Search

Trip to Tarrytown

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2022, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to Tarrytown

Hi all! We are taking an overnight trip to Tarrytown NY, traveling from Princeton, NJ at the end of September. Will be leaving after 9 to avoid traffic, looks like the 287 route and NJ turnpike routes are about the same distance. I know 287 can be a nightmare but is the turnpike any better? I’m thinking 287 might be more scenic but just read it is one of the most dangerous highways in NJ so there’s that..
Old Sep 5th, 2022, 04:32 PM
J62

9am or 9pm? I assume you mean 9am, as 9pm would be after dark.

As for scenic, I guess it depends on what you want to see. If it's NYC skyline, then the Turnpike would give you those views. If it's more greenery, then the most scenic would probably be the Turnpike to the Garden State Parkway, into NY connecting to I287. And there are no trucks on the GSP which is a plus.

Personally, I'd take the NJ Turnpike to I80 to Rt17 to I287, but I'm familar with that route with my eyes closed.

But I287 the whole way would be fine. At 9am you'd likely still hit morning volume traffic regardless of the route. I'd check google maps at 9am several days over the next few weeks to see what traffic looks like and see what the pinch points are.
Old Sep 5th, 2022, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the reply- yes we would be leaving after 9am. I like your idea about the Garden State because as you said no truck traffic! Maybe it’s just me but truck traffic seems like it’s doubled lately maybe it’s all these new warehouses going up everywhere!