Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Visiting Hershey - staying in Harrisburg?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2002, 04:45 AM
bennie

If we want to visit Hershey, is staying in Harrisburg close? I've read here that there may be traffic concerns getting to the amusement park in the mornings. Considering staying at Residence Inn in Harrisburg (using Marriott reward points for free stay). Am willing to put up with some inconvenience.

Any comments or alternative suggestions for hotels in Marriott family that might be more convenient to attractions?

Old May 3rd, 2002, 04:49 AM
Dana

We stayed at the Fairfield outside of Hershey last Summer. It was only for one night, and after a long day.night at the park and then back out the next morning, I doubt we were in the room much more than 8-9 hours. I think our rate was $65.00 so I didn't burn the Marriott points.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 05:50 AM
rebecca

Harrisburg is about 20 to 30 minutes from Hershey, depending on traffic. Longer during rush hour, but in the early morning, you can get to hershey in 20, (maybe a little quicker)- the traffic on summer mornings doesn't start until you get off the highway on to Hersheypark Drive. Traffic is also bad when the park closes- things move, but very slowly. Nights when there are concerts (dave matthews,etc.) traffic is terrible- so you might want to check that before you go.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 06:08 AM
ingrid

We stayed at the Residence Inn in Hershey (I think that's there official location), and getting to/from the Park was no problem. We really liked the Residence Inn.

Old May 4th, 2002, 02:35 PM
Michele

Hershey is only 15 minutes from Harrisburg. Some suggestions of hotels may be Hampton Inn (Union Depost Rd), Fairfield Inn (off Union Deposit exit). Residence Inn is fine. Only about a 10 minute drive. Easy on/off. I would definately recommend a nearby town vs staying in Hershey. There's hardly an inconvenience and is cheaper.

Old May 6th, 2002, 05:18 AM
bennie

Thanks for the suggestions. Got the Resident's Inn booked.

We're staying for 3 nights - driving down from Boston. Any other suggestions on a place to stop for 2-3 nights along the way?

Old May 22nd, 2002, 11:37 AM
x

How about New York??!!!