Vermont Inn- Present for Parents

Mar 31st, 2002, 10:53 AM
Jennifer

Vermont Inn- Present for Parents

We would like to rent a room at an elegant Vermont Inn for my parents as a thank-you for all the work they have done for our upcoming wedding. Any suggestions? We would like someplace that is elegant that is close to a nice Vermont town. I've only been to Vermont once, so I would love any suggestions! Thank you!

Mar 31st, 2002, 01:02 PM
rey

there's a place outside of woodstock (really nice town) It's quite elegant. I think it's called twin acres or twin farms. Probably about $500 a night with meals.

Mar 31st, 2002, 01:30 PM
elle

The Equinox in Manchester is a lovely, old "grand hotel" with a spa and rocking chairs on the front porch.
Really good food, too.

Also, you might try the Four Columns Inn in Newfane, which is one of those picture-perfect Vermont towns and also has fabulous food.

I have also heard good things about the Windham (in Windham) but have never been there myself.

Oh--and I almost forgot one of my favorites--The Inn at Saxton's River. Very Victorian, rather than colonial, but we loved it.

Apr 1st, 2002, 06:11 AM
Jennifer

Thank you both for your responses. The inns all look great.

Apr 7th, 2002, 09:30 PM
dawn

Try either Keadron Valley Inn in south woodstock (Woodstock is THE quinessential NE town) or the rabbit hill inn. Have stayed at both numerous times and both are highly recommended. What a sweet daughter you are!!!

Apr 8th, 2002, 03:08 AM
Tom

The Inn At Ormsby Hill is a wonderful inn...about 5 miles out of Manchester.
This will run about $300 a night. Try the Tower or Taft room.

Apr 8th, 2002, 06:23 AM
bennie

Here's another recommendation for the Equinox. Lovely dining room with quartet playing when we stayed. Lots of older couples dancing. Nice spa, nice golf course. Fly fishing is big as Manchester is the headquarters of Orvis.

Also Trap Family Lodge in Stowe is quaint and scenic. Good food too. Stowe is one of my alltime favorite vacation spots. Lots of shops, recreation trail is great for a bike ride or walk.

Apr 18th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Maggie

I think that the rooms at Twin Farms in BArnard are somewhat more expensive than $500.

Apr 18th, 2002, 04:47 PM
Beth2

Woodstock is the most quaint and charming town, imho.
I suggest staying at the Woodstock Inn. It's just lovely, within walking distance of all the shops, has a lovely tea time with piano, and a great dining room.

Apr 18th, 2002, 06:19 PM
RMC

Jennifer, Maggie is right. The least expensive room at Twin Farms is about $1000 a night! Looks amazing though and I'd love to indulge someday!

You might try the Woodstock Inn or the Jackson House in Woodstock VT. We stayed at the Jackson House and it was quite nice. There's another out of the way Inn that's been written up several times called the Rabbit Hill Inn in Lower Waterford VT. It's been featured on Oprah, Good Morning America, etc. I haven't personally stayed there but it looks quite nice. I'm not sure there's a lot to do in that area but I haven't really checked into it.

Apr 18th, 2002, 06:52 PM
Dona

Here's a recommendaton for the Rabbit Hill Inn. But, it's way north, rather isolated, and there's not much to see and do nearby. For just "relaxing", though, it's wonderful. The Inn at Round Barn Farm is wonderful, with plenty to see and do in the area. The Inn at Sawmill Farm is beyond elegant, romantic and comfortable, with magnificent dining. Truly awesome is the Inn at Shelburne Farms overlooking Lake Champlain. Be sure to check out the town of Stowe. Chock full of fabulous inns, this is our favorite town in Vermont. Positively gorgeous. Our favorite inn there is the Gables Inn (although, we haven't been there since it changed owners). We've had the best breakfasts anywhere on the planet there.

Apr 29th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Layla

The maple leaf inn (Barnard VT) has received quite a few rave reviews on eopinions - They have a website. www.mapleleafinn.com

Hope this helps

Apr 29th, 2002, 06:14 PM
km

My vote is for the Woodstock Inn. We like to stay in a Porch Room. I believe they just revamped their pool & spa facilities as well. Have fun!!

May 8th, 2002, 01:01 PM
Inn Fanatic

Jennifer,

Do consider the Rabbit Hill Inn. Quite elegant, fabulous food, a destination in itself! Easy to get to. PLENTY of things to do & see. Visit their website @ www.rabbithillinn.com. You'll be glad you sent your parents there!

May 8th, 2002, 01:49 PM
lisa

I agree that Woodstock is a lovely town, but I must admit that we were very disappointed in the Woodstock Inn. The lobby is lovely and it has a fitness center, golf course, fancy restaurant, etc. But our room was shabby and in definite need of a re-do. The furniture was so-so -- not even nice reproduction. The room was very small. Overall, not worth the $$. We'll go back to Woodstock, but not the Woodstock Inn.

May 12th, 2002, 05:03 PM
paget_pup

sounds like the battle of the quintesencial(sp)vermont village. As a vermonterm here is where I weigh in: if you want to spend the weekend with all those people you left behind, or can't do without a conceirege, go to the biggies. I would prefer the smaller B&B's. The Cornicopia Inn in Dorset(clearly THE quintessentail town)or perhaps the Swift HOuse Inn in Middlebury, the 1811 House in Manchester, and finally Mary's at Bristol Creek. In the summer we find all the local 'swimming holes" and cool off. (You could go to the spa) Vermont is made to be enjoyed OUTSIDE.