Washington, D.C. - Drinks near Kennedy Center

Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Washington, D.C. - Drinks near Kennedy Center

My friend and I (2 women in their 20's) will be seeing the 9:00 p.m. performance of Shear Madness on a Saturday at the Kennedy Center. We are looking for a nearby place to have drinks before/after the show. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:21 PM

Oddly enough, Kennedy Center is a bit of a deadzone without much interesting around it for places like drinks or even dinner.

Depending on the time of the year, it's a pleasant walk to the Georgetown Harbor and you could grab a drink at Sequoia, where the food is questionable but the drinks and atmosphere quite nice.

Old Feb 8th, 2007, 11:07 AM

How nearby do you want to be? As Mike says, there aren't any great places for a drink real nearby that I can think of, in terms of being a nice bar. I think the best idea is just to go up to the Kennedy Center Roof Terrace Restaurant & Bar. It might be too busy before, but should be okay after the show. Of course you can go all the way to Georgetown, but that may be much farther than you had it mind, but certainly there are tons of places there. That would be the closest location with a lot of choices, I'd say.

If you want a short walk and the KC roof terrace doesn't work or appeal to you, I'd suggest the bistro in the One Washington Circle hotel. They have a bar and even happy hour prices from 5 to 8 pm every night. That's only a couple blocks away, at Wash Circle, of course. The other places I can think of are not what I'd recommend to two 20 somethings (like the bar inside the Melrose Hotel).
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think Georgetown Harbor is that far for a walk if it is a nice evening. I stayed at the Watergate a few times and we strolled over for drinks, a 10-minute walk at most. That being said it sounds like the bar at The Kennedy Ceneter might be the most convenient place.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 02:14 PM

no, it might not be for many people who want to go for a long walk late at night, if it's nice weather. 10 min. is pretty brisk, but they might want to go there. It's hard to tell how they plan to get from that spot to their hotel. I think it's about a half mile to Sequoia from there.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 02:19 PM

I suppose you could consider having a drink at the Watergate Hotel next door to the KenCen.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 03:40 PM

The rooftop of the Kennedy Center has a wonderful view.