately priced quite upscale for a chain.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 10:20 AM
smccrary4

It sounds like GC might be a little ambitious. Would you recommend Sedona over the the Apache Trail and Canyon Lake areas? Forgive my ignorance - I've never been to Arizona but do want to explore as much of the natural beauty of the landscape as possible in our unfortunately short stay. Thanks!

Old Oct 1st, 2004, 01:34 PM

Sedona is a beautiful area and I haven't been to the Apache Trail & Canyon Lakes area. Here are two links to pictures of both areas. Maybe that will help.

http://www.americansouthwest.net/ari...otographs.html

http://www.americansouthwest.net/ari...otographs.html

Sedona is still a two hour drive from Phoenix (one way). On the way is Montezuma's Castle National Monument just above Camp Verde which is worth an hour time.

Utahtea
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 07:16 PM

I think you can fly from Scottsdale to the Grand Canyon - here's a link to their website:
http://www.grandcanyonairlines.com/
It's fairly expensive, but would save a lot of time!