Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help finding vacation spot in Fla for early Jan.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to spend 5-7 days in Florida this January. I want an area that is warm enough to spend long hours on the beach and is charming and quiet. Basically, looking for Santa Barbara, Captive or Nantucket type of community. Happy to rent an apt or home. If there are cultural attractions nearby or scenic gardens, that would be a plus. If you have other places outside of Florida that you think might fit the bill, suggestions would be appreciated.
Many thanks.
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 02:31 PM

Florida may be too cold in January to spend long hours on the beach. We always had to go further south for beach weather in January or February. More like Aruba or Cancun or Antigue. None of those are the Nantucket type. Sorry. Hope others have better ideas.
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 05:00 PM

I second the above post. Unfortunatly, January is our coldest month, and it does get quite cold. If you really want to come then, I would suggest going to South Florida or the Keys.
If your budget allows, I,too, would look into Mexico or a place in the Carribbean.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 09:22 AM

If you want consistently warm beach weather, I think you are looking at South Florida. However, you will also be competing for space with snowbirds who often stay 3 months, unless you get a motel.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 10:33 AM
GoTravel

Key West or Naples but Key West doesn't really have beaches.

Old Nov 15th, 2007, 06:13 AM

Look up Venice. It's on the southwest coast of Florida, is quiet and lots of beaches. It's close enough to Naples to go into the city for sightseeing and such.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 07:55 AM
LN

I have a home in southwest Florida near Sarasota and we do get cooler days in January whereas February and March are warmer.

However many of the January days are wonderful for beach walks and even cooler breezes are great with a sweatshirt on walking the beach.

We have the Marie Selby Gardens and the Mote Marine Acquarium, Myakka River State Park and so many other options. We're an hour south of the Dali Museum in St Pete.

You might look into our islands - Longboat Key, Anna Maria Island, and Siesta Key. Each has the wonderful white, talcum powder beaches and fantastic sunsets.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 08:14 AM

Definitely agree that you should look at the Sarasota / Venice areas. There is lots to do. Probably not warm enough to swim in the ocean but you can definitely walk on the beach. My parents live near here and go to the beach every weekend.