Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best beaches to swim in Florida during New year's time?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to Florida during New year's eve and we stay in Boston. We really want to get in some warm water and swim!! Can you suggest a nice warm beach to drive around Orlando or Miami? Thanks.
Preeya
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 12:49 PM
stjohnbound

Brrrrr. You won't find me swimming in Florida in January!

Old Nov 18th, 2005, 12:56 PM

Have to agree with stjohnbound. The water temps that time of year are a bit too cold for me.

NOAA coastal water temperature site showing monthly average and real-time actual water temps along the entire US coast (very interesting site):

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/index.html

Ken
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 01:09 PM

And if you are still interested after seeing the NOAA temperature charts, I will make a couple of observations, having lived several years on both coasts of Florida:
1. The Gulf will be warmer than the Atlantic.
2. The Atlantic can get pretty rough just for swimming.
3. If you want to stay on the Atlantic, do go to Miami and visit South Beach. Good wide beaches and just about as warm as you will find, since the Gulf stream flows around the tip of Florida past Miami.
4. If you decide to go to the Gulf side, stay as far south as you can. The Fort Myers area would be good, and even Clearwater/St Pete Beach might be OK if you are accustomed to cooler water.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 05:47 AM

The springs in Florida are a "warm" 72 degrees all year round. That will be warmer than anything you'll encounter in the Gulf or Atlantic. I believe it's Rock Springs that is in Orlando but as I recall the "boil" area was not particularly big or deep for swimming.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your responses. I will try going to the Gulf side or maybe to Miami..Any other warm springs you would know are OK to swim? Thanks.
Preeya
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 06:24 AM

The Gulf beaches are only warmer than the Atlantic in the summer. By January, water temps even as far south on the Gulf as Naples/Marco Island are mid-to-high 60s. On the Atlantic side, the Gulf Stream comes close to shore between Miami and Palm Beach, so water temps should be low 70s. Anywhere in that stretch is warmest (Palm Beach, Boynton, Delray, Boca, Ft.Lauderdale, Miami. Also around Key Largo. North of Palm Beach, the water cools rapidly--don't go near Orlando.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 08:10 AM

This spring in the Ocala National Forest is very nice:

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/springs/l.../alexander.htm

You need to keep in mind that 72 degrees is warm only to a polar bear. This is an invigorating experience but you will not find anything that will make for a leisurely swim unless you head further south into the caribbean.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 08:19 AM

Tandoori Girl -

I think 72 degrees would be fairly luxurious. The 60s of the Gulf and Atlantic beaches are the temps that our waters might get to during August. Which is probably why you live there and not here. Have fun preeya!
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 08:45 AM

We used to visit "Granny and Pops" on Siesta Key for the holidays and often went swimming in the Gulf. I've been to the East Coast in January and never wanted to go in the Atlantic -- looked way too cold.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 09:39 AM

Since Floridians consider water cooler than 75 degrees as frigid, I guess it depends upon where you live as to what you consider a nice warm beach. We can always tell the folks from Canada, Maine, Mass., New York and New Jersey because they are the ones in the 65 degree water in January!! brrrrr! But the Gulf is always warmer than the Atlantic side and Clearwater Beach and St. Petersburg Beach are only an hour and a half drive straight across/down I-4 from Orlando, instead of the hour or so longer drive to Miami. Of course, the further south you go, the warmer the water will be - by a few degrees. Come on over, we would love to have you.