Washington DC Hotel Help

Search

Washington DC Hotel Help

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2022, 01:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Washington DC Hotel Help

I will be visiting Washington DC for 3 nights. I am from Australia and have never been to the city. I will be catching a train from NYC to Washington. I am visiting my son who lives in NYC.
My son (29 year old) will be coming with me to Washington - mother/son trip. So I need a hotel with 2 double beds.

I am really confused which area to stay. I have booked Capital Hill Hotel, but it is cancellable.

Can someone please assist my on a hotel choice or an area to look at. My budget is $350USD per night. Can go up to $400 for the right hotel.

Other contenders are Lyle Hotel, and The River Inn (which I think may be too far from sights)

would love a hotel where I can walk to sites.

thanks in advance
Old Sep 2nd, 2022, 04:32 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We stayed there and it is a very nice hotel. No problems at all.
Old Sep 2nd, 2022, 10:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You might look at the Riggs Hotel. Depending on your dates, it could be in your budget range.

A friend of mine visits her granddaughter in WDC a couple of times a year and recently stayed at this hotel. It's in a former bank building, and much of the bank's historic interior and decorative elements have been retained. My friend liked the location because of its close proximity to the Metro Center and Gallery Place metro stations, National Portrait Gallery, is walkable to the Mall, White House, etc. She wasn't crazy about the room decor (she's more minimalist) but said the room was very comfortable and quiet. She does like a nice bar and lobby, and apparently the Riggs passed her test.

https://www.riggsdc.com/about
Old Sep 2nd, 2022, 10:32 AM

I haven't stayed there but have you considered the JW Marriott? It looks like it is within your budget and well located.
Old Sep 3rd, 2022, 07:35 AM

JW Marriott is prime central location, of course.

I presume you mean Capitol Hill Hotel as there isn't anything called Capital Hill. Capitol is the name for a building where the seat of govt is conducted, state, local, or Federal. A capital is the main city in a state or county where the seat of govt is located, but not a building.

That location isn't that convenient for a tourist, I wouldn't think, and not close walking distance to many tourist attractions, except the Library of Congress and the Capitol bldg itself. It's over a mile to the other nearest place, the National Gallery and start of the Mall, but it reuns west a couple miles from the Capitol bldg. It is close to a metro stop, though, but I'd think being in Penn Qtr/Chinatown or area around Federal Triangle (where the JW Marriott is) would be more convenient. I like the neighborhood of the Lyle hotel a lot, but you wouldn't be walking to the Mall from there, I imagine, but taking the metro which isn't too far away. The River Inn is probably closer to a metro stop than that (Foggy Bottom) but not quite as many restaurants etc around there compared to Dupont Circle. That used to be university housing, I think, GWI is near there.

Hotels around McPherson Sq are a very convenient location also, that's just more a main business area than Foggy Bottom or Dupont Circle which are more heighborhood-y. Union Station is on the red metro line so a hotel near a red line stop might be convenient also. That would be Gallery Place/Chinatown or Metro Center or Dupont Circle.

Your budget seems fine but it really depends when this trip is and on what days. Weekend nights are almost always cheaper in hotels in DC due to fewer business travelers.
Old Sep 3rd, 2022, 09:06 AM

Like Canberra Washington is designed around grand display with things set back and very far apart, and makes for a poor walking city. No hotel is close to more than a couple things and few tourist sites are close to a metro stop.

I was just there and I think I saw that the hoho buses now run $50/day? In any event the ticket is to locate a map of the city bus called red circulator that circulates around The Mall.

https://www.dccirculator.com/ride/rider-tools/schedule/

https://www.dccirculator.com/ride/ri...teractive-map/

The Holiday Inn Washington Capitol National Mall at $250 is close to the red circulator in a bland but safe area with limited restaurants.

Old Sep 3rd, 2022, 09:25 AM

Here’s a recent conversation about (certain chain) hotels and locations, and restaurants in Washington. You may find some of the comments helpful—

Marriott or Hyatt recs in DC
Old Sep 3rd, 2022, 09:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The DC that tourists visit is pretty compact and walkable with good access to the Metro and also a bus system catering to visitors (the Circulator). All the hotels you (and others) have mentioned would be fine choices but it might helpful if you and your son prioritize what you want to see during your visit. Look at a map of the National Mall and plot the hotels.

The JW Marriott is very popular with first time visitors.

Originally Posted by Christina
The River Inn is probably closer to a metro stop than that (Foggy Bottom) but not quite as many restaurants etc around there compared to Dupont Circle. That used to be university housing, I think, GWI is near there.
The River Inn used to be studio and one bedroom apartments. All of the rooms have kitchenettes. There are plenty of restaurants there as well as its adjacent neighborhoods of Georgetown and West End.

Metro Station (Foggy Bottom) 5 minute walk
Lincoln Memorial 18 min walk
White House 20 min walk
Georgetown 5 min walk
Kennedy Center 7 min walk
Old Sep 3rd, 2022, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by tom_mn
Like Canberra Washington is designed around grand display with things set back and very far apart, and makes for a poor walking city. No hotel is close to more than a couple things and few tourist sites are close to a metro stop..
It's a city, not Disneyland.

You are incorrect that tourist sites are not close to a Metro stop.
Old Sep 3rd, 2022, 10:02 AM

You are incorrect that tourist sites are not close to a Metro stop.
Visited DC many, many, many times, Tried and tried to get the metro to work for tourist sites. I’m not incorrect.
Old Sep 3rd, 2022, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

thank you everyone. I have booked 'The Lyle'. I have searched for days, and this one is the best for our budget. It is a bit further out, but we are fine to walk or catch public transport.

I am just about to put together a list of what we are going to see when. So far I have booked a 'Capitol Hill' tour. Have lots more to research.
Old Sep 3rd, 2022, 04:35 PM

tom - surprised to hear you had problems using public transit in DC. Any specific sites you could not easily reach?
Old Sep 5th, 2022, 09:57 AM

hotel in DC

My favorite hotel in DC close to the tourist sights that is affordable is the Willard. Very convenient and memorable history.
Old Sep 5th, 2022, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by millie2112
thank you everyone. I have booked 'The Lyle'. I have searched for days, and this one is the best for our budget. It is a bit further out, but we are fine to walk or catch public transport.

I am just about to put together a list of what we are going to see when. So far I have booked a 'Capitol Hill' tour. Have lots more to research.
The Lyle is a fine choice and a recently updated boutique hotel. It's a period Art Deco building that was originally apartments.

The Dupont Circle metro station is on the red line and is a few minutes walk from the hotel. You mentioned arriving by train at Union Station where you can board a red line train to Shady Grove and go (I think) five stops. Cabs and Uber/Lyft will be plentiful if you prefer a private ride.

Good luck with your planning!
Old Sep 5th, 2022, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

thank you Obxgirl with that information. much appreciated.