Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need to fine tune tip to Arizona?? Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay guys! We are leaving for Phoenix March 31st. I have that set and returning on April 11th. March 31st we will stay in Tempe(for quick business meeeting for my husband) Car rental?--thinking of giving Priceline a try. On April 3rd we have one night in cabin at Bright Angel (all I could get) I know I want to spend a couple of nights in or around Sedona. I was thinking of a couple of days in Wickenburg for golfand maybe a couple of days at the end near Scottsdale -again for golf for the hubbie. (I do not play) I would like to check out Jerome etc. Since we have only one night in GC I would like to get there on Saturday (April 2nd) and stay in Tuscayan so we will have more time at the Canyon. How should I fill up Friday and part of Saturday enroute to GC? I would love to hear how others would arrange or rearrange their time given I have only one night booked thusfar. I have been reading and rereading posts here and am at that confused portion of planning our trip. Help please!
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Update--now have two nights at the Bright Angel Lodge!!(Te DO get cancellations!) Saturday the 2nd and Sunday the third of April-so that will change whatever itinerary you guys might be suggesting. H
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 01:22 PM

Last Spring, me & my husband went to Arizona for 6 days. We flew in to Phoenix. Checked for the best rates on a vehicle and went with Dollar. Did it all beforehand on the internet and chose 4WD. We had reservations about it because the deal was sooo good. Much to our surprise, the deal turned out to be fantastic! We picked out a brand new Cherokee off the lot and was out of there in about 10 minutes. We drove it over 1000 miles. Stayed in Sedona at the Radisson (another great deal and very nice facilities) and drove everywhere including Grand Canyon. I bought a Frommer's Arizona book and kept it with us at all times. It was one of our best trips.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 01:43 PM

We stayed at the Orchard Inn in Sedona for two nights last June and had gorgeous views from our room. It is in the middle of town, but we did not think it was crowded at all. The Inn looks just like another motel from the front, but oh, the views from the back; it is super clean and the people there are extremely nice. It is above Oak Creek. We walked down and then up the creek. Very nice.

Be sure to take a Pink Jeep Tour. We took the 4 p.m. one and it was fantastic. They will pick you up at your hotel--at least they did at the Orchard Inn. Definitely, one of the highlights of our trip.

Send me your email address and I'll send you our pictures of the jeep tour and sedona.

We also spent two nights at the Phoenician in Scottsdale. Another winner. Wonderful service--the staff could not do enough for us and always with a smile.

We stayed in Kachina Lodge at the GC; again wonderful views. We had a delicious meal at El Tovar. BE sure to get up for the sunrise.

Lynda
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

I was looking forward to meal or two at the El Tovar but it is closed until mid April. Just saw on Food Network Rachel Ray at Grand Canyon. She ate at El Tovar for breakfast and then went to Tuscayan for a snack and dinner and Indian Show.(Is it worth it to leave the park to eat or should I pack a cooleer etc?? We do have a great location with a fireplace inside the park. Also another question--what will parking be like at the Bright Angel Lodge? ) RAchel Ray also raved about a helicopter trip at GC which I have not heard about on this board--what do you guys think about that?? Thanks for the tips and info so far. Keep them coming! H
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 03:54 PM
mwoysh

We went to Arizona last spring break. We stayed at Yavapi Lodge. We took a wonderful sunset bus tour offered through the park service. It was fantastic! We stayed in Flagstaff at the Little America Hotel.Flagstaff was a really neat place to see. We visited Lowell Observatory there. We also stayed at the Hilton in Sedona. Sedona is such a beautiful and interesting place. In Scottsdale, we stayed at Doubletree La Posada. The Desert Botanical Gardens in Phoenix was really neat and a great experience.

Have fun! It was one of my family's favorite trips!

Old Feb 25th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Any and all suggestions w elcome here. H