Search

BWI to Dulles

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 02:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BWI to Dulles

Can anyone tell me the easiest way to get fom BWI to Dulles? I've been all over the BWI website, and can't decide if I should take one of the airport shuttle vans or if there is some way of taking the Metro... I'm going to be landing at BWI at about 430pm and it will be easier if my friend picks me up at Dulles as she works very close to there. Thanks
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:25 AM

You will NOT be taking any Metros between the two since they are MILES apart.

You could take some sort of shuttle service. You could take AMTRAK or a MARK train from BWI to Union Station in Washington; transfer to the Washington Metro for a train to West Falls Church; transfer from WFC to a shuttle bus to Dulles.

THIS is CRAZY IMO....I think your friend needs to get into this mix and meet you half way.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:43 AM

The two airports are on opposite sides of DC; if you took a cab, it would travel 60 miles, and use the 495 beltway around DC.

The "fastest" way would be to take the B30 express bus from BWI to the Metro's Greenbelt station, take the green line metro to L'Enfant Plaza, go outside and get the 5A bus to Dulles.

But each leg of this route would take at least half an hour -- possibly much longer if you're traveling on buses in rush-hour traffic. And neither of the airport buses runs frequently (the B30 is every 40 minutes). So you'd be arriving at 8 PM.

Perhaps you should plan an intermediary place that you would both arrive at the same time; at L'Enfant station, you could switch to the Orange line of the Metro instead of taking the bus to Dulles, and go to one of the Metro stops in Virginia at the end of the Orange line.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 04:06 AM

Not to mention traveling WITH luggage!!!
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 04:54 AM

Yeah, the luggage does make it more interesting. The B30 bus has set-aside areas for luggage, and the poster would be getting on at the end of the line at Greenbelt and traveling against the rush-hour traffic so the train wouldn't be particularly crowded. But still not much fun.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Well, luckily, I'll be travelling very light. Smallest of roll-aboards and not even a laptop this trip. Getting on a bus won't be a problem. I'll look into seeing where she's coming from and maybe just try to get closer to that, rather than the airport and killing time there. Thanks for your help.