Dummy wallets, bad or good?

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Doug Weller

Dummy wallets, bad or good?

I was thinking of keeping a dummy wallet in my pocket, but I've heard some people say this is a bad idea (but not why they think that).

Any comments?

Thanks.

Doug

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 11:51 AM
x

why are you bothering to look for trouble? so, the thief grabs the wallet, then finds nothing in it, and comes after you and retalliates because he's angry he's been duped. bad idea.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 12:11 PM
Wayne

Typical pickpockets are not going to do what "x" said; they are not bold enough to "come after you." I think buying a wallet to use as a fake or a dummy is not a good idea because it's a waste of money. If it doesn't get taken, you wasted your money. If a pickpocket does take it, you're out the cost of the wallet anyway.

It would be better just to make sure you know how to secure your money in a place that can't be easily reached. A money belt is one workable idea; another is simply to keep the wallet in an inner pocket that can't be reached, such as the inside chest pocket of a sport coat. Some people, including myself, believe in buying trousers that have velcro pocket flap closures. The so-called "cargo pants" are usually built this way, and they have extra pockets too. They are pretty hard for a pickpocket to get into. Some of them, for extra measure, have a button closure as well. I like the pants with the large pockets on the outside of the thigh, with velcro closures.

Now if you aren't satisfied with all that, you can do what my friend did. He didn't like the idea of a money belt, so he put his wallet into a deep pocket (happened to be a front pants pocket) and secured it with a large safety pin. If you do it properly, it doesn't show, and it is totally secure. Only problem is that it takes a bit of doing whenever you decide to spend your money.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 12:20 PM
Gerry K

I've used dummy wallets in the past and plan to do so again next month upon my return to Europe. (The thought of a pickpocket retaliating is preposterous. They strike and move off quickly.) Fortunately, I live in a state where much of the world's leather goods are made, so I can often get wallet seconds for a dollar, and occasionally for free. For others, I would suggest they save their throw-away wallets for just such a purpose.

Gerry K

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 12:20 PM
Inspector

Just put $5 - $10 in the dummy wallet so if the thief is dumb enough to stand around and check the wallet, he'll see that some money is in there.

Most thieves make the pick and move away quickly.

Those people who keep saying they are very aware of their surroundings won't even know their wallet is gone for a few minutes because thay almost always strike during some commotion that takes your attention away.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 12:23 PM
jan

Has anyone stayed at the Torre di Bellosguardo of the Villa La Massa?Did you like it & was it difficult to get into town????

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Here's An

Put a rubber band or two around your wallet. It makes it very difficult to pick without you feeling it.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 01:47 PM
Marc David Miller

Sometimes if I am going out at night in Eastern Europe I will have an extra wallet with $10-40 and an old credit card in it in case of robbery--something that travellers to high-crime countries have told me to do. Luckily I have never had occasion to use it.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 03:42 PM
nintopia77

The idea of a dummy wallet makes no sense to me. Wayne is on the right track about the button pants and shorts. However, bewere! Some of the places (esp. Florence and Venice) have pickpocets that are so good it does not matter if you have a two ton safe on you holding your wallet-if they want it, they'll get it. A friend had his wallet buttoned and zipped up in a pocket and all it took a quice swipe of the pants w/a razor blad and presto! No more wallet-just a small slit in your pants that you don't even realize is there until well after their gone.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 06:04 PM
Petra

I've carried a dummy wallet in parts of Latin America (large cities), and met/travelled with many others who did the same. I don't think it's necessary in W. Europe, but I also don't see much danger associated with doing so, as long as we're talking about a case where someone steals your wallet, and intends to do so without your noticing. (If someone holds you up at gun- or knifepoint and demands your money, and you actually HAND them your fake wallet, then that's an entirely different story!)

The point some people seem to be missing is that carrying the wallet is in addition to taking all the normal safety precautions (as Wayne described). Use an old wallet and stick anything in it - a few notes in the local currency, but also an expired credit card or two, an old phone card, an old/expired bus or train pass - anything that looks at a glance like a credit/bank card and adds bulk is good. No one is going to stop and check out the haul right in front of you, and even if they do figure out a few minutes later that your stuff is worthless, they're not going to come after you. Most robberies take place in a crowded place, they're not going to be able to find you even if they wanted to.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 06:15 PM
xxx

The theory, it seems, would be this: since the pickpocket notices a wallet (which is a "dummy" wallet) in a person's pocket, they won't assume that the person is keeping money and credit cards elsewhere on their person, like in a concealed money belt, and try for that.

But, since a pickpocket is highly unlikely to actually get any money and credit cards in a concealed money belt, the theory, to me, makes little sense. I do not see the point in carrying a "dummy" wallet.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Lucy

I also don't get the point of it. If you were trying to protect yourself against being mugged or held up I can see why it would help to have a wallet to hand over...but for pickpocketing, as long as you have your 'real' wallet hidden away somewhere inaccessible to thieves what it the point?

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 07:17 PM
Christina

I don't understand the point of this either, why go to the trouble of tricking up something you carry to encourage pickpockets? What's the point of carrying around something you don't mind someone stealing? I try to carry around as little as possible to begin with since things get heavy when carrying them around all day. I sort of understand the idea if you think you are going to be physically held up and detained at gunpoint or someway that you want something to hand over, but a dummy wallet for pickpockets seems pointless.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 02:32 AM
Apollo

I use a dummy wallet with about £20 and an old credit card in it at all times that I'm on holiday. Fortunately it has only seen action once... when I was mugged in New Orleans.
When a rather unpleasant guy threatens you with a knife it is comforting to be able to hand something over. He was on the back of a motorbike and away before he checked the contents and I had all my dolloars and credit cards etc safe and well in my moneybelt.

I agree a dummy is not going to deter pickpockets it's just going to get lifted. However if you're the victim of more serious crime I believe it can be the difference between a ruined evening and a ruined holiday.

Apollo

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 02:44 AM
Burt

Try carrying a moneybelt in Italy when the temperature is in the 90's. It's totally uncomfortable and makes you sweat like a hog. A dummy wallet works great for me. Besides, it's a measure of revenge for the SOB having the nerve to reach into my pants without my asking him to.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 05:18 AM
frank

I've had a leather tobacco pouch taken from my pocket (without my noticing) so it probably does distract the thief.
The one time I was mugged I managed to give them a small amount while having a large amount elsewhere on my person.
I think moneybelts are a very bad idea.As soon as a thief realises that you have one he knows you are a good target.They find out by either seeing you use it or by leaning against you.
My partner's grandad had his moneybelt physically torn from under his shirt in Ronda by 2 thugs.From the second they spotted it he was a target. Not pleasant.
I think dummy wallets are a good idea.
The pickpocket or mugger has but one chance at your cash - this deception blows that chance.
Recently I was targetted in a bus station in Lisbon.Even though I could see the thieves hanging around they still managed to open all the zips on my shoulder bag in the crush to board the bus.Of course the money was elsewhere, but this little bag must have looked like Eldorado to them.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 07:03 AM
Bert

Go to Sierra.com or any other number of places and you can find clothing specifically designed FOR TRAVEL. All kinds of clever stuff: A couple of years ago I bought a very smart sports jacket with a deep inside pocket. It zips closed PLUS has a button and flap. Of course nothing is impossible, but in reality I worry very little about losing my wallet. On a crowded train/tube I spiple cross my arms. There are also trousers with like configurations.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 07:24 AM
Tony

When I went to Italy in early June I purchased several pairs of Dockers Mobile pants. They have several hidden zippered pockets in them; two lower on either leg and one in the right inside front pocket. They come in several colors. They are originally designed for gadget freaks, PDA's cell phone, etc. I also used a leg holster I bought from Magellan's. I loved it, very comfortable. Kept my big stash in there as we were staying at small places that didn't have safes available. Not once did I feel uncomfortable in Italy, and we walked everywhere in large crowds.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 07:32 AM
Capo

I can see the sense in having one of these in case one were to get mugged, instead of pickpocketed. Otherwise, I don't.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 08:06 AM
ted

I seems that those who had an actual incident or close calls are more likely to see the merit of this dummy wallet strategy. I have used one in UK and while the pickpocket did not get the dummy wallet, he went after the dummy wallet with just few pounds in it because it looked like that was the main wallet I was carrying.

I use an old wallet for this purpose, destined for garbage can anyway so no so called additional expense that many are mentioning. I also do use the little money in it when I suspect I may be observed, such when buying a bottle of water at a station. So the argument goes, then I would have to reach the real wallet some time in the day so they will eventually find out. But if I can keep such actions to 3 times a day for example, why would I want to show 3 more times where the bulk of the money is kept? I see a merit of exposing the real wallet only 3 times a day over showing them 6 times. To me these are not the same thing.

Those who think it is a waste of money to invest in dummy, and better to invest only on main thing might have forgotten that the dummy invasion at Calais was one of the several factors contributed to the success of the real invasion at Normandy on D-day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -