Walking from Brooklyn Bridge to Dumbo

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walking from Brooklyn Bridge to Dumbo

I'm heading to New York City in a couple weeks and would like to spend some time in Dumbo. Could someone please give me the most direct or most interesting walking route to Dumbo once we're across the Brooklyn Bridge.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 01:10 PM

DUMBO is practically right below the Brooklyn Bridge. As you come off the bridge on the pedestrian steps, continue walking toward the river. There's DUMBO.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks MikeT - right or left (or is there a choice) to head towards Grimaldi's and ABC Carpet?
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 01:27 PM

DUMBO = District Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 01:32 PM

Left. Once you get off the bridge, look for the river and walk downhill.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks mingtsainy - I was aware of that - I guess I was a bit confused because the time I did walk the bridge we tried to follow a Lonely Planet walking tour through the streets - not down the pedestrian steps and I couldn't picture which way we would go to most directly find the waterfront. I'm not in the city often so don't have a good visual sense of the area.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again MikeT.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 02:01 PM

Save room for some dessert at the ice cream place by the scenic-Manhattan-view area by the water about 100+ yards from Grimaldi's.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 02:22 PM

janette - FYI - perhaps you don't know that you can pull up your original post (and any answers to it) by clicking on your name at the top of the screen. Once you pull it up, you can also send it to the top (by posting a reply with ttt in the box), so that others see it and answer it. That way you wouldn't have posted this question 3 times.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 02:27 PM
GoTravel

What the is under there? I ran the Brooklyn Bridge a couple of weeks ago training for another race and don't remember the area under the bridge being a big deal. I understand the acronym but other than the South Street Seaport, I don't remember a whole lot.

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks kamahinaohoku - I'm always confused by the "forums" issue when I do a post - i.e., should I specify New York, General Interest, etc? I wanted the post to show in all US posts but I definately wanted to be sure that anyone checking New York City specifics posts would see it. For example that reinforces my confusion, I just did a search for New York within the United States forum and even though I used the words "New York City" in my post - I don't see it. This always seems to be an issue and I don't know if I'm posting incorrectly or if it just takes some time to filter to all relevant posts.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks kamahinaohoku - I'm always confused by the "forums" issue when I do a post - i.e., should I specify New York, General Interest, etc within the US Forum? I wanted this "Dumbo" post to show in all US posts but I definately wanted to be sure that anyone checking New York City specific posts would see it. This example just reinforces my confusion - I just did a search for New York within the United States forum and even though I used the words "New York City" in my post - I don't see it. This always seems to be an issue and I don't know if I'm posting incorrectly or if it just takes some time to filter to all relevant forums. Any advice would be appreciated for future.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Yeesh - sorry for the double reply - more confusion - while I was previewing my reply, it was posted before I accepted it following editing.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 02:54 PM

GoTravel- Dumbo (Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass) is at the other end of the bridge - in Brooklyn.

Janette- I live in Dumbo & can answer all your questions. The most direct way there from the Brooklyn Bridge is to take the stairway down on your left - don't walk all the way to the end of the walkway or you'll end up in Downtown Brooklyn. At the bottom of the stairs turn left. Go under the overpass & you are on one of the most scenic streets in Dumbo - Washington Street. To get to the ABC Home Store, walk down Washington Street and take a right on Front Street. Walk about 3 blocks going under the Manhattan Bridge. Take a left onto Jay Street. After one more block, ABC will be on your left.

Grimaldi's is at the opposite end of Dumbo. Take Front Street back in the other direction, about 5 or 6 blocks, passing under both bridges. It ends at Old Fulton Street. Take a right, Grimaldis is on the right.

Water Street also connects into Old Fulton and runs parallel to Front St, one block closer to the water. This is where all the cool Civil war era warehouses are...definitely worth a look. Between the warehouses is the entrance to one of the greatest parks in the city - unforgettable views. Jacques Torres' Chocolate Shop is on Water Street too - not to be missed if you are a chocoholic. There's also excellent homemade ice cream at the ferry landing (end of Old Fulton St).
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Suzanne - THANK YOU! Fabulous directions and great advice - after the pizza we'll be sure to save room for the ice cream and chocolate - good thing we'll be walking.
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 05:10 PM
GoTravel

Geez am I ever the idiot! Thank you Suzanne! I was wondering what all the fuss was over Dumbo when it is on the other side of the bridge!

:::::::::::macking forehead::::::::::::