Best way....BWI to DC

Jul 14th, 2008, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

Best way....BWI to DC

A group of 8 or 10 friends will be arriving at BWI on a Thursday about noon. What is the best way to get to our hotel in DC?
Thanks.
Jul 14th, 2008, 03:45 AM

There is no single "best" way; a lot depends on your proprities and budget.

The easiest way is to take taxis or maybe hire a car that will hold you all.

The cheapest is to take the Metro's B30 express bus to the Greenbelt Metro station and then take the regular Metro line(s) to the stop closest to your hotel. The B30 uses special airport-style buses with luggage racks, etc. It leaves every 40 minutes, 7 days a week, and costs about $3.

A third option is to take the shuttle from BWI to the train station, take the MARC commuter train to Union Station, and then the regular metro.
Jul 14th, 2008, 03:45 AM

proprities? Priorities!
Jul 14th, 2008, 04:57 AM

I am a volunteer at the airport and here are a couple of tips. (Anonymous gave great advice.)

1. The B-30 bus requires exact fare ($3.10) or a Metro card.

2. Stop at an information desk; they have schedules for both B30 and MARC as well as prices.

3. If the MARC schedule does not work and you want a train, try Amtrak....same route.

4. It might be quicker and easier to take a cab since there are several of you to share.

Have fun!
Jul 14th, 2008, 05:09 AM

The "best way" is for those "8 or 10" to decide just WHERE all of you are going to MEET at BWI and whether or not you WANT A CAR while in DC AND if you are going to need one to GET BACK to BWI for return flights.

If you don't need a car then either a taxi or public transport seems good...OR how about using one of the shuttle services from the airport to your hotel in DC?

I'd say you've got some details to work out on this one.
Jul 14th, 2008, 06:40 AM

My wife and I flew into BWI took the shuttle to the rail terminal and then took Amtrak to Union station. It was simple and inexpensive. You can also take the MARC train. We chose the amtrak because it was leaving soon and was cheaper. Once you get to Union station you can go anywhere easily on the metro.No sweat!
Jul 14th, 2008, 07:30 AM

Amtrak was cheaper than MARC?! I prefer the bus because it's right there at the terminal, so there's one less transfer. But speaking of transfers, another choice factor might be the location of the hotel: Union Station is on the red line of the Metro and Greenbelt is at one end of the green line.

Comments on some of the above suggestions: Using a taxi or rental car would require at least two vehicles for this number of people, doubling the price of this option.

And when you're boarding the B30 bus, if you don't have exact change, they'll accept larger bills and coins, but you don't get any change back!
Jul 14th, 2008, 07:42 AM

I fly in and out of BWI often and prefer to use a car service, which will ensure there is little waiting, someone to help with luggage, and a comfortable ride. I've used Roadmaster, Boston Coach, and A La Carte--all are good and reliable and can be found online. The last time my husband and I took a car from BWI to DC, it was about $90 with tip, but you can contact them and perhaps negotiate a better price since you'll need more than one car for your group. Just another option.