Reload this Page >

Nice Hotel in Charlotte, North Carolina

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2002, 07:33 AM
Ally Wilkes

I'm looking for the nicest hotel to stay in on vacation at Charlotte, North Carolina in the mid-price range. ($50-$100). I'm trying to get a feel for the city, so perhaps in the downtown area? Also what are some can't miss tourist stops and restaurants? Thanks for your help. I am totally clueless about the Charlotte Area. I will be there in June if that helps!

Old May 20th, 2002, 10:28 AM
chuck

Ally,

try the Morehead Inn--it's not downtown, but it is what Charlotteans call *close in* That is, it is within perhaps a 5 minute drive of downtown. It has been a few years since I stayed there, but you may be able to get it for the top end of your price range.

The Morehead is a bed & breakfast type Inn in a beautiful area of Charlotte--it is close to downtown, but also gives you access to prime neighborhoods like Dilworth and Myers Park. Tree-lined streets, local restaurants and bars, beautiful homes, charm--this is the best Charlotte has to offer in my book.

For more details you need some advice from Arabella, who usually adds great info to threads on Charlotte. Unfortunately she is always defending Charlotte from attacks by those (sometimes including me) who always see the negatives of the city.

Arabella, are you out there?

Old May 20th, 2002, 12:20 PM
Chris

You may not want to stay in the "city" itself -- no housing. It's not like NYC with apartment buildings, etc. All the housing is away from business. Hard to describe, but you'll understand once you start poking around.

As far as calling it a "city", it depends on where you come from. Having moved from the metro NY area, it's a town to me. However people from Gastonia were amazed that we would drive through Charlotte -- day or night.

Tourist stops are few and far between. There's the raceway -- you can take a tour or be driven around the track a couple of times in a race car.

Um, coming up blank on any other tourist things.

One thing Charlotte has plenty of -- restaurants. Try the Cajun Queen (take a sweater -- it can be chilly) and go as early as you can (not sure if they take reservations or not). The joint is jumpin' after 8, and parking is minimal at best. Rock Bottom is good too. There is a fish place (can't remember the name) which was good too.

Chuck and I are somewhat kindred spirits when it comes to how we feel about Charlotte.

One thing though -- traffic is AWFUL. Within one year, 15 minutes were added to my commute -- even when I left the house at 6:45AM.

Old May 20th, 2002, 05:38 PM
Arabella

Ally,

The Morehead Inn would be a great place for you to stay, but it's a little out of your price range. It's in the $150 to $200 range. If you could shorten your trip and stay fewer nights, it would be worth your while. The Morehead Inn is perfectly situated for you.

I never, ever, advise anyone to choose Charlotte as a vacation destination; there's really not enough here of interest for a tourist. I do, as Chuck noted, think Charlotte is a wonderful place to live, however. I've lived in NYC, Dallas, Chicago, Raleigh and other cities, and Charlotte is by far my favorite place to live.

If you still want to come for a vacation, I'll try to come up with some suggestions for you. What are your interests? Do you like historical sites? Museums? Outdoor activities?

Old May 21st, 2002, 02:02 PM
Ally Wilkes

Thank you! I am interested in shopping, nightlife (Jazz Clubs, Dance Clubs), great dining (I would love to try some good Carolina Style Barbecue , and sightseeing. I appreciate your help!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 12:30 PM
Dawkins

For shopping South Park is the polace to be and for dance and comedy clubs Uptown around College street is just the ticket. The Double Door is the best jazz club. All of this is acessable from anywhere downtown to just south of downtown which is where the Moorehead Inn is.