Lodging near Hilo, BI

Search

Lodging near Hilo, BI

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2006, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lodging near Hilo, BI

I'm planning a trip with a friend (need two beds) to BI and Kauai in early July. We'll probably stay on BI for 3-4 nights. Friend is an avid birdwatcher and has found a guided trip at Hakalau (northwest of Hilo) she wants to do. I'm a fan of beaches and snorkeling; and we both have a geology background, so we'll need some time to see the volcano area (although I have some respect for Pele and know she can change her mind about where the lava flows).

I'm trying to find reasonable lodging on BI for under $100/night within easy driving distance to the Hakalau trip as well as Volcano. Something with a kitchen would be nice, especially if our restaurant options are limited. I've been looking at Alternative Hawaii and at Hawaiian Paradise vacation rentals. I'm particularly intrigued by the Kapoho area, although Friend suggested staying near/in Volcano.

Can anyone offer advice as to the quality of these rentals? We're not looking for fancy, just clean and functional and relatively bug-free. What about availability of restaurants and other amenities between Hilo and Volcano? Are there restaurants and grocery stores in the Kapoho area? Any advice would be very helpful.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 11:49 AM

Kapoho is a lovely area in the Puna District of Hawaii. Some of the best snorkeling on the island is there in the Kapoho lagoons, whichh have great coral formations. No beach there, just snorkeling off the lava rocks. It is about 40 minutes from Hilo and maybe 45 from the VNP. It usually is a bit sunnier there than some other parts of Puna. Kapoho is also close to the "warm pond", a geothermally heated swimming spot set in a beautiful grove of palms alongside the ocean.

I can't comment on the individual rentals, each one would be individually owned. We stayed in the "Kapoho Sunny Delight" about five years ago and liked it. Small but clean. The little town of Pahoa is nearby with several good restaurants and a nice grocery store.

Have fun, I love the Big Island.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 02:14 PM

Have not stayed in Hilo area, having been drawn to the snorkeling in Kona and beaches on the Kohala coast, and would like to add that located between Hilo and volcano, are amenities such as Big Island Candies, and Mauna Loa macadamia nut factory, and stores including Walmart etc. Link with some more info:
http://www.discoveringhawaii.com/Is_...%20of%20Hawaii

Intrigued by "friend" > who suggests staying in volcano
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 02:22 PM

If your main purpose is clean and functional, check out the Wild Ginger Inn in Hilo. It is the worker's quarters of an old sugar plantation, and it is quite cheap in Hawaii terms. IIRC, some of the larger rooms have kitchenettes. http://www.wildgingerinnhilo.com/
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 03:06 PM

We are doing a similar trip and I think Art and Orchids BandB might work for you. They have one room with a couple bed/futons with a shared kitchen. Also, we had a recommendation from some Hawaiian friends to a spot called Paradise Vacation Rentals with cottages. Here's the web-site: http://www1.interpac.net/~escape

Old Jun 1st, 2006, 03:24 PM

We just stayed on Hawaii and strongly recommend http://www.vrbo.com/61165

The owner, Christina, was very friendly. The condo is located about 20 minutes from Hilo and the VNP. The condo has two bedrooms, kitchen, etc.

If anything, the condo is *better* than the pictures on the website.

Mike Honeycutt
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 06:47 AM

We love the Puna district of the Big Island. We recently stayed in the Kehena area and would highly recommend it if you want ocean views. If you don't want to hassle with a vacation rental, you could always stay at Kalani www.kalani.com.

From Kehena, it's a 20 minute drive to the snorkeling at Kapoho or the town of Pahoa for restaurants and markets. Volcano is about an hour away and Hilo a half hour. The best beach in the area is the black sand beach of Kehena.
There are many Kehena listings at vrbo.

During our stay, the weather in Kehena was always better than the weather in Hilo or Volcano where rain is very common.

Another great place to stay is up by the Waipio Valley but there it is almost certain that you will have rain.

Otis
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 11:49 AM

Kalani is a beautiful tropical resort -not in the ordinary sense, more secluded, remote. My son works part time in the kitchen there. Great food he says.

One note, while Kehena is a great black sand beach, you should be aware that it is a clothing optional beach.

You might also take a look at this website for rentals near Hilo www.deephawaii.com . They are very affordable and about 20 minutes from Hilo.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 01:25 PM

There are many options in Volcano Village for about $150. per night. Cute houses in a rainforest type setting - cool at night. We loved the Forest House at My Island B&B but there are numerous similar places - complete with multiple bedrooms, kitchens, utility rooms, etc.