Walking shoes for NYC

Old May 21st, 2007, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walking shoes for NYC

What do you all recommend for some great walking shoes in New York? I have flat feet and I'm currently suffering from heel pain so I can't take all the cute shoes I'd like to wear. I fear that I will just have to wear my new Asics walking shoes the entire time and look like Joe Tourist. I leave for NYC on 5/23. Thanks!
Old May 21st, 2007, 09:23 AM

Well - I would bring something cuter to wear out to dinner - when you will probably be doing less walking.

And no one will stare at people wearing walking shoes - only adults that insist on wearing giant white clown sneakers when they're not actually running or exercising.

I generally wear either flats or comfy wedges or fashion athletic shoes (colored mary janes for example) when I'll be out all day. But they're all comfortable - I won;t buy shoes (except evening pumps) that aren;t comfy for walking miles.
Old May 21st, 2007, 09:23 AM

I'm sorry, but you really shouldn't wear a new, untested brand of shoes on a trip, especially if you already have foot pain and other issues. I mean, you leave the day after tomorrow! Would you want to add blisters to your woes? Most tourists in NYC wear comfortable shoes for walking, so the Asics will be fine.

That said, I wear Ugg boots in NYC in the winter, Naot or Merrell mary janes in the summer, reserving the cuter shoes for dinner and theater.
Old May 21st, 2007, 09:24 AM

Sorry - for men - many walking shoes look fine for going out to dinner - as long as they're not gigantic clodhoppers.
Old May 21st, 2007, 09:45 AM

I live in NYC ...i have flat feet and heel pain from plantar faciitis.....The best advice that i can give you is to wear what is most comfortable for your feet.....The most important element is arch support for both problems....i wear Mephistos .....expensive, but worth it. I have found that Naot has very good arch support and is a little dressier ( sandals)
Try some gel soles for the heel pain.....maybe some extra arch support products that you can insert into your shoes..........There is a great deal of walking reqired here and you will be miserable if your feet are hurting.....don't worry what you look like..... just enjoy your trip!!
Old May 21st, 2007, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the advice. NewbE: I already started breaking in my new shoes so I should be good to go. I also have inserts my podiatrist gave me and I just bought some heel cushions specifically for heel pain so let's hope I won't be slowing everyone down. Spsand: I think I will just dress as comfortably as possible and quit worrying about my outfits. I wanted to wear so many stylish outfits (being that I'll be in NYC & all) but I think wearing jeans, a nice causal top and my comfy walking shoes we'll just have to do. I will have a dress and nice shoes for my BIL's graduation at West Point but I think that will be it. No nice dinners for us either because we'll toting around a 4 year old so it will be casual dining at deli's & such. It's my first time in NYC and who knows when I'll get to go back! Thanks again. Let me know if y'all ever need advice on visiting Texas.