Shoes/Celebs

Old Apr 16th, 2003, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shoes/Celebs

I have heard Tennis Shoes/No Tennis Shoes. Sandals/No Sandals when walking in NYC. I am just wondering (besides comfortable), what type of shoes are appropriate in June?

On a side note, is it common to see celebrities out and about? I am NOT a stalker!! LOL! Just wondering if I should be looking!
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 12:00 PM

Manhattan is not like Beverly Hills, with a high concentration of celebrities nor a street like Rodeo Drive where they can reliably be spotted. Unless you'rein a very fancy restaurant or other known celeb haunt, don't bother.

People in NYC actually do wear tennis shoes and sandals. Wear whatever is the most comfortable for you -- you'll do a LOT of walking. I avoid sandals because as in any city your feet will get really dirty (and not with nice country dirt).
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 12:11 PM
GoTravel

Ditto the no sandals for the same reason but that doesn't mean other people don't wear them. I also don't wear sneakers/tennis shoes.

As far as celebs go, I think they are harder to spot in Manhattan. Usually when I see one on the street, I first think I recognize someone I know then realize it is someone famous.

Old Apr 16th, 2003, 12:14 PM

Celeb spotting in NYC can happen anywhere at any time. The celebrities live here, so you might spot someone in the most mundane place. Sarah Jessica Parker buying shampoo at the drug store; Woody Harrelson sampling olives at the deli; Kevin Kline at the theater; Ted Danson on line at Kmart--My friends and I have had these actual sightings. That said, there's no special place to look, but you might spot someone in the most surprising location.

I never wear open-toed sandals--too dusty for me, but many people do. Comfortable shoes are a must for walking on hard pavement.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 12:17 PM

I have lived and worked in NYC for ~8 years now and I have yet to see a Celeb, I guess I am not looking.

As far as shoes, I wear 'em all...sandals, flip flops and sneakers. Go with whatever you are most comfortable with because as other posters have stated, you will do a lot of walking!
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 01:19 PM
JVS

As a NYer- here is my advice:
Shoes: I keep away from sandals and tennis shoes (unless they are very high fashion Nike types with the split toe or athletic Prada or Hogan worn with dark non-denim pants)A nice comfortable mule might meet your needs. If you are doing a lot of walking (which I am sure you probebly will) always have a spare pair on you to change into- you'll need it)
Re celebs. I saw more celebs as a visitor before I moved to NY. They are hard to spot because you are bombarded with so MANY faces on the street, its hard to register them all.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 04:42 PM

keep your cute shoes/sandals for evening. while your touring, you'll be thankful your shoes are comfortable.

i have seen a number of people from law & order walking around. al roker. more so people you just know are in new york. they are doing normal things, like walking the dog, hailing a cab. not where you'd expect to see them, like outside prada.
have a nice trip. june is a nice time of year to visit. the weather should be pleasant.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 07:50 PM

I vote for sneakers for doing touristy fun things. As a native New Yorker, sneakers have always been a staple.

As far as celeb spotting, it is really tied to how observant you are. I see famous people all the time. Practically every time I walk around the city. But I observe things for a living, so I notice lots of stuff the average person doesn't see (actually, I'm just a busybody). My partner (also a Native New Yorker) notices nothing. She once almost knocked over Barbara Striesand coming out of Elizabeth Arden. She was about to start off on a rant "Watch out, you stupid..." - "Honey, look that's Barbara Striesand" - "really? are you sure". I also see alot of soap stars out and about, so if you are into your stories, you'll have fun. As far as Law and Order goes, just happen by the low West 20's around 9th and 10th ave they're always filming here. Taking up all my good parking.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 09:52 PM
jor

get a life.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 10:47 PM

My last trip to NYC I spotted Nathan Lane walking down the street on the Upper West Side, Michael Keaton in Soho buying pizza at 4am, and Andrew Shue shopping on 5th Ave. All in one weekend! You see them when you're not looking for them. Have fun.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 12:07 AM

Tennis shoes/running shoes ... when people ask this question on European boards, especially France, the usual response is 'DON'T, everyone will know that you are an American No fear of that in NY. Seriously, wear what is most comfortable. In all of my travels I have never been stopped by the shoe police.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 03:44 AM

Hi:
I don't wear sandals for various reasons....dirt, what happens if you get caught in the rain? and and cause people have been known to step on a toe or two especially while riding buses and subways.
That said, lots of folks in NYC wear sneakers, tennis shoes, trainers etc (and that includes me!)
Enjoy your visit!
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 04:26 AM

methinks, my husband and i are the same way. he notices everyone (has an incredible memory for faces and is very aware of pop culture). i wouldn't notice tom cruise if he asked me for directions. we've seen kate hudson, sarah jessica parker, matthew broderick, jennifer lopez, ll cool j, the law and order folks, etc. celebs are everywhere in nyc...just keep your eyes open.

as for shoes, you will feel more comfortable in tennis shoes during the day. if you go out for a nice dinner or something, sandals are certainly appropriate. you can also wear them during the day, but beware the straps. you will quickly discover that those favorite sandals you've been wearing for years are the most uncomfortable things you've ever put on your feet. moving to new york changed my shoe collection considerably.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 04:38 AM

I live just outside NYC and spend lots of time there. have only been aware of spotting celebs three times - stood next to Graham Nash of CSN at a Knitting Factory (show was an obscure British group - he was by himself and my friend was convinced it was him, which was verified later. On another occasion I spotted Cuba Gooding Jr. gobbling down pizza slices with his buddies at a walk up pizza spot called Joe's by 7th Ave South and Bleecker. More recently I almost bumped into director/actor Rick Moranis on the sidewalk when I was meeting a friend on the upper West side. That encounter made me chuckle - he was dressed in exactly the manner that some of the fashion cops insist will truly mark you as a tourist: tennis shoes, khaki's, poplin style jacket and a baseball cap. He appeared to dread the possibility that I'd try to start a conversation when the puzzled look on my face turned to one of recognition. I simply nodded hello and kept walking.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 04:50 AM
Cassandra

For some inexplicable reason, the fashion for women now seems to be backless shoes -- clogs, sandals, or crypto-loafers, crypto-tennis shoes, etc. These might seem to be a reasonable alternative to heavier shoes when it's hot in NY and those pavements can get searing. But I always seem to get a stone in those backless shoes, and I wonder how often they go sailing off people's feet when they're trying to move in a hurry (say, down subway stairs).

I saw Janeane Garogalo walking her dogs but I don't know if she wore clogs.

Old Apr 17th, 2003, 05:05 AM
Cassandra

Garofalo

Old Apr 17th, 2003, 09:22 AM

I'm a little surprised at the aversion to sandals here. I wear sandals and flip-flops all summer long. I hate having hot sweaty feet! Yes, your feet get dirty, but that's why you have a bathtub. I wouldn't wear sandals if I were planning to walk more than a couple miles...in that case, I'd wear my red Pumas instead. If you don't want to look like a tourist, don't wear those plain white shapeless sneakers (a dead giveaway)...go for something funkier.

Celebrities are everywhere. I've seen Ivana Trump at Le Cirque 2000, sat next to Billie Jean King at EJ's Luncheonette, saw Dustin Hoffman buying a pizza on the Upper West, walked into a sign while checking out Derek Jeter at a movie theater (he laughed at me), and met the NY Rangers at a bar on the Upper West. Elaine's (bar/restaurant)on the Upper East side is a known celebrity hangout...you might want to check it out.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the tips! Can't wait for June!!
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 11:34 AM
AC

Kim:
I very rarely wear sandals and the only reason is my work enviroment calls for a closed toe shoe.

I ran in to Tony Bennett at the Brooklyn Diner on 57 St. Wonderful man. He was very gracious when recognized and shook hands with everyone.
Chad Everett (be still my heart) on 5th and 57....I see a trend.
What amazes me is that many times folks walk past me and I'll say "wasn't that ???)
Have a great time!
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 12:34 PM

Shoes -- what you want is thick rubber soles. Downtown (Village Soho etc., not Wall St), people wear open-toed shoes and sandals everyplace. I live here. I can't imagein wearing anything but shoes with thick rubber soles to do any walking at all. Research "Shoes" on this & Europe board for brands etc. There are stylish shoes that feel as good as sneakers.

Celebrities: I always see somebody in an expensive Japanese restaurant called Seryna: Yoko Ono & family one time, Baryshnikov one time.

Most recent sighting (I don't recognize very many celebs) -- Matt Damon in the undistinguished diner across from my office, with a bunch of guys his age -- you would take the crew for NYU kids.

You may see rich women you recognize shopping in Barney's.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -