Things to do, places to see in Maryland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter's spring break is coming up the week of March 17th. I took the week off to spend some time together, doing a little exploring. We live on the Eastern Shore, MD and I'm looking for some things to do (day trips) that are cheap! We went to D.C. in November 2006 and walked around checking out most the memorials. Am thinking we may do this again, I haven't taken her to any of the museums there and may do this as well. It seems a shame to me that we live so close but don't venture to the "western shore" much. Would love some suggestions from people in the area, not just D.C., but Baltimore, Western MD, etc. Oh I should mention her age I guess, she's 14 and I'll most likely let her bring a friend wherever we go, (we are close, but I know how important it is to be with friends at that age)

Thank you!
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

A few of my ideas so far are:

Washington D.C. a day of walking around and checking out the monuments.

Fort McHenry

C&O Canal - around Great Falls in Potomac, MD

maybe a day at Asateague to see the ponies (not really warm enough to hang out on the beach)

Lewes, DE ferry ride to Cape May, NJ

I'm really looking for some feedback from anyone who is familiar with any of these areas and can recommend stuff to see and do or somewhere else to go. I only have 4 years left til my daughter goes off to college and I want to make the most of every moment. (we always have tried to do that, I just feel like my time is getting shorter)
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 07:53 AM

Have you been to Annapolis? That's a nice day trip.

Baltimore is also a fun day trip - walk around the Inner Harbor, visit the Aquarium, eat in Little Italy, etc. Lots to do there.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 08:41 AM

I think all your ideas are good ones. A trip to Washington or Baltimore would be especially nice because it would be hard to run out of things to do in either of those places. There are so many museums and places of interest in DC, I couldn't even list them all. And most are free. If she gets tired of museums you can stop in a restaurant and share a nice meal or do a litte shopping.

In Baltimore, you can take the water taxi from the Inner Harbor to Ft McHenry and Fells Point. In addition to the Aquarium, there's the Maryland Science Center, and the Visionary Arts museum, just to name a couple of places.

It's still a little too early in the year, but later you might have a lot of fun taking her to an Orioles game at Camden Yards.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 09:47 AM

For something unique but not for everyone, look into the Bodyworlds II exhibit at the Science Center in B'more. The exhibit takes about 2 hours. There is an extra cost but IMO worth it. I had a double undergraduate major, one of which was physiology and still I learned a lot. Do Harborplace before or after.

The Annapolis suggestion is a good one too but be aware that you can't get near the waterfront because of ongoing construction.

Have you been to Gettysburg? It is a good trip. If you go, try to get there early and hire one of the official guides at the visitor's center. They ride with you in your car and give an excellent explanation of all aspects of the site.