Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

"Value for Money" hotel in NYC - is it possible in this day and age???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2003, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really would love a nice hotel in NYC for under US150. I like 'international' standard and feel hotels rather than homely type ones. I'd love to stay near Times Sq, Midtown, or Manhattan - all web "deals" are expensive... any suggestions out there from seasoned travellers?
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 12:46 PM
GoTravel

The Mayflower, The Salisburry, The Surray, Shelburne Murray Hill, and Southgate Tower are a few that come to mind. Anything in the Affina.com group as they all have kitchens.

Old Nov 15th, 2003, 12:48 PM

When are you planning to travel to NYC? Some times during the year are more expensive than others and this reflects in the rates you are seeing.

Would you consider using Priceline? or would you like to have more control over the hotel you are booking? If you wanted to try this service, check the websites: betterbidding.com and biddingfortravel.com

If you wanted to choose your exact hotel, post back with the dates you are traveling, and also take a look at some of the hotel booking sites: hotelkingdom.com, laterooms.com, quikbook.com, travelaxe.com and placestostay.com
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 08:30 PM

At that kind of budget in New York, don't expect much. Expect a dingy, unattractive, cramped room with rotten service. Then you might be pleasantly surprised if anything is better than you expected. You will not find a really nice place for that kind of money in New York, unless you stumble upon a special deal somehow.
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 09:49 PM

I think the Grand Union would fit the bill very nicely and the rates are about $100 a night. It is a just off Madison Ave just south of 34th St.

You should also check www.hotels.com for rates as well.

Old Nov 16th, 2003, 02:07 AM

Through Priceline, I consistently get very comfortable 2* or 3* (their rating) hotels for less than $100. Recently, I was very pleased with Murray Hill Suites on Lexingon near Grand Central. Great location, separate seating area, small kitchen. Since Priceline is usually half of what you get elsewhere. You could probably reserve directly from the hotel for less than $150.

Club Quarters is a chain of business hotels in major cities throughout the world. It is often possible to get great deals on weekends.

All hotels now have very sophisticated pricing structures. So it really is important to know specific dates.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 04:40 PM
Rob

You wrote - I'd love to stay near Times Sq, Midtown, or Manhattan. Manhattan is one of New York's five boroughs. It is more than 10 miles long and at its widest about 2 miles.
You will get different answers as to what is considered midtown. My view is it runs from 34th Street to 59th St. Times Square runs from W. 42nd to West 47th, Broadway to 7th Avenue. But if someone says a few blocks north of 47th is part of TImes Square I wouldn't argue with them. The same with 42nd to 47th. 6th Ave. to 8th Ave.

Old Nov 16th, 2003, 05:17 PM

I just saw an article about winter promotions at NYC hotel in Frommers Budget Travel Magazine (sorry Fodors)
http://www.msnbc.com/news/986965.asp
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 05:25 PM

You might try the Fitzpatrick. They have 2 locations -- 1 near Grand Central and 1 near Bloomingdale's. It's a nice hotel, small lobby, great service. It's an Irish chain.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 05:24 AM

The rates from now til Jan 1 are the highest of the year. The rates Jan/Feb/March are much better (except holidays like Pres. Day weekend) If you want a "deal" you have to compromise. Either give up Times Square/midtown location where many tourists want to stay or give up quality/ambiance. By "international standard" do you want big/modern?

The Lucerne on the upper west side (north of midtown) is a recently renovated building with lots of marble. It's a nice area & easy transport to midtown. The Park South Hotel is just south of midtown & often has good deals on their website (parksouthhotel.com). The Affinia chain is a good idea as is the Fitzpatrick. You will get the best prices on Priceline. Read biddingfortravel.com
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 02:05 AM

Earl30 is wrong. Nice, clean, hip hotels exist in NY in your price range, if you go at the right time of year (forget about it, though, if you want to go before Christmas). You should check out Quikbook.com for deals.

We have always liked the hotels in the Gotham Group, which fit your bill very nicely. These include the Franklin, the Wales, the Shoreham and the Mansfield. All of these can be found on Quikbook.

Another choice, which is in Tribeca, is the Cosmo Hotel (they have a website). I recall that it is sometimes less than $100!!! And while the rooms are small and there is not much in the way of amenities, the rooms are well designed and comfortable.

Good luck!!
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 04:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I don't know exactly how strict your 'under 150' is or what you consider 'international' but we just (11/12/03-11/15/03) stayed at the Gorham on 55th between 6th and 7th.

The location cannot be beat.

It is not a luxury hotel but it has a European feel to it.

The lobby is relatively small, neat clean and has an internet-connected computer for guest use.

The rooms are fresh and clean with no musty smell.

Each room has a small kitchenette including a coffee maker, microwave and fridge.

The bathrooms are fully modern, marble throughout are equipped and have a jaccuzzi.

The bedroom is very large compared to the Hilton next door we stayed at 2 years ago.

There is a large closet, two dressers, a desk and chair and two additional chairs. There was 6-8ft on either side of the bed.

I would definitely stay there again.

The staff was friendly and helpful. We even got a loot bag with a T-shirt when we checked out.

Four blocks to Central Park. Three blocks to Rockefeller Center and Fifth Ave stores. Ten short blocks to the Theatre District.

The rooms seem to price out on their web site anywhere from 179 to about 265 depending on dates. For the time we went it priced out on Quikbook at 169. per night. The total including tax for three nights was 585.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 04:43 AM

I travel to NYC at least 4 times per year and always stay at Hojo's or Days Inn on 8th Ave. I long block from Times Square and right on the subway- C E trains. I have never paid over $110 and will be returning 12-27- 3 nights at $104/night. Web booked direct- but keep checking - they will sometimes have later booking deals- like President's week last year where I got 2 double beds for $79/ night. Priceline can be a great option but a lot of NYC properties are single bed rooms. Also consider the Super 8, again a block from Times Square.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 08:07 AM

I want to echo everything Myer said about the Gorham and add more... The beds and pillows were SO comfy! I hadn't slept that good in ages, even at home. I'm a very early riser and I even "slept in" at the Gorham till 8:30... Late for me.

We'll stay there again in a heartbeat. We paid $139 for a room with 2 queen beds for the 3 of us. It's an excellent location. We got our price directly from the hotels website for our August stay. I think quickbook.com had a comprable rate... Maybe it was hotres? One of the two. You won't be disappointed.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 08:15 AM

Of course, value for money is all relative to what you look for in a hotel. I have been happy with the Super 8 Times Square mentioned by Budget Queen, both on solo and family stays. Just last week I paid $116 per night (AAA rate). I think it was $109 last April. The Rockefeller Center subway is right around the corner. If you are looking for something during December, expect to pay more. A colleague was thinking of staying there for an early December business trip, and the rate was close to $180 without the AAA discount.