Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Funky/quiet Florida beach town for x-mas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My DH and I are trying to find a place to meet my inlaws for the week between Christmas and New Years. We would like to rent a house at or near the beach in a funky and/or quiet town in Florida where we can bring our dogs.

We had some great trips to Grayton Beach in the past, before it started getting built up, but are worried that the panhandle will be too cold for us in December.

We are beach fanatics, birders, kayakers, animal lovers, and enjoy fishing, hiking, cooking, relaxing at beachside bars/restaurants, soaking up the sun, just being lazy, etc. We aren't into shopping, nightlife, glitz, or crowds.

Any towns that fit the bill, and where we will be warm in December?

Thanks Fodorites!
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 09:54 AM
GoTravel

Ft. Lauderdale, Lauderdale-By-The-Sea, or Hollywood Beach, Florida.

Old Jun 5th, 2007, 10:09 AM

We go to two places in Florida in the Winter, Amelia Island & the Keys.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

GoTravel and SAnParis-

Thanks for the tips. I am now researching them all.

GoTravel-
Lauderdale-by-the-Sea looks great, and they even have scuba diving, a bonus I wasn't expecting since I think or Florida diving as being far off-shore (a bummer for me because I get so seasick.)

The chamber of commerce says the temps average in the low 70s in the winter. Is the water warm enough for swimming then? Sunbathing?

Thanks again!
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 11:49 AM

December can be iffy, weather wise. Could be beautiful, could be cool. The water will be warm enough for any water activities. The farther south you get the better your chances for weather the Keys being the best. December is not very consitant in South Florida. Last year it was in the 80's just about every day, a couple of years ago thought it was cold and rainy.
Good luck, whatever you decide!
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 11:52 AM
GoTravel

BlueSwimmer, I've been in the ocean at Christmas and although it takes your breath away at first, it is fine.

You'll find most pools in South Florida are heated during that time and I prefer them. Unless it is really cold, which it usually isn't, it is nice sunbathing weather.

I LOVE the Florida Keys but they are so expensive between Christmas and New Years that I've completely forgotten about recommending them.

Hollywood Beach would be the most reasonable priced.

Old Jun 6th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone. We are trying to look beyond the Keys since we've been there, to find somewhere new.

I'm always searching for that perfect undiscovered beach town, with reasonable real estate prices (hah!), cool people, natural beauty, funky bars and restaurants, and a quirky vibe.

I guess everyone else wants that too, so that drives the prices up, then more t-shirt shops are built to sell us souveniers, etc. Maybe a time machine is the answer- to go back to the time BEFORE everyone discovered all the good spots.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 04:12 AM
cd

We were in the St Pete Beach area this past Christmas to New Years' week and the weather was in the 80's. I love this stretch from Clearwater to St Pete Beach. There are a lot of rentals by vrbo.com and you could probably find someone who would let you bring your dogs.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 04:58 AM

The Keys can get pricey after the middle of December. Amelia Island may be it. We typically go there in January (either New Years or MLK Day week). Your chances of getting in the water are about 50/50 that time of year. Check out www.ameliaisland.org &/or www.vrbo.com. We usually rent from www.amelia-era.com.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 05:02 AM
OO

Boca Grande is a funky little town. Very little. You won't find glitz or crowds...it will be peaceful, but most likely $$$.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 05:07 AM

We spent the winter with our two dogs at Fort Myers Beach and Sanibel Island. Both permit leashed dogs on the beach and are far enough south for good weather. Sanibel would probably be the better location as it offers everything you list and is also a very quiet location.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

More great ideas! Thanks! I am enjoying looking for the paw print that means pet-friendly on VRBO and perusing the houses .

I think DH is leaning toward Lauderdale by the Sea because of the chance to get in some diving.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 05:45 AM

Sanibel might be a good spot for what you want, but with mid-to-high 60s water temps. Warmer water on the southeast coast from Palm Beach on south, but more built up, less funky.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 05:52 AM
GoTravel

If you want warm weather, you'll need to stay south of Palm Beach.

Old Jun 6th, 2007, 06:01 AM

Lauderdale by the Sea is pretty expensive and built out. And I wouldn't consider it a funky little town, more like a small municipality within a large city.

I second CD's recommendation. The area is called Pass-A-Grille. Dogs aren't allowed on the beach itself, but if you wait until the lifeguards go home, you can. Everybody does.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks hills! I was getting the impression that there were lots of condos from looking online. Of course, it is harder and harder to find
quiet little beach towns as all the waterfront property gets snapped up.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 06:49 AM

I second St Petersburg. We actually have spent some time during the winter holidays in Treasure Island (my favorite beach). It is very eclectic with its mid-century modern architecture. There are lots of things to do and a nice wide beach.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 06:52 AM
GoTravel

BlueSwimmer, there are great oceanfront motels in LBTS and most are set up like condos and have kitchens in them.

Look at www.Sunny.org and look for the Small Superior Lodgings logo.