Trip detour to Baltimore?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are making our first trip to DC (flying in/out BWI to save money) mid-day on a Friday and flying out mid-day the following Friday. Is there a good reason for me to leave DC on Thursday morning and spend the last night in Baltimore seeing sights before we leave? What's there that I shouldn't pass this opportunity up, or should I invest my time into seeing more sites in DC?
Old May 8th, 2006, 05:09 PM

What is it you want to see in Bmore? The Aquarium? The Walter's? The BMA? Some hotties at Hopkins?

Come to Bmore, hon, if you want some good chow--namely seafood--and to see the land of John Waters.
Old May 8th, 2006, 06:45 PM
jq

We had same thought re BWI. What else would anyone recomm for a day in Baltimore after 4 or 5 in DC? Thanks for help.
Old May 8th, 2006, 06:46 PM

There is lots to do in Baltimore! Baltimore is more of a 24 hr working city, where in DC, most people come in, then go home at night. BWI is very close to the Harbor, and it would be easy to manage. Like Polly said-what are your intrests? What will you see in DC?
-Katie
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:16 PM

Well here are some places to start-
Walk around the Harbor, get some ice cream. Make sure you walk up Federal Hill for the view. We always eat in Federal Hill, lots of restaurants. Bar hopping, dining is also good in Fells Point and Canton. Ft. McHenry is a nice quiet park-birthplace of the Star Spangled Banner. The visionary Art Museum is also downtown. They have a great restaurant I hear. Port Discovery is a fun one for kids, so is the Science Center. I don't care much for sports, but a ball game is fun if you are here at the right time. Also-you can sometimes tour the tall ships in the Harbor if you time it right. The Aquarium is great, but can be packed. Little Italy is nice, again with good timing you can catch the outdoor films there.
After a week in DC you may just want to hang out by the water, eat some crab cakes and people watch. There will be tourists, but mostly locals doing the same as you.
Anything sound appealing? This is just by the Harbour, there is much more city to see if you like.
-Katie
Old May 9th, 2006, 05:39 AM
jq

Katie,
Those things sound great. Thank you.
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:37 AM

Please see my posting under "Maryland".
I would suggest staying in a B&B vs an expensive hotel.
Old May 9th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

I guess I was asking for things to do in Baltimore. When I hear Baltimore as a place to visit, I can't think of any landmarks, etc that people flock to. Am I missing anything? In DC we are going to spend most of our time at the landmarks (Smithsonians, Library of Congress, Arlington, Monuments, etc...). We are mainly doing this and eating out. My husband and I are passionate about great food, even if it means a expensive restaurant, or dining in a hole in the wall. We don't bar hop or enjoy window shopping. We're pretty much computer freaks beyond that.

Does this help to understand what I'm looking for? Beyoned what Katie has mentioned, all I really have been recommended is the aquarium (which I've been to Shedd Aquarium in Chicago, and pretty much feel if I've seen one, I've see them all, right??).
Old May 10th, 2006, 05:53 AM

The National Aquarium in Baltimore is quite different from many others. There is a new exhibit called "Australia: Land of Extremes" with many unusual species from the continent "down under".
Also , uptown a short ride from the harbor is the Washington Monument (the first in the nation to honor him). The Walters Art Galley is right next to the Monument and some great restaurants are in the area (Tio Pepes is outstanding).
Old May 10th, 2006, 08:11 AM

ANOTHER Polly checking in on this topic! Rather than Baltimore, I would go to Annapolis to tour the Academy and walk around the historic area and harbor. Just my humble opinion.
Old May 10th, 2006, 08:19 AM

I personally think Baltimore would be great to explore on your last day and is closer to BWI. Walking around the Inner Harbor, heading to Fells Point would be a great way to relax and round out the trip. Baltimore has a very different feel than DC.
Old May 10th, 2006, 08:27 AM

If its landmarks you are intrested in then DC by far has more. Some landmarks downtown that my intrest you are Ft. McHenry, its a very nice park on the water. You can walk the fort walls and the interior buildings are partially reconstructed. This is where Francis Scott Key wrote the Star Spangled Banner.
The USS Constelation is docked in the Harbor. Its I think the oldest wooden sailing ship in the US, built in the 1800s.
The Edgar Allen Poe museum is uptown a bit near Lexington market. His grave is there as well.
There are several museums uptown and downtown and of course lots and lots of food. We would argue our seafood selection is better than DC.
Most of downtown was rebuilt after a fire in the early 1900s. You can tell where the fire was stopped, as the streets sudenly get narrow. So there is not much old stuff downtown. Baltimore was always a working city, so we are more oriented to culture, ethnic background, food, etc... Of course I am biased, but I think what we have that DC doesn't is a more colorful and lively feel. Its all about the people and what they do in their daily lives. Plus fewer crowds, lines, tourists than DC.
DC can be quite exhausting I think, you may enjoy just taking a break and watching the water.
-Katie
Old May 10th, 2006, 08:39 AM

You could do a "preview" of "Bawlmor" at the beginning of your trip. I have often checked my bags then NOT picked them up when arriving at BWI. You can take the light rail right from the BWI terminal into downtown Baltimore ... get off at Convention Center stop and walk east on Pratt St to the Inner Harbor area. You'll find a visitors center in that area. Take the Light rail back to BWI when you're ready to head to DC.

Yes, you are risking your luggage being stolen, or examined by TSA, or even destroyed ... but that's not happened to me yet. I'd wager that if you visit Baltimore for a day, you'll want to return for that last day too.