Wallet maintenance during Mardi Gras

Feb 7th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Wallet maintenance during Mardi Gras

Hey everyone, I have been reading some of the Mardi Gras websites and they all warn about minding your wallet during Carnival, and of course most importantly during parades. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with my wallet while I am there? Maybe a suggestion on something else to carry instead that may be better and less easy to steal? Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone, mscmkr
Feb 7th, 2009, 05:26 PM

Are you a man or a woman?

Feb 7th, 2009, 05:35 PM

If you a woman may I suggest your bra. As a nice lady told me..

She kept her money in her bra with
"the only 2 suckers she could trust"
Feb 7th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

oops, sorry folks my bad, I am a man. There saying dont put it in your front pocket because thats where the pick pockets will go first. Now I am 6ft and 300lbs, im aloud to knock someone out if they stick there hand in my pocket right?

Thanks again, mscmkr
Feb 8th, 2009, 06:31 AM

Most cautious men get a money belt or a sac that can literally be stowed inside their pants, next to their underwear. Good luck.
Feb 8th, 2009, 07:11 AM

When I'm going to be in a crowded area, I carry my wallet to give the pick pockets a target. However, I first empty it of driver's license, credit cards, other ID, and money. Those I carry in either a money belt under my clothes or a neck pouch under my shirt. I do carry whatever money I think I will need for the day in my pant's pocket so I don't have to access the hidden stash in public.

Having taken all those precautions, I have never been pick pocketed.
Feb 8th, 2009, 09:24 AM

Do not carry wallet in pants pocket. Wear a jacket and put the wallet in an inside pocket that buttons shut.

Also - do be careful how much you imbibe - pickpockets head straight for those who appear to be not completely aware of their surroundings due to too much alcohol.
Feb 8th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great info, I think the jacket thing will work best for me. Inside breast pocket and zip jacket closed should do the trick.

Have a great one, mscmkr
Feb 8th, 2009, 07:28 PM

What I usually do is put ID and money inside of one of my socks inside my shoe (if they can get it from there they deserve it - foot odor and all ). Then, I carry a wallet in my front pocket with old pictures and a few bucks. If they pickpocket me, all they get is a cheap wallet with cheesy photos and a couple of bucks. I've never been pickpocketed because of this.
Feb 8th, 2009, 07:31 PM

When I travel to such places where I have to mind my wallet, I wear cargo pants or a cargo skirt.
Feb 8th, 2009, 08:02 PM

Use the same as you should use whenever and wherever you travel:

A shirt with velcro-closing chest pockets where you keep bills, behind one of the chest pockets is another, zippered, pocket where you keep the ID you need to buy drinks.

Those shirts are sold at tons of places, Ex Officio, Duluthtrading.com, Magellans, Travelsmith, Sierra Trading Post, Columbia, and on and on.

Example: http://tinyurl.com/bng57m

For your credit cards and serious documents (passport, airline tickets, a more serious stash of cash) use one of these handy gizmos (abbreviated URLs):

http://tinyurl.com/3bm8p7

or my favorite (it hangs where the sun don't shine but you can pull it up and out in one swift move, no need to go hiding...):

http://tinyurl.com/2bmma5

or its cousin http://tinyurl.com/2welqs

(use whichever belt loop better matches the color of your belt or pants, or use both...).

Feb 19th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Original Poster

Hey thanks for all the great suggestions. turns out my mother (who loves to go "ding-a-ling shopping", her name for it, at the thrift stores) found me a lanyard wallet at one of the thrift stores that will work out perfectly. At a whopping price of .50 cents no less. its nice and flat so I can put it around my neck and under my clothes. I dont think I should have any problems with that.

Thanks again and have a great day, mscmkr