Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Vacation House Rental in Florida - Family Trip

Nov 9th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

We have 4 adults and 4 kids looking for a vacation rental home for January/February 2011. We want somewhere warm and somewhere that has a pool and is close to the beach. Any help on the best place to stay weather wise for this time of year as well as where to stay would be appreciated. We would like 4 bedrooms and a cost of approximately $2000 for the week.
Nov 9th, 2010, 01:02 PM

The only way you are likely to get 'warm' that time of year is in the Keys & even that is not a sure thing. For your budget, well that may be nearly impossible. I'd check on vrbo.com for starters, but that would barely get you a room, many places.
Nov 9th, 2010, 04:37 PM

I think the weather may be a bigger problem for you than the price. Even in the Keys you're unlikely to get beach weather that whole time. You really need to head for Mexico or Hawaii.
Nov 10th, 2010, 05:02 AM

It depends on what you mean by beach weather. Here in Nantucket people go to the beach in the summer with water temperatures in the high 60's and air temperatures about 70.

You should encounter similar or better conditions south of Ft Myers on the West Coast (Atlantic will be cooler) much -- but certainly not all of the time.

Locals and winter residents will scream when the morning temperature is in the 50's and if there is a breeze, but you may find it pretty nice. Unless it is like 2009-2010 which had record cold.
Nov 10th, 2010, 08:25 AM

When I first saw this post I thought "No way, good luck with that!" but then did a little research.

Here is a place that fits most of your tough requirements:

Sleeps 8, 3 BR, private pool, and on a beautiful island with an uncrowded white sand beach. Most importantly, the weather is WARM with average January highs in the low 80s and average lows in mid 60s. The one thing is that it is not in Florida but in Mexico. The nearest airport is Cancun which has airfares not much more than flying into Florida.

http://www.vrbo.com/118497
Nov 10th, 2010, 08:27 AM

Oh, and it's over your $2000/week figure by $400.
Nov 10th, 2010, 12:02 PM

We've visited Florida many times over the past 20 years and stayed in a variety of locations. We were visiting relatives on winter school breaks (December/January and February) and usually added side trips (with and without the relatives!). We've had experience of many parts of Florida from Orlando to Key West. Even in the "warm" months southern Florida can be cool. Because of this I wouldn't choose a Florida location if I wanted to feel confident about lounging by a pool or sunbathing on the beach.

Florida weather isn't very reliable, in my opinion, and I am recalling a few trips with days of rain or cold and being confined indoors with three young children eager for outdoor activity.

We did have many warm and sunny days over the years, it's just not going to be much fun if you draw a cool spell for your trip.

I'll deny saying this to any Florida relatives that might be able to identify me, but, if we didn't feel obligated to visit the relatives, I would choose a Caribbean destination over Florida.