Marriott or Hyatt recs in DC

Old Jul 29th, 2022, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marriott or Hyatt recs in DC

Hi all,
I'll be in DC for four or five days early in September and am just starting to look at hotels. The last time we stayed in a DC hotel was many years ago because we usually stay with friends, but this is a hotel sort of visit.
I've read other threads here and have made a note of some of the recommendations but I wanted to ask specifically about Hyatts and Marriotts since I have points to spend at both. It's not a must but if I can find a Hyatt or Marriott I'm happy with and can save a night's worth of $, well, why not?
We won't be driving so parking isn't an issue but we do want to be within walking distance of the Mall. For things that are not within walking distance, we're happy to take public transportation.
So of the downtown Hyatts and Marriotts, which would you say are the best?
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

It turns out I also have Hilton points!
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Mods, please move this to the Washington DC forum.
Thanks
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 06:09 AM

We like the Grand Hyatt. In Penn Quarter at H Street and 10th, it’s convenient to the metro and walkable to the mall. And two of our favorite Jose Andres restaurants are nearby—Jaleo and Zaytinya. We were there over the Memorial Day holiday: every member of the staff was welcoming and seemed genuinely happy to see us and answer any need.
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 06:20 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by goddesstogo
Mods, please move this to the Washington DC forum.
Thanks
As I mentioned on your other thread -- there is no "Wash. DC Forum". There is just an overall 'United States Forum' where all states are 'lumped' together. One can tag topics for various states/DC which lets people search for a specific place. Your thread is visible to anyone who is looking at the US board and the title makes it clear you are asking about Wash. DC. If you want it tagged for DC, you can use the triangle to contact the moderators and ask them to add it (they might even be able to add Hilton to your title if you want).
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, k_marie. I'll definitely check that out and the restaurants as well!
Hi janisj. I think 'forum' was the wrong word for me to use. I do want it specifically tagged for DC and I did contact the mods requesting that.
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 06:44 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Hi janisj. I think 'forum' was the wrong word for me to use. I do want it specifically tagged for DC and I did contact the mods requesting that.
Just to clarify (and trying not to hijack your thread ) how did you contact them? The orange triangle? That opens a direct dialog box where you can ask them to add the tag and edit the title if you want). Or if you sent a private message - that works too.
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 07:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
The GH mentioned is a good location as is the Marriott Conv Center right near by. In addition to the 2 Jose Andres restaurants mentioned about he had China Chilcano and Oyamel also on that same street. Both are excellent.
Enjoy my city!
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 08:01 AM

Adding Oyamel to my list. Thanks, yes travel.
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by k_marie
Adding Oyamel to my list. Thanks, yes travel.
no shortage of great restaurants in DC.
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
Just to clarify (and trying not to hijack your thread ) how did you contact them? The orange triangle? That opens a direct dialog box where you can ask them to add the tag and edit the title if you want). Or if you sent a private message - that works too.
I did it a couple of ways. This is what it says under the dialogue box if you click the orange triangle:
Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.
so I didn't use that.
I've already got a couple of good suggestions here so I think I'm going to be ok even if it doesn't get tagged.
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Well, that was easy!
I just booked the Grand Hyatt and I'm using points for the first night and getting the seniors' rate for the following two nights. I have to say that I'm pretty surprised at the low hotel rates in downtown DC, especially having just come back from NYC and living in Toronto.
The seniors' rate for the days I'm there are $190/night plus at $20 'destination fee' (really, I wish they'd just build that into the price and not call it something else). I just checked the downtown Marriott here in Toronto for the same dates and even taking the US/Cdn exchange rate into consideration, it would cost me $100 more a night here!.
Anyway, thanks so much for your help! And I'll definitely take those restaurant recs with me. You're absolutely right, yestravel, our friends have taken us to some wonderful restaurants in DC. I think it's a wonderful city!
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 06:48 PM

Be certain to check the inclusions in the destination fee. I believe there was a small dining credit and bottles of water as well as a metro card with ~$3. credit. Water may have been a perk of HHonors membership.
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 06:50 PM

When we had a GTG in DC a couple years ago the Grand Hyatt and Marriott Metro Center were where several Fodorites stayed. IMO the GH is a notch above but both are pretty good. Several of us got together for a wonderful meal at nearby Zaytinya, highly recommend it for excellent food and great service.

The Penn Quarter neighborhood is a good bet, plenty of hotels and restos in the area including what's left of Chinatown. (Chinatown Express on 6th and H, with its unmissable Kelly green facade, is a great noodle house - polar opposite of posh but everything is delectable.) Under the Hilton brand there's an Embassy Suites near the Convention Center that is pretty good, a Hampton Inn on 6th St NW where I stayed a few times when working in DC including during a Snowmaggedon event, another on H St between 17 and 18th NW where I stayed several times for work, and a Hilton Garden Inn near McPherson Square which is a good location for your needs.

When I traveled to DC for work my favorite place to stay when I could snag rates at federal per diem was the Hamilton at 14th and K NW near McPherson Square. Had some extra significance to me as it was used as a residence for my aunt when she was a "Red Cross Girl" just after WWII. It used to be part of IHG hotels but has since rebranded. It's aligned with Historic Hotels of America and gets good reviews.
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, km, I'll look into that!
Old Jul 31st, 2022, 04:57 PM

Grand Hyatt is a nice place - and there's a metro stop right at the hotel. If you can get access to the club floor they usually put out a nice spread for breakfast and evening happy hour.
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Seamus, I think your post must have been delayed in flight. We've booked the Grand Hyatt and have invited our friends to join us for dinner at Zaytinya. I'm really looking forward to this visit! Our friends are taking us to Wolftrap to see Sting and we're treating them for dinner before at a restaurant near there that they've chosen. We'll probably go to a couple of museums but I have a nice list of markets that I want to check out.
We've visited the monuments several times and even had a private tour of Arlington Cemetery with a friend who is a tour guide there. And we've done the Air & Space Museum many times. (I stood in line once, with a bunch of little kids, to touch a piece of the moon. I felt a right fool standing there but when it got to be my turn I though "OMG, I'm actually touching a piece of the MOON!!!)
The first time we visited DC I was surprised and touched by the beauty of the monuments and especially by the fact that they were so pristine. I really expected them to be covered in graffiti but they were just perfect.
And frustratingly, once again I can't take a tour of the White House because I'm a foreigner. Yes, I know the website says to contact my embassy in Washington but my embassy says no, no, no -- no can do!
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 01:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great choice in Zaytinya!

Honestly, you're not missing much in the WH tour. I realize that doesn't mitigate one iota the dumbness of the rule.

Don't know how many years it's been since your last DC visit but a walk-by on the pedestrian mall between Lafayette Park and the north side of the WH is once again a warm and friendly experience.

Markets are always high in the travel queue for me. Which DC are ones on your list?
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Re markets, La Cosecha is a name my friend sent me.
Others are here:
https://www.thediscoverer.com/blog/6...ulWJ7n1gAGMFh7
I haven't had time to look at any of them in detail yet but if there are one or two you would particularly recommend, I'd be glad to know them.
"Don't know how many years it's been since your last DC visit but a walk-by on the pedestrian mall between Lafayette Park and the north side of the WH is once again a warm and friendly experience."
We haven't stayed in DC proper for several years. We usually stay with our friends in Virginia and go into DC for specific things. What's special about this particular walk?

Old Aug 1st, 2022, 03:14 PM

Re markets, La Cosecha is a name my friend sent me.
Others are here:
https://www.thediscoverer.com/blog/6...ulWJ7n1gAGMFh7
I haven't had time to look at any of them in detail yet but if there are one or two you would particularly recommend, I'd be glad to know them.
"Don't know how many years it's been since your last DC visit but a walk-by on the pedestrian mall between Lafayette Park and the north side of the WH is once again a warm and friendly experience."
We haven't stayed in DC proper for several years. We usually stay with our friends in Virginia and go into DC for specific things. What's special about this particular walk?
Eastern Market esp on the weekends is nice. I like Union Market but last time I was there, maybe last summer lots of empty stalls. Not sure what it’s like now.
DuPont Circle Sunday market is huge and crowded.

African Am Museum is great. You need tickets as is the case for a couple museums. My fav gallery is Phillips but it’s not free like most of the museums.
FDR which is all outside is one of my faves. Library of Congress is a building and not crowded.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -