Second Trip to Hawaii, First to B.I.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2005, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband, a friend, and I are planning to go to Hawaii next summer. On our first trip several years ago we visited Maui and Kauai, and this time we want to return to Kauai and visit the b.i. We will have about 12 days. Not enough, I know, but we have constraints on either side.

My question concerns where to stay on the b.i. We plan to rent a cottage, and we'd like to be surrounded by beautiful nature rather than be in a built up area. But we'd also like to be accessible to places we'll want to visit. We love to snorkel, do light hiking, visit markets, and just explore the beauty of the islands. We'd like to be not terribly far from some shops and restaurants (though we plan to cook, and don't require much in the way of night life). Of course we'd want to visit the Volcano National Park, and see the Hilo area as well, but we'd prefer to stay on the sunnier side of the island, I think. I was also wondering if we should be based in two spots on the b.i., rather than just one, though I hate the idea of moving and settling in three times in 12 days.

The area of Wamea seemed like a possible compromise, but then the area around Captain Cook and the Place of Refuge also appealed to me...

I'd be interested in hearing your recommendations.
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 06:20 AM

lizzoob,
My aunt used to rent a house in Puako every year. I visited her a few times there. It is a wonderful little area of homes on the Kohala Coast just south of the Mauna Kea and Hapuna Beach. Here are some links to rentals in this area.

http://www.vacationbigisland.com/default.aspx

http://www.hawaiioceanfront.com/index.htm

Hope this helps.

-Bill

Old Nov 5th, 2005, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bill--I'm not so much looking for house rental sites as I am for feedback about the relative merits of staying in different areas of the Big Island. The Puako area looks appealing, but what do you think in terms of having one base of two?

Liz
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 07:32 AM

IMO you need two bases. Look at some of the great cottages in Volcano Village (e.g. Forest House at My Island B&B) and then choose another cottage in the Kona or Kohala areas. There looks to be some good choices in "coffee country", just upcountry from Kona, with great coastal views.
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 08:01 AM

The Big Island is...well, Big, so two bases make sense. Personally I like to unpack once and feel like some place is "home" for my stay, but spending a lot of time in a car driving back and forth to places can be a pain in the okole.

I am actually starting to think about a possible trip to the BI in 2007 and am wondering how to do it as well. There are some great hotel properties on the BI that I want to check out, but I also like staying in rental properties too. Good luck with your planning, it is more than half the fun.

-Bill
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your ideas and recommendations!

Liz