Notices

WDW Hotel suggestions?

Old Oct 31st, 2003, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WDW Hotel suggestions?

My 19 yr.old dgtr and I are going Jan 3rd for 5 nights. Have reservations at Wyndham Palace, but am having 2nd thoughts now. Wanted ultimate parkhopper and can't get it unless staying at Disney resort. Bad reviews/transportation woes worry me. Had thought it would be fun to stay close to downtown (won't have car). Am now considering Port Orleans, Swan, Hilton, even All stars and Animal Kington Lodge for the ticket and transportation features. Haven't been to Disney since '92. Maybe I'm overrating the downtown aspect? Sorry for the rambling...any thoughts?
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 04:51 PM

We have stayed at the Swan twice, and once at the Carribean Beach Resort. The Swan's location is good because you can walk to the Boardwalk area and to Epcot. Also some of the rooms are located such that you can watch Epcots fireworks from your balcony (you can request a room like that). If you stay at a moderate resort like Port Orleans I would suggest trying to get a room close to a bus stop - they are big resorts and your room may be quite a hike from the bus stop.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 05:08 PM
GoTravel

Are you talking about Downtown Disney or downtown Orlando?

I think part of Disney's charm is staying on property. Go to Disboards.com for all about Disney and Mousesavers.com for incredible savings. I once got the All Star Music on Disney property for $49 per night using a discount code I got off Mousesavers.com.

Old Oct 31st, 2003, 05:09 PM
susie2

Cinda, Go to www.disboards.com and post this question and any others you might have about Disney World, Hotels,Where to stay, etc. This is the BEST SITE for anyhing Disney.

Old Nov 7th, 2003, 07:12 PM

Hi, me and my 21 year old daughter just got back from a weeks vacation at disneyworld (Oct 23-30). We stayed at the Wilderness lodge on the Disney property. It was mostly for kids, but for 1 week, we forgot we were adults, and just had a BLAST! it does take about 30-40 minutes to get from your hotel to the parks, but I enjoyed not having to drive, and just jump on a bus, and go. We had the "ultimate park hopper" tix. Just like it sounds we had all access to EVERYTHING as many times as we cared to use the pass. We booked the "fairtale" vacation package. but I think it expires at the end of Nov. I don't know what kind of "bad" reviews of the hotel you read, but our hotel was really nice, and most of the other resorts I visited seemd very nice as well. For adults probably "Grand Flordian" might be more enjoyable. It's pretty spectacular looking (looks like the RAFFLES hotel in Singapore), and the monorail will take you direct to the Magic Kingdom. Buses will take you everywhere else. Either way, I think you will have a wonderful time. It's been 2 weeks, and me and my daughter can't stop talking about the great time we had!
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 07:28 PM

We went to WDW earlier this year and stayed at Grand Floridian, and had the park hopper pass. There really is something special about staying on WDW property. I had considered staying somewhere else, but was really glad we ended up at Disney property. They may be a bit more expensive, but the really do things right, and it's tons of fun.
Old Nov 8th, 2003, 05:48 AM

The Swan/Dolphin is in such a great location. They are also not as over run with young children as some of the other Disney hotels. They have a great pool area, are in walking distance of Epcot and MGM and the Boardwalk. THe bus service to Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom is great. Go to www.dreamsunlimited.com for some good deals. They will set everything up for you and even make your restaurant reservations.
Old Nov 8th, 2003, 06:11 AM

I just booked 4 nights at the Hilton in WDW through Priceline and paid 60/night! I thought this was an excellent price for this after having done much research and not truly caring about being on a D Resort. I had a travel agent point out to me that yoe are captive to th disney restaurants to a certain extent and that can get pricey. She mentioned that the hout early is only for one resort a day and only for select rides so you could easily end up waiting an hour with all the other people who were allowed in early for those particular rides. These things don't really affect us either way so I didn't consider them but you may want to. This is a quick last minute long weekend for us so hotel price dictated where to stay.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 03:36 PM

I wouldn't stay at the WDW hotels. We booked three nights at the Polynesian and when we got there it was overbooked. They sent us to the awful Contemporary. Giant disaster.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 04:47 PM

Hello-

I've been to Disney for several of the last few years and have stayed at the following on property resorts: Wilderness Lodge, Polynesian, Beach Club, Yacht Club, Boardwalk, and Port Orleans. My favorites, by far, are either the Yacht Club or the Beach Club. You can walk to either Epcot or MGM from those resorts. They are a bit pricey, however. I agree to check out Mousesavers.com to find discounted room rate codes...that's about the only way you can avoid paying rack rates for the room.

I still found, however, that it's easier to get a rental car and just drive to where ever you want to go....saves alot of time if you're dining at any of the other resorts, especially, plus it gives you the added flexibility. If you're planning on doing any of the waterparks, the wait for the busses is very long, so having a car saves a lot of aggravation.

Also, depending on how long you're going, it may make sense to do an annual park (AP) pass. If you're there longer than 7 days, it's more economical to do it that way, plus you can usually get AP room rates that may save you as much as 40% off the rack room rates.

If you're really not wanting to get a car, then I'd recommend any of the Boardwalk/Epcot area resorts, or the Polynesian since it's walking distance from the main bus terminal.

Hope that helps.

Lynne
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 04:42 AM

Cinda.. the resorts in Downtown Disney are considered Disney hotels and sell all the Parkhopper passes in thier gift shops. The Wydham is lovely and and if i is located in the DTD DIsney area gives you may of the benefits of staying in Disney. If Wyndham is not in DTD the Hilton and The Royal Plaza are and we have stayed at both and they are lovely. Hilton and Royal Plaza are adjacent to ech other. I would avoid a hotel called the Grovesnor, it is tired and old.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 07:09 AM
sam

Also try allearsnet.com, lots of pictures and great info. I'll second the vote for the Beach Club and staying within the park. The transportation is quick. When I stayed at the Beach Club in May, we took the water shuttle to MGM, walked to Epcot, and buses everywhere else, and the times were about 10-20 minutes (even the water parks). The Swan and Dolphin resorts are less expensive and are on the same bus route as Beach/Yacht Clubs and Boardwalk. I had also read the disboards and decided to stay within the park, it was worth it, especially when you get the extra magic hour and can get to the rides before the crowds. Have a fab time!
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 07:19 AM

We are booked at the Hilton 12/25-1/1 but due to transportation worries we decided to rent a car. We got a great deal from Dollar ($220 for a compact) and still ended up paying less than we would have for those same dates at the deluxe or moderate resorts at Disney. With Hilton, you still get the early entry.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 07:25 AM

Definitely stay at one of the Walt Disney properties. We always stay at The Grand Floridian -- which I think is the ultimate experience! They also have a wonderful afternoon tea. If you stay off property, then it means driving your car to the parking lots with the hoards and hoards of cars (paying the parking fee) and then taking a tram to one of the transportation centers, which are right there for any of the WDW resort guests. An incredible convenience -- you can't imagine!
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 07:27 AM

I very much enjoyed staying at the Polynesian and the Grand Floridian. It is really so so conveniant just hopping on the monrail not having to deal with stupid parking issues.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 06:28 AM

Cinda-
You did not mention price range....I have stayed on site 2 times (last time this past September) and off site too many to count (last time last year). I have stayed at the All Star resorts (Movies in 1997 and Music this year). While I would LOVE to stay at the Grand Floridean/AK Lodge/Wilderness Lodge and the like, I am not usually in the room that often so I can't justify the extra expense. The All Stars have nice rooms, decent food, and have bus transportation everywhere w/in the World. I last stayed off site at the Courtyard by Marriott (on Hotel Plaza Blvd not too far from the Wyndham) close to Downtown Disney. There was complimentary transportation by bus (being a Disney Neighbor hotel) to all parks/Dtwn Disney. You can even walk to Dwtn Disney if you want to. Please feel free to email me with any questions at [email protected] (I also used to live in Orlando).

Hope this helps!
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 08:35 AM

I know lots of people that have stayed in the more budget hotels on Disney and enjoyed it very much. My husband and I like the slightly more expansive hotels because they aren't as over run with children. The only downside I have heard people say about the budget hotels is the transportation since they have a bus system. Being right on the monorail can be wonderful! Whatever you do I am sure you will have fun.