Washington DC -- Metro's Red Line

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 04:15 AM
carl

Washington DC -- Metro's Red Line

Hi, I'm in the Dupont Circle area right now and need to get to a Target in the next few days. Is there one accessible by the Red Line without too much hassle with bus transfers, etc?

Many thanks in advance!

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 06:28 AM
Kim

Absolutely, just take the Red Line in the direction of Glenmont and get off at Wheaton. Walk across the parking lot to Wheaton Plaza. A brand new Target just opened on Sunday, 7/28 where Montgomery Ward used to be. It's supposedly the largest Target in the nation. Hope this helps....Happy Shopping!!!!

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 06:39 AM
xxx

Let me get this straight, Carl. You posted an everyday, run of the mill, local transportation question on Fodors Travel Forum. If no one had responded, were you going to sit in your hotel/apartment and hibernate? Are you also dependent upon this forum to tell you where to get a container of milk? And please do tell us where you turn to for life's really BIG decisions.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 06:44 AM
carl

So condescending, xxx. Relax and get over yourself. I'm traveling, and the folks at the hotel don't know how to get to a Target. It's not urgent -- and I visit this site regularly -- and thought I'd post the question here. Thanks to Kim for her quick response.

It must be horrible to be you.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 06:53 AM
xxx

Gee, no. Why would it be horrible to be me? YOU'RE the one who shops at Target (and while traveling, no less). I'm the one who gets to laugh at you. No contest.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 07:21 AM
Sue

Wow, xxx, what a response.

Well, i've shopped at Walmart while traveling - am I a sad case too?

If only this forum contained more Kim's and fewer xxx's - do you agree, carl? There are so few straight answers to straight questions.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 07:48 AM
kit

Don't forget the "Night of the Living CVS" right there off the Circle!

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 11:15 AM
Ann

I think xxx and t (see the British couple with little girl coming to the US thread) are the same person. And I get the feeling that there's a WHOLE lot more to laugh at about them than Carl shopping at Target.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 11:30 AM
Arabella

I was at the "Night of the Living Dead" CVS last night -- what a collection of humanity!

If Carl is staying at my hotel, I understand why he's asking Fodorites for help. The "concierge" is useless.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 12:46 PM
Lyn

Actually Carl I am in agreement with XXX. You could have picked up a phone book to find Target or visited Target's website.

I have no axe to grind but this is pure laziness on your part.

What were you going to do when you got lost at Wheaton Plaza? Find a internet cafe to find your way back?

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 01:00 PM
KenCT

What's the point here? Carl asked a specific question; Kim answered it. End of discussion.

Then the Question Evaluation Police stepped in.

As I see it, this is exactly the kind of question that this board does best. Specific questions, specific answers.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 01:22 PM
James

Lazy? Sounds efficient to me. Really? You expect a visitor to a unfamiliar city to know the names of the neighborhoods well enough to pick the correct Target? And to expect a retail clerk to give accurate directions from Dupont Circle to Wheaton is hilarious.

Geez. This thread should have expired at 9:28 this morning when the (perfectly valid) asked question was (kindly and promptly) answered.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 02:54 PM
r-travels

I'm agree with the last to postings. I often have problems finding the address of rail/subway stations in order to find nearby businesses, and would expect a quick and accurate answer given by some nice person like Kim in little time.

I've found that in most hotels, if you want info on public transportation, you'll usually get better advice from housekeepers than the higher paid employees - one group often uses it, the others look down their noses at it.