using the TKTS booths for Broadway shows

Old Mar 24th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
using the TKTS booths for Broadway shows

My wife and I want to attend a matinee of Mama Mia in mid-April. We only have a few days in the city this trip so I'm trying to decide whether to spend time in the TKTS line or simply order online in advance - I'd prefer the TKTS booth for the lower prices. Three questions ... 1)can I buy next-day matinee tickets at the TKTS booth, or are the tickets only same-day? 2)we're staying on the UES so the TImes Sq booth seems best - if we arrived at opening, how long do you think we'd have to wait to buy our tickets. 3)finally, since Mama Mia's been on Broadway for awhile, do you think ticket availability will be a problem at the TKTS booth? Thanks.
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 01:16 PM

I think Mama Mia is generally available at TKTS, but so sometimes (today for example) it is only 30% off. Most recently I got in the Wed. Matinee line about 10 minutes before it opened at 10am and in about 10 more minutes after opening I had my tickets. 20 minutes total

But you can get a 30 to 40% discount code on Playbill.com or Broadway Box and get them in advance online, possibly better seats too.

You can only get matin tickets the day before at the Brooklyn TKTS.
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 01:28 PM

Is the South St Seaport still closed? If not, they sell matinee tickets there the day before.
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 01:29 PM

I meant to add that i have never stood in line more than half an hour.It goes quickly.
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 02:02 PM

No need to stand inline at all. Buy advance discount tickets and get a chance at better seats via broadwaybox.com. Mama mia is definitely discounting in advance.
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 02:41 PM

Southport TKTS is still closed from Sandy.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 04:15 AM

It's always impossible to guess which will be better -- advance purchase at discount or going to the TKTS booth. I generally say I prefer the advance, because I can better pick the seats, but if you are not in New York, you also pay up to $17 per ticket in fees buying them in advance (if you go to an actual box office in advance there are no booking fees -- but you have to do it in person, you can't do it by phone).

I was a bit surprised a couple weeks ago. I was heading into the city last minute and looked on line at discount tickets for Newsies two days before. I only needed one, but literally the "best" seat I could get on line (at a 30% discount by the way) was either next to the last row of orchestra on the side or near the back of the balcony. I chose NOT to see the show from those seats. But I did go to the TKTS line the two days later, and as I said it took me 20 minutes total. Anyway, my first choice was Newsies and I asked rather hesitantly what the best single was they had. He gave me fifth row center -- normally a $178 premier seat for a total of $73.50. This was one time I did FAR better at TKTS than I could do in advance. And it wasn't only because I was online only two days ahead. I just spent a while looking for two Newsies tickets for various dates in April and May and had absolutely NO luck for anything even remotely decent. It also irritates me that online they won't discount front row mezzanine with the codes-- they only sell them at premier pricing -- $178 for matinees!
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

I'm the OP. Thanks to all for your replies. I did print the broadwaybox.com coupon and will simply stop by the theatre box office with the coupon to select and purchase our tickets. Since we plan to attend a Wednesday matinee, I thought I'd stop by the box office mid-afternoon on Sunday. Does that sound like a good day/time to buy the tickets? Thanks again.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 11:47 AM

Yes. The Winter Garden Box Office is open on Sunday noon to 6 PM.