NC Outer Banks: restaurants?

Old May 6th, 2002, 11:05 AM
sonia

NC Outer Banks: restaurants?

Reposting with new title:
We're making our first visit to OBX (the Outer Banks of North Carolina) in a couple of weeks, and looking forward to it -- really need a break after working too hard for too long!

We have accommodations all set in Duck -- any info about good places to eat? Will we find authentic 'cue there? What other possibilities?

Thanks for any help.

Old May 6th, 2002, 01:50 PM
carolyn

I haven't been to Duck in years, but there used to be a really nice restaurant called the Blue Point, reservations recommended.

As for the Outer Banks, the Rundown Cafe in Southern Shores, just south of Duck is fantastic... casual... inexpensive...carribean style food; it's the same owners as Tortuga's Lie in Nags Head MP 10-one of my all time favorites. They still may be having sushi night on Wednesdays, they stop in the summer.

For authentic BBQ, try Pigman's BBQ in Kill Devil Hills, traditional NC style.

Old May 6th, 2002, 04:22 PM
George

I'm often guilty of overlooking the obvious. But, for some reason, this time, I checked the Fodor's restaurant postings. Found 59 listings for coastal NC. Some don't have reviews, some do. Worth checking, anyway.

You might also try chowhound.com . Do a search on, I believe, the "south" BB.

I've got a vested interest in the subject, as well. We're going down, in September, for our first Outer Banks visit. Southern end of Nags Head, though. I'll be dumping reams of information to the printer about Labor Day. Then ignore most of it once we get down there....

Old May 7th, 2002, 09:02 AM
Richard

Sonia,

I recommend Owens Restaurant in Nags Head. It is very nice and the food is very good. Have eaten there more than once and was impressed. Excellent service as well. Very nice decorations and full bar. What more could you want.

They also have a motel. The restaurant has been there quite a while, so it has stood the test of time.

Regarding "authentic 'cue", have you had Eastern North Carolina B-B-Que? It is different and takes getting used to. It is not the tomato based sauce you are probably used to, that is Western North Carolina B-B-Que.

Richard

Old May 7th, 2002, 06:25 PM
maureen

We were in Nags Head last week. Had great soft shells at Webs (not fancy)and a wonderful dinner at Kelly's. Have fun!

Old May 8th, 2002, 09:31 AM
Samantha

Sonia,

If you like German food and beer, venture a little south to Manteo and eat at the Weeping Radish restaraunt. Yummy food, great service, and beer is made on site. Enjoy the Outer Banks!

Old May 8th, 2002, 10:13 AM
ob

Pizaz Pizza is great for a quick eat... Check out Quagmires for fun and drinks.
http://www.quags.com/

list of restaurants
http://www.outerbanks.org/nbeachrest.htm

Old May 9th, 2002, 11:24 AM
sonia

Thanks to all for the information -- this is a great resource. Well, most of the time (barring trolls and other nastiness!)

Old May 9th, 2002, 02:20 PM
ta

WE stayed at the Sanderling in Duck last fall, it was awesome! You must try
Elizabeth's Cafe in Duck.....pricy
but worth every penny! We also ate at
the Blue Point, very good also! Also try some places in Corrolla, we never made it up there but plan to next time.
The food at the Sanderling was excellent also.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 01:16 PM
Katie H

The Weeping Radish now has a restaurant in Kitty Hawk around Mile Post 2. Pigman's is the best BBQ you will find anywhere. The Jolly Roger on the beach road around Mile Post 6.5 is very good - lots of variety - best spinach salad I ever had. For night life, try Frisco's on the bypass in Kitty Hawk on karaoke night. You don't have to sing, just sit and watch everyone else make fool's of themselves because "we'll never see these people again". Have fun.