Opinion - Legoland, CA Adventure or Catalina w/kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are spending 4.5 days in So CA at the end of March. We know we are spending one day at Disneyland and one day at Sea World. What do you recommend for the other days - my husband thinks one day at Catalina Island and one day at Legoland.

In your opinion is Legoland better than California Adventure? Is there anything for a 9 and 7 year old (who can't swim) on Catalina Island? Any other recommendations?

Any ideas are appreciated!
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:06 PM

Hi mmculp, just my personal opinion but I don't think young ones would get to enthused about Catalina Island.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 10:18 PM

There's a lot more activities for kids at Legoland than on Catalina. Legoland is geared specifically to kids.

However, I'd google both of them and let your kids decide based upon the information that you find.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 03:26 AM

Your kids might be a little old for Legoland, if it is anything like the one in UK, and if they like "thrill" rides.

Calif Adventure would be more fun, in my opinion. Plus, the ticket pricing might be better with a Disney combo purchase. (Don't forget to check on a discount if you have AAA).

Not to make it more confusing, but you'll probably want to include some movie-related activity. Warner Brothers has a great tour, or consider Universal if they want more amusement park rides.

Have fun!
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 04:22 AM

Do your kids like legos? If yes, then go to Legoland. If not, then I sugest California Adventure. My 7 and 9 year old boys loved Legoland last summer, but they love legos.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 05:55 AM

Your kids might love Legoland; mine do. But I find it very off-putting and boring. I don't mind Disney and we actually love California Adventure. (Our local grocery, Pavillions, is doing a promotion now where you get tickets to Disney and CA for the price of one, and I think they can be used on different days.) But Legoland for some reason just makes my skin crawl, and my husband refuses to go back. I think it's the bright-plastic aesthetic or the dumb rides for the high price The best thing about the place are the large models of Lego buildings and the gift store, where I once found lego salt and pepper shakers. I always have a very cooped-up feeling there. However, kids typically adore it and parents typically hate it. Don't know about Catalina, but if you like boat rides, that might be worth the trip no matter what you did on the island.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 06:51 AM
ltt

what about a day along a beach. you could go whale watching for several hours if you like boat rides and then spend a few hours hanging around a fun beach. get out of the amusement parks for one day at least.
i think your kids may be too old for lego land unless they love legos. catalina would be a nice day if they enjoy bike riding once your there. may be pretty chilly in march though.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 07:00 AM

Very little to do on Catalina, especially in winter, and likely rough water taking the boat over. If you're doing Sea World, consider the San Diego zoo, one of the world's best, and the Wild Animal Park outside of S.D. Legoland is interesting, but limited.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 08:03 AM

Regarding Legoland vs. California Adventure. Hmmm. How about Disneyland itself? I'm suggesting this since I've found Legoland to be really good for the smaller kids - your 7 year old is a good age, the 9 year old might be too old (unless into Legos). California Adventure has some terrific rides that they'll be able to go on - particularly Soaring over California. But the river ride might be too cold and depending on their heights, they might be too small for some of the other rides. The kids section in California Adventure is IMO for smaller kids - like the 7 year old again.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 08:13 AM

I took my 7 year old to Legoland last year. He's very into Lego's and he's begged to include Legoland again when we go back to San Diego in March. Personally, I could do without it but I'll do it one more time since he's so insistent. I feel like 8 years old is getting pretty close to being too old for Legoland. I agree that it's not the greatest place for adults. How many times can you say "Wow, it's amazing what they can build with Legos", but I'll give them this ... the park is pretty, very clean, the food was decent (they have some non-fried items), it was easy to get to and parking was a snap. But unless your kids are Lego freaks, this park may not be for them.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 08:21 AM
lvk

You've gotten some good suggestions here. I think 2 out of 4.5 days at theme parks will be plenty. Keep in mind that this is Spring Break time for many, and you will be waiting in long lines at Disneyland and Sea World.

I agree that Legoland would only be enjoyable if your kids are really into Legos. My son loved it, but my daughter was pretty bored.

I also agree that Catalina wouldn't be very enjoyable at the end of March. I think the whale watching and beach bike ride ideas are great. The water will be too cold for swimming, but you can enjoy the beaches in many other ways. The weather along the coast can be pretty iffy at the end of March (especially this year!).

Have you thought about the desert? You're more likely to get nicer weather there.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 08:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Your kids should love the San Diego Zoo. If they get bored, there are many museums in Balboa Park (where the Zoo is located) and they would probably enjoy the Reuben H. Fleet Science Museum, Natural History Museum and others.

dreaming, the OP said they are going to Disneyland.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 10:54 PM

I think 3 theme parks would be too many in one trip. Stick to Disneyland and California Adventures because they are right next to each other and we like them both...You can use fastpasses in both Disneyland and California ADventures to save time waiting in line; if you don't know how just ask an attendant. Also, California Adventures is less crowded than other theme parks which is refreshing.

For your third choice with kids in March I'd recommend the San Diego Zoo if it's sunny, if not the Reuben H. Fleet Science Museum in Balboa Park has lots of hands-on experiences, plus there's the space theatre right next to the Science Museum. Balboa Park is right next to the zoo.

Catalina would be boring for kids.

Old Feb 25th, 2005, 08:57 AM
lvk

If you do decide on Legoland, it might be worth your while to check this out nearby:

http://visit.theflowerfields.com/

Old Feb 25th, 2005, 09:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
9 and 7 are the perfect ages for Legoland. And it's something they won't enjoy if you visit California again in 5 or 10 years.

Also, the San Diego Wild Animal Park is a great experience.