vacation rental on the Big Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm working on a vacation for late August/early September 2008 for our family of four and am considering renting an oceanfront house for part of our time on the Big Island. I've found this rental in the Kona area, http://www.hawaii-kona.com/rental-properties/MOANA.html, and wondered if anyone is familiar with it. Any other recommendations, either for specific properties or other areas, would be great, too. Thanks!
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 09:03 PM

I have not been to that island, but whenever I do go to Hawaii, I get in touch with owners directly at http://rentalo.com They have thousands of vacation rental listings, so you are bound to find a great one there.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 10:07 PM

it's close to hrc and lava javas. rental has a lot of charm compared to some i saw there, but there's no pool or a/c. not me, but my kid is a huge fan of keauhou sheraton's 200' slide. keauhou hotels is just 10" to kona town. alii dr in kona had all the hang outs but i wanted to stay a safe distance.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 05:29 AM

You might consider houses in south Kona on Kealakakua Bay--see this website for some ideas. http://www.renthawaiihome.com/
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, equitydw, kauai_aka, and martym, for your suggestions!
I'd checked vrbo but didn't know about rentalo. I think we can live without a pool (kids are grown) but maybe not without air conditioning. Is it likely to be uncomfortably warm in late Aug/early September? Will definitely check out homes at Kealakakua Bay as well. Martym, are there particular advantages to that area?
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 08:54 AM
MaureenB

We have stayed in a two bdrm/two bath condo at Sea Village a few times. It is just below Kona, in a good location. It's a low-key place, not a big high-rise condo place. It's very well-kept and managed. Most units have great ocean views. There's a small oceanside pool, and free tennis.

We have always requested a top floor unit (three-story buildings), even though there's no elevator, to get the full on shoreline view.

You can Google "Sea Village". The units are individually owned, and many are managed by the owners. You can see lots of photos on-line.

It's a very good place, usually at a very good price.
>-

Old Jan 29th, 2008, 09:46 AM

The advantage to Kealakakua Bay--IMO is that it's more laid back since it's away from the crowds in Kailua-town and it's on a lovely bay that's good for snorkeling and kayaking. (though you can drive to Kailua-Kona in about 1/2 hr [non-rush hour])
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Maureen, thanks for that recommendation and thanks, too, martym, for that additional information.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

I noticed that pinktea started a parallel thread asking about rentals in the Puako area. Since no one has commented directly yet about the Puako vs Kona question, I'd also be interested in people's opinions about the two locations. Better restaurants/shopping in one vs the other? Temperature differences, one cooler, one warmer?
Thanks!
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 05:01 AM

Puako is on the Kohala Coast-so all the expensive resorts with their upscale restaurants and shopping are within an easy drive. Puako itself is as described in the other thread you refer to.

By Kona I assume that you mean the town of Kailua-Kona (not the south Kona district). It is, in many ways, a sterotypical tourist beach town--lots of restaurants-almost all not as pricy as the ones in Kohala resorts, lots of shops, many with t-shirts and souveniers, a nice location on Kailua Bay and lots of rentals, both condos and houses and a few hotels. There are some beaches as you travel south along Alii Driv. Kahaluu Beach is popular and has good snorkeling for beginners especially.

The temperatures in Kailua-Kona and Puako are the same.

Old Jan 30th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again, martym! Yes, when I've said Kona, I meant Kailua-Kona. We are from Southern California and the thought of a stereotypical tourist beach town makes my heart sink just a bit. Kealakakua does look more laid back, predominately homes and so less densely populated. We would be eating out most nights and so easy access to a variety of restaurants is important. Fresh, well-prepared food is what we're after, fancy surroundings not necessary.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 11:25 AM

Most of the rentals around Kealakakua Bay are in the little village of Napoopoo, though some are elsewhere. There are no restaurants in Napoopoo. There is one on the road up from the coast to highway 11--Namaste--and I think it might just be open for lunch. However, on highway 11 there are a variety of choices. You might check out the restaurant recommendations and the restaurant reviews on www.konaweb.com. Some of our favorites in south Kona are Mi's Italian Bistro, Ke'ei Cafe, Manago Hotel restaurant, Teshimas and Aloha Cafe. During non-rush hour times (yes, there is a rush hour on the BI),you can drive into Keauhou in about 20-30 minutes--and there are a couple of good restaurants there--Kenichi Pacific and a Thai place--I forget the name.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 12:24 PM

If you are going to eat out almost every night, you had better stay in Kona. Lots more restaurants, and also decent supermarkets. I'm afraid Safeway is the most upscale market there is, but out of town the choice of fare is really not very good, I think. We go to Kona every year for 3 weeks and I would say that compared to the beach towns on Maui, for example, Kona is better.

We stay here: http://www.vrbo.com/36456. We are going for the third time to this place. It has a HUGE and well-furnished lanai and we have often eaten breakfast out there and watched whales and dolphins just off shore, as well as a large sea turtle who grazes on algae in the tide pools in front of the place.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Martym and charnees, thank you both for your advice and suggestions!
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 05:54 AM

FYI--There is a nice supermarket in south Kona--Choice Mart--at the Kealakakua Ranch Center (nice selection of produce and meat, fish, decent take-out). Also I always enjoy the South Kona Fruit Stand--also on the highway 11 (going south it is on the left side to the highway just after you pass the road going to Place of Refuge--lilikoi $2/lb outstanding!). There is also a nice bakery right on the highway--don't remember its name and a fresh fish market (its next to Big Jake's Island Barbeque)also on highway 11.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Great tips--thanks a lot!
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 07:27 AM

Puako is isolated and expensive. We stayed at an oceanfront house there. A little rustic. For example, a centipede was around and it was chilly at night. But Neil Young, the singer, has a house at the end of the road there. I don't think kids would like it. Very little to do. In Kona, there is alot to do. Keauhou - about 2-3 miles down the road is quieter and close enough to Kona to drive there quickly. They have the submarine dive, snokling cruises, whale watching boat trips, glass bottom boat, parasailing, surfing lessons, scuba lessons, dinner sails, luaus. Poncho and Lefty's is the local Mexican cafe. Royal Kona Resort is in Keauheau plus alot of other condo rentals. Kohala Coast is more isolated and has houses to rent as well as hotels and condos. There is Luke's in Hawi on the northern part and that is quieter and less traveled. In Waimea, where the Parker Ranch is, another community. Condos are plentiful and good for families and cheaper. Hilo is very wet and not as much to do. Up the hill from Waikoloa Beach is the town of Waikoloa but little is there. Kids they say like the Waikoloa Beach Hilton hotel. You probably need to rent a car. After years of hassels I found just this year a very good rental company. I recommend
1-888-292-3307
[email protected]
www.DiscountHawaiiCarRental.com - Discount Car Rentals
www.HawaiiInfoGuide.com - Visitor information and business directory

Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for additional information and especially for the tip about the car rental.
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 07:00 PM
kip

Another vote for South Kona. We've enjoyed a couple of great stays at a house on Kealakekua Bay. (Tommy Tinker's Pink House- no longer seems to be available for rent.) Loved being down at Na Po'o Po'o- nice local community, very friendly, beautiful bay. Great kayaking and snorkling and some funky local beaches. It is a drive into Kailua Kona but we found everything we wanted locally- fruit stands, great little restaurants and incredible scenery. Very relaxing.

If you go, be sure to read Tony Horowitz's "Blue Latitude." It's a great read about Cook's Voyages and the local community at Na Po'o Po'o.