Visit Epcot or not?

Old Feb 27th, 2008, 08:27 AM
kdd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visit Epcot or not?

Hi,

We are headed to Disney World in a few weeks with a 4 yr old. We are expecting peak time crowds during our visit.

So far, I have found only one attraction 'Turtle talk with Crush' that would interest her(not sure if I have missed others). None of us is into thrill rides. Is is worth a visit to Epcot for this one attraction or should we skip it altogether and spend the time in the other parks? or maybe do a park-hop and visit DS and EP in one day? Any thoughts on this?
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 08:36 AM

I think there's a lot to see in Epcot and would not miss it. It's one of my fave parks - however, I'm not 4 yrs old...LOL!

Still, I think there's a lot to do there with young kids. All the countries in the World Showcase have entertainers some of which are directed at kids. As well, they also have craft-type stations for kids.

You'll have to check the height requirement but I think Spaceship Earth and Finding Nemo would be fun for kids too. There's a lot of stuff that isn't "big ticket" that your kid might like (e.g., designated character greets).

I agree that DS can be done in half a day.

Enjoy-la!
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 08:40 AM

When our children were your daughter's age, they were not nearly as excited about Epcot as the other parks. We would save Epcot for late afternoon/evening so we could dine at the World Showcase restaurants (some of our favorites are there). Our last trip, our niece was 4; she did enjoy the character sightings and crafts in the different pavillions along with my daughter (who was 6). All the kids liked to watch Illuminations.
The kids also enjoy the Living Seas pavillion and Innovations.

All that said, I think it partly depends upon how long you are visiting WDW. You could certainly park hop to check it out time-allowing. From DS you can take a boat to the Boardwalk area and then go into Epcot from the back entrance (assuming you are staying onsite and/or don't have a car you will need to move).

No matter what you do, you will not have time to see everything, but you will have a wonderful time!
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 08:46 AM

I love Epcot, but if time is an issue, I'd spend more time in the other parks if I had a 4 year old.

Sure, there are things geared to the young'uns, but the BULK of Epcot is geared towards adults and older children.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 09:00 AM

Does she like art projects ? Different countries ? Or will that be over her head ?

My kids liked going from country to country getting the masks made. However, if she isn't into that, I wouldn't waste the time hunting the stations down, waiting, etc.

Given that there will be peak crowds, I would vote for taking the time off. Crowds are overwhelming and tiring. Little people need a chance to recharge just like big people.

There will be other years,other times... I've always had the opinion that I would rather leave with a smile knowing that maybe I missed something and there is something new to 'grow into' rather than 'see it all, do it all' and meltdown (parents + kids).

having said that, we swear by tourguidemike.com. For a small fee, print out his touring plans for small kids and his advice is spot on.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 10:14 AM

My kids, 5 and 3, really enjoyed Epcot. Spaceship Earth, Nemo ride, Imagination (I think it might be closed for repairs) and the Land all were age appropriate. The ride in Mexico is a little corny but they liked it too, and Norway isn't a thrill ride but a boat and it was a hit as well. My 3 year old was tall enough to ride Soarin and that is a great ride - not a thrill ride. Test Track, if they are tall enough, is a thrill ride only in the sense that it is a car that goes fast - my kids loved it and rode it as much as they could. It doesn't go upside down or do other rollercoaster type stuff. Energy has cool dinosaurs if they are into that. If you do decide to go to Epcot, I found that there was plenty to do with a kid that age, and the size of the park makes it seem less crowded, particularly in the World Showcase. Personally, I liked it better for little kids than DS.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 11:14 AM

We were there this past fall with daughters aged 2 1/2 and 4 1/2. We went because they wanted to meet Mulan (one of the Disney Princesses), who greets visitors in the China Pavilion. We ended up going twice.

Our kids really liked the international pavilions, and I have to say as an adult, it's a nice break from the Magic Kingdom. We didn't try to spend a whole day there, but found it to be a great way to spend a late afternoon/dinner/evening.

Not sure you could count on this, but because Epcot is less of a "destination" for small kids, they actually got to spend quality time with Mulan -- she (and her sidekick Mushu) spent at least 5 minutes of one on one time with our daughters, showing them around the Chinese temple where she hangs out. It was a highlight for them, and a real contrast to the long wait/short meet and greet that you get with most characters.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 03:04 PM

It really depends on how many days you have. I'd plan two days at the Magic Kingdom, one at the Animal Kingdom, and 1 at the Disney Movie Park. If you are there for a few days, certainly EPCOT is worth the time FOR THE ADULTS. We'll sit down with our kids for a decent meal at either the French area, the Canadian area, or the Mexican temple.

They have something called KidCot which is a mask and stamps at each country. At each place they also get a small thing to hang on it and can decorate the mask.

If you are getting a Park Hopper, it might be worth a morning at EPCOT and go later in the day to the Magic Kingdom.

BTW, at 4, your child may be tall enough for TestTrack. My two kids both went on the first time around that age. I don't think the ride is that intense, but we each have our own definition.

Old Feb 27th, 2008, 03:41 PM

I think EPCOT is by far the most interesting of the parks. But I'm not 4 years old. EPCOT is much better for tweens and up.

With a 4 year old I would stick with Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom and parts of Sea World - with lots of time for rests and pool in between.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 06:14 AM

Have you seen this article on Epcot with small kids?
http://www.buildabettermousetrip.com...-children.html

I know my children enjoyed Epcot - my youngest was six when we visited. She loved Spaceship Earth - which really surprised me. The ride in the Mexico pavilion and Journey into Imagination with Figment where other favorites.