Search

Big Island trip

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2014, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Island trip

We are planning a winter getaway Jan/Feb 2015 to Kona HI. We've gone before (about 3 &5 years ago) but always with another couple which helped to share the cost of the condo etc. Now my husband and I are going alone and wonder what we should expect to pay for a condo (studio or 1-bdrm) on the Big Island. We'd prefer to stay on the Kona side - always stayed in Keahou before.

Also, what is the best way to search for a condo to stay at? Our friends always did the searching on VRBO.

Any tips on car rentals would be appreciated too.

thanks!
Old Jul 8th, 2014, 11:07 PM

There are condos and vacation rental accommodations that car rentals are already included as part of their packages. You won't have a hard time finding one in the Big Island. In fact, it's one of the best place to visit in Hawaii since their vacation rentals like condos and villas are indeed spectacular with great services too. Been there and still want to visit the place again! Good luck! Hope you'll fin the best one!
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 02:36 AM

Aside from checking the various websites - also check Pleasant (Hawaiian) Holidays - as they have some good packages.

http://www.pleasantholidays.com/Plea...Fc1lfgod-rQA7A
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 04:05 AM

The Waikoloa Resort area is a great location; lots of amenities nearby, A-bay is nice, but you are close to many other beaches.
VRBO is the best bet; you can get a 2 bd, 2 bath condo starting at $700/week (usually you also pay 13.4% tax, a cleaning fee [$125-150 usually], and some charge a refundable damage deposit, on top of the rental list price; still a bargain):
http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals...coast/waikoloa

Costco members get excellent car rental rates
Discount Hawaii car rental also has great rates
http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com
I've also used carrentals.com with success.
Book early, and check every now and then for reductions.
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 06:14 AM

Best vog-free area is the Kohala Coast (NW). A lot of condos and townhomes were constructed during the RE boom, resulting in some good prices for vacationers.

We've also stayed Keauhou, at Surf & Racquet, but many years ago. No beach, but right on the ocean. (Stay above the first floor or risk being swamped.) We also once rented a house above the shopping center for a month -- lovely 3 BR place and amazingly cheap. (See a realtor.)
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 07:16 AM

We have stayed a few times at Sea Village, just south of Kona. It is a relatively simple condo complex, which is very well-kept and managed. Many of theunits are on VRBO, or managed by a company whose name I can't remember.

We always got a 2 bdrm/2bath unit, on the third floor, facing the ocean. Perfection. (Except no elevators)

https://www.diamondresorts.com/Sea-Village
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 07:25 AM

Vrbo is a great. I've rented at the Kanaloa in Keauhou and also in Waikoloa/Kohala. I prefer the Kohala coast, though.
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 07:42 AM

There are gobs of condos on the Big Island. I think first you need to figure out what you want. Do you want oceanfront? Then Kailua Kona area. Do you want to be close to great swimmable beaches and good snorkeling? Then Kohala area. Do you want to be able to walk to restaurants and shops? Kailua-Kona. Do you want to be away from the touristy hustle and bustle? Then Kohala.

Once you narrow down your wish list, hop on VRBO. There are a ton of filters so it is easy to pinpoint your search there. There are fewer 1 bedrooms in Kohala than in KK but the 2 bedrooms are not that expensive and might fit the bill. Depending on how long you stay, try to negotiate the price or get cleaning fees waived, etc.

Discount Hawaii Car Rental and Costco are your best bets there.

Happy Planning
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your helpful RSVP's. I found every one very helpful and I am on the way to get the trip pulled together.
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 07:53 PM

You're very welcome Patpat! Good luck to you my friend!
Old Jul 10th, 2014, 02:47 AM

So what did you wind up paying in what area if you please.
Old Jul 10th, 2014, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you again for taking time for your helpful replies.

We have booked a one bedroom condo in Keauhou at the surf and racquet for $600/week. It has the garden view so I am presuming we won't have to worry about high tide.

So far the best deal in car rental is from Hertz for $742.95 for the 3 weeks. Don't know if there will be better deals closer to the stay - but I'll keep checking.
Old Jul 14th, 2014, 03:30 PM

You also might try Airbnb. https://www.airbnb.com/ We rented a place through them for a week in January, 2015 in Kailua-Kona. Costs for seven nights were $766, plus $75 cleaning fee, and Airbnb fee of $87.

We are Airbnb hosts ourselves for our guest room north of Seattle, so we think we know what to look for. Lots of positive reviews are a must, plus the host should be quickly responsive to any questions you might have. We got slightly stung in Paris in May by ignoring the last part. Most of our problems there was because there was an absentee landlord and the onsite chap was a friendly but useless twit.

I'll post a review when we return, but that won't help you, PatPat, I'm afraid.
Old Jul 21st, 2014, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Nukesafe for the Airbnb website. I found it very interesting.
Happy to say that our contact with the owner of the Keauhou condo has been very positive and responsive - so I do concur with your tip on what to look for in a host.

Let me know how your trip turns out! I'll check it out.