Manhattan Bridge query for Suzanne

May 16th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Manhattan Bridge query for Suzanne

Dear Suzanne, we'd like to walk the Manhattan Bridge from Brooklyn to Chinatown - I have your directions from Grimaldi's to the bridge, but I'd appreciate directions from a nearby subway stop to the bridge stairs - thanks very much in advance!
May 16th, 2005, 09:36 AM

Hi Roger!
The best subway to take is the F train - the line that generally runs down 6th Ave in Manhattan. Take it to York Street. Take a left as you exit the station, onto Jay Street. Within a block you'll be underneath the Manhattan Bridge. Walk one block, staying to the right side of the bridge (the left side is for bikes) and after crossing a wide street you'll see the stairs leading up.
May 16th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!! We'll be there over Memorial Day - will post a report.
Jun 2nd, 2005, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, Suzanne - we got waylaid in Chinatown [Chinese Ice Cream Factory - wow!] and didn't make it across the bridge - next year for sure!
Jun 3rd, 2005, 04:19 AM
Rob

Is there a pedestrian walkway on the Manhattan Bridge? I know there is one on the Brooklyn Bridge.
Jun 3rd, 2005, 04:40 AM
GoTravel

That is what I was wondering Rob? Is there a walkway?

Jun 3rd, 2005, 05:03 AM
Rob

I never heard or read of anyone walking across the Manhattan Bridge. My recollection is that some Brooklyn bound trains use the bridge so I doubt there is a walkway.
Jun 3rd, 2005, 09:30 AM

There most certainly IS a walkway (on the SW side) and a bikeway (on the NE side). The walkway opened 3-4 years ago. The bikeway opened 1-2 years ago.

The Williamsburg Bridge (one more up the river) also has a walkway & bikeway. So does the GW Bridge. I've been over them all.
Jun 5th, 2005, 07:01 PM

Thanks to Suzanne's directions, we walked the Manhattan Bridge when we were there in April, following a trip to the Brooklyn Gardens and lunch at Grimaldi's. Of course, I didn't have sense enough to actually arrive in NYC w/ the very specific and complete instructions that she provided, so we had to wing it (and missed J. Torres, damn it...). But it was fun! I really liked the lack of people and slightly ndifferent perspective from the Brooklyn Bridge.

In fact, we met the nicest man: we took the subway from the Brooklyn Gardens to a stop near Grimaldi's, and came up on the street, maps in hand, trying to get oriented. Somehow, he was able to determine that we were tourists (how?!?!), asked where we were going, gave explicit directions, and wished us a great pizza...then turned to another person who looked as equally confused as we were and gave him directions!