Washington DC travel from Dulles Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm flying into Dulles airport this Saturday for a work conference. I'm not renting a car. What is the best way (method of travel) to get from the airport to the Renaissance hotel downtown. I'm rather lost on public transit in D.C. Thanks!
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 12:37 PM

www.metwashairports.com has a Dulles section which gives you the options.

Since you asked best: a prereserved car with a driver who meets you at the luggage area to carry your luggage and take you to the car.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 12:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Taxis, while not cheap, are very easy to get. Will take about 3-40 minutes to the Renaissance. Shouldn't be too much traffic on a Saturday.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 12:56 PM

Cheaper would be Metrobus 5A to L'Enfant Plaza ($6), then Metro to your hotel -- which Renaissance location? If it is on 8/9th Street, then Yellow or Green line to Gallery Place and walk three blocks. See stationmasters.com for details of the areas around each station in the system.
Or hail a taxi after you get off the bus at L'Enfant, fare would be $10 or less.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 01:04 PM

Addign to the above, the 5A bus stops at Rosslyn Metrorail station also which is on the blue/orange line. I would not get off there because there is trackwork scheduled for that line this weekend.

http://www.wmata.com/images/mrel/wee..._for_June.pdf?

5A schedule: http://www.wmata.com/bus/timetables/dc/05a.pdf?n

For the same reason, I would not take the Washington Flyer to the Washington Flyer bus to the West Falls Church Station.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 02:15 PM

Check out this Dulles Taxi service. They offer flat rate taxi service from Dulles airport to Anywhere in Washington DC. their name is Waldorf Air Trans. Website: http://www.waldorfairtrans.com. or just call them 301-710-5337
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 03:26 PM

you can also take a chance with SuperShuttle - $30 to anyplace in DC, depending on how many are waiting the wait could be 15 min to 40 min for a shuttle. However it is a flat rate of $30 . I have had better luck pre paying in advance - - they usually find a shuttle within 10 min - and once you leave Dulles, it's not too much difference if you are the first stop or last stop in DC.
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 08:51 PM

The best deal is definitely the 5A bus plus taxi. The bus is only $6. Have exact change as the driver does not make change.

Most weekends East and West Falls Church have track work so connecting with Metro makes no sense. It has to do with the Metro line being built to Dulles Airport. Some year this will all be over.

PS I know the guy has already done is trip, but this may help someone else.
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 11:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Agree that the best deal is to take the 5A bus. Metro has published a schedule of the weekend track work -- it doesn't effect the whole system and the work is not every weekend. The work in general is unrelated to the metro construction to IAD.
http://www.wmata.com/rail/trackwork.cfm
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 11:46 AM

Yes, and the West Falls Church station, which will be the dividing point for the new Dulles line, is usually affected by weekend track work.