footwear

Old May 15th, 2003, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
footwear

It seems like everyone in New York does a lot of walking. As a first time visitor this coming weekend I want to bring the right shoes so my feet don't fall off! Does everybody just wear tennis shoes?
Old May 15th, 2003, 12:02 PM

I wear slides/mules whatever you want to call them.
After a while, your feet get really good at walking and holding on to the shoe at the same time
Old May 15th, 2003, 12:28 PM
al

Wear whatever is most comfortable, no matter what it is.
Old May 15th, 2003, 01:32 PM
E

Always allowing for exceptions, only tourists wear sneakers in Manhattan. Having said that, yes, your feet will fall off from all the walking if you're not wearing comfy shoes, and walking in NYC is too much fun to skip. So--I usually wear really comfy black shoes or boots, or dark, trendy (I hope!) sneakers. Have fun!
Old May 15th, 2003, 02:37 PM

Sorry to bust certain theories, but I walk my dog in the park, and sometimes we run. I wear sneakers/running shoes.
I would not want to try to hurry along with Pup wearing my slides or sandals or city black shoes. More and more people wear Pumas or some kind of trendy sneaker all day, not just tourists.
Old May 15th, 2003, 04:01 PM

I suggest wearing shoes with backs as opposed to mules/slides. I wore my Clarks' slides in NYC in March and thought my feet and legs were going to fall off from all the pain.
Old May 15th, 2003, 05:49 PM

Ktee ..Wear what you wear at home when you know that you will be on your feet all day, ie: shopping. I usually wear (in the day time), Clark's thick soled sandals, the one with the three straps across my foot and a strap in the back. I think that they are called Sunburst or something similiar. I have about six pairs in various colors, two pairs in black, and wear them almost daily, even at home. At first my husband hated them, calling them'old ladies' shoes. Then he realized that I stopped complaining about sore feet when we traveled, and he no longer dislikes them. I have worn them in Paris, London, New York, etc... and I have never been stopped by the Shoe Police.

If tennies or running shoes, black or white, are comfortable for you, and they have a good sole and arch, wear them in NY too.

No one will notice or be impressed by your footwear, except you.

I envy you Scarlett, I love sliders, mules and clogs, but I walk right out of them.

Old May 15th, 2003, 06:21 PM

LOL, nina, I have a permanent cramp in my right foot from walking and holding on to that damn slide!
But they look sooo good
Old May 15th, 2003, 06:38 PM

I agree with Nina. Wear what you normally would at home. After working in retail for three years and in the medical field for another three I have learned that comfortable shoes are a must. I like all the new trendy shoes, but I just can't wear them.
I live in my Birkenstocks, Doc Martens, New Balance tennis shoes, and a pair of Trotentorp (Swedish) clogs. I just bought a new pair of Birkenstock sandals for my trip to Texas this summer.
At 26 I should care about dressing trendy, but when in comes to shoes I go for comfort over fashion any day!
Old May 16th, 2003, 05:08 AM
GoTravel

I have a pair of these Prada things that look like a cross between tennis shoes and bowling shoes. Ugly as sin but the most comfortable walking shoes I've ever owned. I keep my good shoes in my bag and change whenever I get where I am going.

Old May 16th, 2003, 08:36 AM
E

OK, in addition to tourists, people actually RUNNING also wear sneakers. I still say that white sneakers will look odd in NYC, although the trendy kind will fit right in.
Old May 16th, 2003, 08:40 AM

I am wearing a new pair of Pumas today, they look like track shoes, they are so ugly to me! They are soo comfortable and I can keep up with the Pup but I would never wear them to look stylish
Old May 16th, 2003, 08:41 AM

*ps*
they are black, of course~
Old May 16th, 2003, 09:01 AM

I wear my red Pumas on weekends...they look cool and are soooooo comfortable. Trendy sneakers are the way to go.
Old May 16th, 2003, 09:02 AM

I wear flip flops as often as I can
Old May 16th, 2003, 09:13 AM
OliveOyl

GoTravel...sniff...you burst my bubble. I just bought my first pair of Pradas and I thought *they* were my good shoes...(slinking off into the corner now to lick my wounds). Geez, always one step behind!

Old May 16th, 2003, 09:18 AM

suzanne,
are they the ones with the velcro that sort of wraps across the foot? I feel so geriatric in them
I have to keep telling myself, I am cool, I am cool, LOL~
Old May 16th, 2003, 09:27 AM

I live in NYC and I see people wearing sneakers all the time (that don't appear to be tourists). There are so many 'stylish' sneakers out there that look good. I'm not a big sneaker wearer, but do wear them occasionally. I find Dansko Professional clogs very comfortable for lots of walking. I also like to wear any kind of comfortable sandal as soon as the weather warms up.
Old May 16th, 2003, 09:37 AM

Yes, MFNC, but will the weather EVER warm up ?(
Old May 16th, 2003, 10:34 AM
E

I once tried on a pair of shoes for a laugh because when I saw them in the window of the shop, I thought they were the ugliest shoes I'd ever seen. However: the laugh was on me, because they were sooo amazingly comfy, I ended up buying them! I still think they're ugly, but I still wear them; they're these brown, handmade, crunchy-granola type things. NOT for NYC! But I love all the new black, velcro, Lotte-Lenya-in-James-Bond-movie shoes that are out now--comfy and hip, and with the hight ech materials, practical, too! (A shoe thread, I've died and gone to heaven!)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -